Does the 9700 Pro come with thermal compound?

Ryan

I just got a genuine ATi 9700 Pro in order to be able to play HL2. I
was wondering if it comes with thermal compound between the heat sink
and the GPU? I have a tube of some white thermal paste I could put on
there if they don't come with any. But I didn't want to take it apart
to see, I was hoping someone here would know. I probably will end up
overclocking it a little in the next few weeks, and want to make sure
it has adequate cooling.

Also are those stick-on VGA memory coolers worth anything? Would it
be advisable to stick some on this card?

thanks,
-Ryan

My ATI 9700 Pro came with one of those thermal pads. There is also a
shim surrounding the gpu so they use a thick pad to take up the space.
Thick thermal paste is not a good idea! (those pads are not the
greatest either!)

Also I believe that once you remove the stock plastic push pins that
hold the oem assembly in place, they will most likely be ruined.

I replaced my stock 9700 pro HS/fan with a VGA Silencer which has
worked out great. I also removed the shim which is NOT ADVISEABLE
SINCE THE RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE GPU IS QUITE POSSIBLE.

I was prepared to buy another card if I ruined it, and have had the
9700 Pro since it came out....good card !!

I recommend the Artic VGA Silencer (look for it using Google) if you
want to do a change out. Bear in mind it is large and will take up the
PCI slot adjacent to the AGP....It is also very quiet!

On 10 Nov 2004 05:54:58 -0800, zirconx9@yahoo.com (Ryan) wrote:

>I just got a genuine ATi 9700 Pro in order to be able to play HL2. I
>was wondering if it comes with thermal compound between the heat sink
>and the GPU? I have a tube of some white thermal paste I could put on
>there if they don't come with any. But I didn't want to take it apart
>to see, I was hoping someone here would know. I probably will end up
>overclocking it a little in the next few weeks, and want to make sure
>it has adequate cooling.
>
>Also are those stick-on VGA memory coolers worth anything? Would it
>be advisable to stick some on this card?
>
>thanks,
>-Ryan

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

If it's new, don't bother. But the thermal tape used on the gpu does dry
out over time, and good compound will lower temps a few degrees. A couple
problems are that there can be a gap between gpu and heatsink due to the
shim around the gpu, either remove the shim like I did (carefully) or use
extra compound to make sure you get full coverage; the other issue is that
it takes some effort to remove the heatsink, twist it from side to side
instead of prying it off.

rms

I can heartily recommend the Arctic VGA Silencer as well. I have one on a
9800 Pro. I ordered it when I ordered the card, and put it on before the
first install. Does a great job, and even helps reduce my case temp also. No
problems overclocking unless I get really crazy.

--
Don Burnette

Heywood wrote:
> My ATI 9700 Pro came with one of those thermal pads. There is also a
> shim surrounding the gpu so they use a thick pad to take up the space.
> Thick thermal paste is not a good idea! (those pads are not the
> greatest either!)
>
> Also I believe that once you remove the stock plastic push pins that
> hold the oem assembly in place, they will most likely be ruined.
>
> I replaced my stock 9700 pro HS/fan with a VGA Silencer which has
> worked out great. I also removed the shim which is NOT ADVISEABLE
> SINCE THE RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE GPU IS QUITE POSSIBLE.
>
> I was prepared to buy another card if I ruined it, and have had the
> 9700 Pro since it came out....good card !!
>
> I recommend the Artic VGA Silencer (look for it using Google) if you
> want to do a change out. Bear in mind it is large and will take up the
> PCI slot adjacent to the AGP....It is also very quiet!
>
> On 10 Nov 2004 05:54:58 -0800, zirconx9@yahoo.com (Ryan) wrote:
>
>> I just got a genuine ATi 9700 Pro in order to be able to play HL2. I
>> was wondering if it comes with thermal compound between the heat sink
>> and the GPU? I have a tube of some white thermal paste I could put
>> on there if they don't come with any. But I didn't want to take it
>> apart to see, I was hoping someone here would know. I probably will
>> end up overclocking it a little in the next few weeks, and want to
>> make sure it has adequate cooling.
>>
>> Also are those stick-on VGA memory coolers worth anything? Would it
>> be advisable to stick some on this card?
>>
>> thanks,
>> -Ryan

I agree with Haywood, best bet is an Artic Silencer, i put mine on and the
overclocking was loads better to 9800pro speeds. Ive had mine since the
card first appeared and im not giving it up yet.

doughy

<Heywood> wrote in message
> My ATI 9700 Pro came with one of those thermal pads. There is also a
> shim surrounding the gpu so they use a thick pad to take up the space.
> Thick thermal paste is not a good idea! (those pads are not the
> greatest either!)
>
> Also I believe that once you remove the stock plastic push pins that
> hold the oem assembly in place, they will most likely be ruined.
>
> I replaced my stock 9700 pro HS/fan with a VGA Silencer which has
> worked out great. I also removed the shim which is NOT ADVISEABLE
> SINCE THE RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE GPU IS QUITE POSSIBLE.
>
> I was prepared to buy another card if I ruined it, and have had the
> 9700 Pro since it came out....good card !!
>
> I recommend the Artic VGA Silencer (look for it using Google) if you
> want to do a change out. Bear in mind it is large and will take up the
> PCI slot adjacent to the AGP....It is also very quiet!
>
> On 10 Nov 2004 05:54:58 -0800, zirconx9@yahoo.com (Ryan) wrote:
>
>>I just got a genuine ATi 9700 Pro in order to be able to play HL2. I
>>was wondering if it comes with thermal compound between the heat sink
>>and the GPU? I have a tube of some white thermal paste I could put on
>>there if they don't come with any. But I didn't want to take it apart
>>to see, I was hoping someone here would know. I probably will end up
>>overclocking it a little in the next few weeks, and want to make sure
>>it has adequate cooling.
>>
>>Also are those stick-on VGA memory coolers worth anything? Would it
>>be advisable to stick some on this card?
>>
>>thanks,
>>-Ryan

Ryan

I've put the Arctic VGA Silencer on my Christmas list, thanks.

Does anyone know if it solves the problem of the shim preventing full
contact with the CPU? I'm hoping it's shaped to drop down inside of
it. If not, does the revision 2 or 3 of the Arctic VGA Silencer do
this?

-Ryan

Ryan wrote:
> I've put the Arctic VGA Silencer on my Christmas list, thanks.
>
> Does anyone know if it solves the problem of the shim preventing full
> contact with the CPU? I'm hoping it's shaped to drop down inside of
> it. If not, does the revision 2 or 3 of the Arctic VGA Silencer do
> this?
>
> -Ryan

I have the revision 2 I believe on my 9800 Pro, no shim trouble at all.

--
Don Burnette

I thought the shim was hindering mine but i made sure i had enough thermal
compound and tightened it up pretty good, As its been said before I was
prepared for the card to break but its running excellent at 9800 pro speeds.

doughnut