ATI and standard signals

Hello,
I'd like to buy Radeon, perhaps aiw, and I've seen good auctions of
ati videocards on ebay. I'd first like to know if each one can accept
PAL or NTSC input (antenna). I was wondering the same thing for the FM
stuff. Can anyone tell ?
thanks for reading,
R.H.
9 answers Last reply
More about standard signals

    Atiste, R., H. wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I'd like to buy Radeon, perhaps aiw, and I've seen good auctions of
    > ati videocards on ebay. I'd first like to know if each one can accept
    > PAL or NTSC input (antenna). I was wondering the same thing for the FM
    > stuff. Can anyone tell ?
    > thanks for reading,
    > R.H.

    the cards are either pal or ntsc.
    dunno about fm

    <Atiste R. H.> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I'd like to buy Radeon, perhaps aiw, and I've seen good auctions of
    > ati videocards on ebay. I'd first like to know if each one can accept
    > PAL or NTSC input (antenna). I was wondering the same thing for the FM
    > stuff. Can anyone tell ?
    > thanks for reading,
    > R.H.

    As Gordon referred to, the tuners (ie antenna input) are capable of
    receiving EITHER "Universal PAL/SECAM" or NTSC (this second card also
    includes PAL M/N reception for parts of South America). The video input
    however is software selectable for all formats on all cards. If you live in
    Belgium you'll need the Universal PAL/SECAM flavour as Belgium uses PAL B/G

    Here's an excellent website on the topic of TV broadcast formats
    http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/compare.html

    Paul

    "Paul Murphy" <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <Atiste R. H.> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> I'd like to buy Radeon, perhaps aiw, and I've seen good auctions of
    >> ati videocards on ebay. I'd first like to know if each one can accept
    >> PAL or NTSC input (antenna). I was wondering the same thing for the FM
    >> stuff. Can anyone tell ?
    >> thanks for reading,
    >> R.H.
    >
    > As Gordon referred to, the tuners (ie antenna input) are capable of
    > receiving EITHER "Universal PAL/SECAM" or NTSC (this second card also
    > includes PAL M/N reception for parts of South America). The video input
    > however is software selectable for all formats on all cards. If you live
    > in Belgium you'll need the Universal PAL/SECAM flavour as Belgium uses PAL
    > B/G
    >
    > Here's an excellent website on the topic of TV broadcast formats
    > http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/compare.html
    >
    > Paul
    And so far the only TV Tuner cards made by ATI which include FM Radio
    funtionality are the All in Wonder 9600 Pro and the eHome Wonder PCI card,
    the latter for Windows XP Media Centre Edition only. Standby for the release
    of the X800 All In Wonder though (if you have a bottomless pit full of money
    to pay for one that is - going by past history the fastest All In Wonders
    are always very expensive initially).

    Paul

    Le Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:36:59 -0000, "Paul Murphy"
    <p_murphynothanks@tospamhotmail.com> a écrit :
    >> As Gordon referred to, the tuners (ie antenna input) are capable of
    >> receiving EITHER "Universal PAL/SECAM" or NTSC (this second card also
    >> includes PAL M/N reception for parts of South America). The video input
    >> however is software selectable for all formats on all cards. If you live
    >> in Belgium you'll need the Universal PAL/SECAM flavour as Belgium uses PAL
    >> B/G
    >>
    >> Here's an excellent website on the topic of TV broadcast formats
    >> http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/compare.html
    >>
    >> Paul
    >And so far the only TV Tuner cards made by ATI which include FM Radio
    >funtionality are the All in Wonder 9600 Pro and the eHome Wonder PCI card,
    >the latter for Windows XP Media Centre Edition only. Standby for the release
    >of the X800 All In Wonder though (if you have a bottomless pit full of money
    >to pay for one that is - going by past history the fastest All In Wonders
    >are always very expensive initially).
    >
    >Paul

    Thank you very much,
    your help's very appreciated.

    Atiste R. H.

    Re: "so far the only TV Tuner cards made by ATI which include FM Radio
    funtionality are the All in Wonder 9600 Pro and the eHome Wonder PCI
    card, the latter for Windows XP Media Centre Edition only."

    I was unable to install the e-Home wonder at all, even for MCE.
    Further, a check of the web shows that the problem which I encountered
    (Setup was unable to install the application ....) is systemic and
    widespread (although not universal).

    ATI has, from what I can tell, fallen WAY behind Hauppauge in their
    tuner cards. The AIW cards, which SHOULD be the way to go for MCE,
    don't have hardware MPEG that MCE all but requires, and many think that
    they have significantly inferior image quality as well. My conclusion:
    If you are building a media center system, abandon ATI & go with
    Hauppauge [using separate video cards (possibly still ATI) and tuners].

