9800 Pro 128Mb or 9600XT 256Mb - which one to use?

taipan

I've recently picked up a new PC via a deal with my employer and have
ordered an Evesham X800XT PE for it (whenever they get some in stock) and so
I passed my former PC onto my g/f who is a bit of a Sims 2 fanatic.

My new system came with a ATI 9600XT 256Mb ViVo which I'll obviously be
removing once the X800 arrives but I'm just wondering if my assumption that
the 9800 Pro 128Mb I've left in my old PC is a better bet than the 9600 XT
for my g/f. The specs of the PC are Athlon XP2800+ Barton, 1Gb DDR (400)
and Audigy (v1) on an Asus A7V8X motherboard.

I just assume the 9800 Pro is better due to it's speed but then again the
9600XT is fairly quick and has more memory - besides Sims 2, she also
ocassionally plays Call Of Duty, Doom 3 and probably HL2 when it arrives.

Which would you guys recommend of the 2 cards?

TIA

--
TP

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> I just assume the 9800 Pro is better due to it's speed but then again the
> 9600XT is fairly quick and has more memory - besides Sims 2, she also
> ocassionally plays Call Of Duty, Doom 3 and probably HL2 when it arrives.
>
> Which would you guys recommend of the 2 cards?

No comparison....the 128Mb 9800 Pro is way above the performance any 9600XT.
It has 8 pipelines and is a 256bit card. The 9600XT has 4 pipelines and is a
128bit card. The 128Mb vs 256Mb of video memory makes no difference in
performance.

In article <cmu00p$1re$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, Taipan says...
> I've recently picked up a new PC via a deal with my employer and have
> ordered an Evesham X800XT PE for it (whenever they get some in stock) and so
> I passed my former PC onto my g/f who is a bit of a Sims 2 fanatic.
>
> My new system came with a ATI 9600XT 256Mb ViVo which I'll obviously be
> removing once the X800 arrives but I'm just wondering if my assumption that
> the 9800 Pro 128Mb I've left in my old PC is a better bet than the 9600 XT
> for my g/f. The specs of the PC are Athlon XP2800+ Barton, 1Gb DDR (400)
> and Audigy (v1) on an Asus A7V8X motherboard.
>
> I just assume the 9800 Pro is better due to it's speed but then again the
> 9600XT is fairly quick and has more memory - besides Sims 2, she also
> ocassionally plays Call Of Duty, Doom 3 and probably HL2 when it arrives.

9800Pro overclocked to 9800XT speeds.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

The 9800 is a MUCH better card, and is noticeably faster.

--
DaveW

"Taipan" <empty@blackhole.com> wrote in message
> I've recently picked up a new PC via a deal with my employer and have
> ordered an Evesham X800XT PE for it (whenever they get some in stock) and
> so I passed my former PC onto my g/f who is a bit of a Sims 2 fanatic.
>
> My new system came with a ATI 9600XT 256Mb ViVo which I'll obviously be
> removing once the X800 arrives but I'm just wondering if my assumption
> that the 9800 Pro 128Mb I've left in my old PC is a better bet than the
> 9600 XT for my g/f. The specs of the PC are Athlon XP2800+ Barton, 1Gb
> DDR (400) and Audigy (v1) on an Asus A7V8X motherboard.
>
> I just assume the 9800 Pro is better due to it's speed but then again the
> 9600XT is fairly quick and has more memory - besides Sims 2, she also
> ocassionally plays Call Of Duty, Doom 3 and probably HL2 when it arrives.
>
> Which would you guys recommend of the 2 cards?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> TP

TRENDING THREADS