XP causing McAfee Virus Scan to hang when scanning computer

u-n-d-e-f-i-n-e-d-undefined

I have been an XP user for only a few weeks and have had no problems
except for the last few days when trying to run McAfee Virus Scan on my
pc. McAfee has run perfectly on my pc but now it hangs, freezes, when
it reaches a certain file in the scan. The problem is so frustrating
as I cannot even close down the computer in the normal way and have to
switch off the power.

McAfee Technical Help inform me that this file,
c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\usmtdef.inf, may be corrupted and,
to be honest they have been good in trying to resolve this issue for
me. Steps taken include disabling system restore in safe mode and
running the virus scan but it has not worked. My PC supplier has
turned out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Not only are
they virtually impossible to contact, it took me three attempts to get
someone to even answer their phone, but I have found out that my
warranty calls for me to contact them on a Premium line at maximum
costs per minute. A ten minute call which did not resolve the problem
cost me £2.50p per minute. Of course, Microsoft dont want to know and
refer you to the PC supplier for warranty issues or tech help - *RANT
OVER!*

Does anyone know what the file mentioned above represents, if it is
part of a service pack download from Microsoft can I uninstall it and
reinstall the service pack from the Microsoft Update downloads site?

Any advice would be really much appreciated.

Cheers

--
Cantthinkofone

peter

If you are sure you don't need to uninstall any Windows updates/hotfixes -
yes.
Help here: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php/

--
Peter