Radeon X700XT vs Nvidia 6600GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 10, 2004 2:16:22 AM

Hey,

I'm sadly going to be parting with my beloved 3 year old Radeon 8500 soon,
when either of these cards are available in AGP.

I've long been a fan of ATI hardware mainly due to more speed, better image
quality, more feautures etc.

However the Nvidia 6600GT is looking slightly more attractive judging by
reviews. What would you guys pick? I'm looking for honest opinions. I'm not
here to cause a flaming war between nvidia fan boys and ati fan boys. I'm a
fan of whatever is faster!

Thanks

Dan
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 2:57:19 AM

Dan wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm sadly going to be parting with my beloved 3 year old Radeon 8500 soon,
> when either of these cards are available in AGP.
>
> I've long been a fan of ATI hardware mainly due to more speed, better image
> quality, more feautures etc.
>
> However the Nvidia 6600GT is looking slightly more attractive judging by
> reviews. What would you guys pick? I'm looking for honest opinions. I'm not
> here to cause a flaming war between nvidia fan boys and ati fan boys. I'm a
> fan of whatever is faster!
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

If the X700XT has 256 megs of ram (as opposed to 128 for the Nvidia),
wouldn't it render more pixels in demanding games like Doom3 and HL2, in
other words, sustain a higher pixel fill rate?

Ron
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 10:26:14 AM

"Rockin Ronnie" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Dan wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I'm sadly going to be parting with my beloved 3 year old Radeon 8500
>> soon,
>> when either of these cards are available in AGP.
>>
>> I've long been a fan of ATI hardware mainly due to more speed, better
>> image
>> quality, more feautures etc.
>>
>> However the Nvidia 6600GT is looking slightly more attractive judging by
>> reviews. What would you guys pick? I'm looking for honest opinions. I'm
>> not
>> here to cause a flaming war between nvidia fan boys and ati fan boys. I'm
>> fan of whatever is faster!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dan
>>

> If the X700XT has 256 megs of ram (as opposed to 128 for the Nvidia),
> wouldn't it render more pixels in demanding games like Doom3 and HL2, in
> other words, sustain a higher pixel fill rate?
>
> Ron

Not necessarily.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 11:15:34 AM

On 11/9/2004 3:16 PM Dan brightened our day with:

>Hey,
>
>I'm sadly going to be parting with my beloved 3 year old Radeon 8500 soon,
>when either of these cards are available in AGP.
>
>I've long been a fan of ATI hardware mainly due to more speed, better image
>quality, more feautures etc.
>
>However the Nvidia 6600GT is looking slightly more attractive judging by
>reviews. What would you guys pick? I'm looking for honest opinions. I'm not
>here to cause a flaming war between nvidia fan boys and ati fan boys. I'm a
>fan of whatever is faster!
>
>Thanks
>
>Dan

http://www.guru3d.com/ has a poll up on there front page asking a