    [by the way, it's an American Indian name and is pronounced "hop-hog"
    ..... seriously]

    > Re: "so far the only TV Tuner cards made by ATI which include FM Radio
    > funtionality are the All in Wonder 9600 Pro and the eHome Wonder PCI card,
    > the latter for Windows XP Media Centre Edition only."
    >
    > I was unable to install the e-Home wonder at all, even for MCE. Further, a
    > check of the web shows that the problem which I encountered (Setup was
    > unable to install the application ....) is systemic and widespread
    > (although not universal).
    >
    > ATI has, from what I can tell, fallen WAY behind Hauppauge in their tuner
    > cards. The AIW cards, which SHOULD be the way to go for MCE, don't have
    > hardware MPEG that MCE all but requires, and many think that they have
    > significantly inferior image quality as well. My conclusion: If you are
    > building a media center system, abandon ATI & go with Hauppauge [using
    > separate video cards (possibly still ATI) and tuners].
    >
    > [by the way, it's an American Indian name and is pronounced "hop-hog" ....
    > seriously]

    Have you tried the brand new drivers from ATIs website for the eHome Wonder
    (both with and without FM tuner)? These work fine under MCE 2005 for me and
    supposedly support dual tuners (I only have one eHome Wonder at the moment
    so cant comment on that functionality). If you want dual tuners, apparently
    the tuner cards have to be identical which means an All In Wonder type setup
    for dual tuners under MCE 2005 is impossible. Dell (at least) HAS released
    an MCE 2004 machine which used All In Wonder graphics. They got around the
    requirement for hardware encoding by using a special driver which ATI called
    "Encode" just to make the card compatible with MCE 2004 - a sort of winmodem
    of the MCE Tuner cards which uses the host CPU to do all the donkey work.
    ATI haven't released an Encode version for MCE 2005 though.

    Paul

    I tried every driver I could get my hands on, including some drivers on
    the Dell web site intended only for Dell systems. I was unable to get
    the card to install at all.

    By the way, MCE 2005 is supposed to support TRIPLE tuners in the same
    box, but they must all be the exact same model.

    I've been a supporter and user of ATI AIW cards since they came out, the
    original 4 meg rage-based AIW in about 1997, but ATI is way behind the
    8-ball on this one. The e-Home Wonder is not a new card, and they have
    been aware of the problem with their install disk for a LONG time and
    have chosen to ignore it.

    Paul Murphy wrote:

    > "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Re: "so far the only TV Tuner cards made by ATI which include FM Radio
    >>funtionality are the All in Wonder 9600 Pro and the eHome Wonder PCI card,
    >>the latter for Windows XP Media Centre Edition only."
    >>
    >>I was unable to install the e-Home wonder at all, even for MCE. Further, a
    >>check of the web shows that the problem which I encountered (Setup was
    >>unable to install the application ....) is systemic and widespread
    >>(although not universal).
    >>
    >>ATI has, from what I can tell, fallen WAY behind Hauppauge in their tuner
    >>cards. The AIW cards, which SHOULD be the way to go for MCE, don't have
    >>hardware MPEG that MCE all but requires, and many think that they have
    >>significantly inferior image quality as well. My conclusion: If you are
    >>building a media center system, abandon ATI & go with Hauppauge [using
    >>separate video cards (possibly still ATI) and tuners].
    >>
    >>[by the way, it's an American Indian name and is pronounced "hop-hog" ....
    >>seriously]
    >

    > Have you tried the brand new drivers from ATIs website for the eHome Wonder
    > (both with and without FM tuner)? These work fine under MCE 2005 for me and
    > supposedly support dual tuners (I only have one eHome Wonder at the moment
    > so cant comment on that functionality). If you want dual tuners, apparently
    > the tuner cards have to be identical which means an All In Wonder type setup
    > for dual tuners under MCE 2005 is impossible. Dell (at least) HAS released
    > an MCE 2004 machine which used All In Wonder graphics. They got around the
    > requirement for hardware encoding by using a special driver which ATI called
    > "Encode" just to make the card compatible with MCE 2004 - a sort of winmodem
    > of the MCE Tuner cards which uses the host CPU to do all the donkey work.
    > ATI haven't released an Encode version for MCE 2005 though.
    >
    > Paul

    The capability is there for triple tuners if you're in a country that has
    the required broadcast signals but as for plain old amalogue TV (which all
    All In Wonders natively support), a maximum of 2 identical supported
    analogue tuners may be installed and certainly not 3 - thats according to
    footnote 3 (the small print at the bottom of Microsofts Web Page about MCE
    2005 features here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/whatsnew.mspx ).
    If you've tried every driver theres a very high chance that with all that
    installing going on, the system has become corrupted, perhaps by remnants of
    old drivers left behind or perhaps drivers which weren't intended for the
    hardware. A reinstall from scratch with a restoration of your data from back
    up may be in order. I only obtained my (one) eHome Wonder fairly recently
    and cant comment on how long they've been out except that they haven't been
    on ATIs website for that long - knowing what ATI is like on speed of release
    the PAL/SECAM version provably came out 6 months or so after the NTSC
    version so that would make that version at least quite new!

    Have you tried installing these eHome Wonder drivers without using any
    "install disk" http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-mce-ehome-4-08-223-19039.exe
    ? If it plays up for you on a clean installatiuon of XP MCE with no other
    background apps/utilities running at the time, I'd fire an email off to ATI
    Tech Support about it. Let us know the results!

    Paul

Radeon Ebay ATI Graphics