XP causing McAfee Virus Scan to hang when scanning computer

Peter Wrote:
> If you are sure you don't need to uninstall any Windows updates/hotfixes
> -
> yes.
> Help he http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php/
>
> --
> Peter
> Toronto, Canada
> XP Home SP2
> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
> "Cantthinkofone" Cantthinkofone.1np31v@pcbanter.net wrote in message
>
> u-n-d-e-f-i-n-e-d-undefined
>
> I have been an XP user for only a few weeks and have had no problems
> except for the last few days when trying to run McAfee Virus Scan on
> my
> pc. McAfee has run perfectly on my pc but now it hangs, freezes,
> when
> it reaches a certain file in the scan. The problem is so frustrating
> as I cannot even close down the computer in the normal way and have
> switch off the power.
>
> McAfee Technical Help inform me that this file,
> c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\usmtdef.inf, may be corrupted
> and,
> to be honest they have been good in trying to resolve this issue for
> me. Steps taken include disabling system restore in safe mode and
> running the virus scan but it has not worked. My PC supplier has
> turned out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Not only are
> they virtually impossible to contact, it took me three attempts to
> get
> someone to even answer their phone, but I have found out that my
> warranty calls for me to contact them on a Premium line at maximum
> costs per minute. A ten minute call which did not resolve the
> problem
> cost me £2.50p per minute. Of course, Microsoft dont want to know
> and
> refer you to the PC supplier for warranty issues or tech help - *RANT
> OVER!*
>
> Does anyone know what the file mentioned above represents, if it is
> part of a service pack download from Microsoft can I uninstall it and
> reinstall the service pack from the Microsoft Update downloads site?
>
> Any advice would be really much appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Cantthinkofone-

Peter,

Thanks, I will check out the Hyperlink you provided.

Canthinkofone

--
Cantthinkofone

peter

You are welcome. Actually I realised that the link I gave, for some reason,
doesn't display properly...try simply: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/

--
"Cantthinkofone" <Cantthinkofone.1nqh1r@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Peter Wrote:
>> If you are sure you don't need to uninstall any Windows updates/hotfixes
>> -
>> yes.
>> Help he http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php/
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>> Toronto, Canada
>> XP Home SP2
>> P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
>> "Cantthinkofone" Cantthinkofone.1np31v@pcbanter.net wrote in message
>>
>> u-n-d-e-f-i-n-e-d-undefined
>>
>> I have been an XP user for only a few weeks and have had no problems
>> except for the last few days when trying to run McAfee Virus Scan on
>> my
>> pc. McAfee has run perfectly on my pc but now it hangs, freezes,
>> when
>> it reaches a certain file in the scan. The problem is so frustrating
>> as I cannot even close down the computer in the normal way and have
>> switch off the power.
>>
>> McAfee Technical Help inform me that this file,
>> c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\usmtdef.inf, may be corrupted
>> and,
>> to be honest they have been good in trying to resolve this issue for
>> me. Steps taken include disabling system restore in safe mode and
>> running the virus scan but it has not worked. My PC supplier has
>> turned out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Not only are
>> they virtually impossible to contact, it took me three attempts to
>> get
>> someone to even answer their phone, but I have found out that my
>> warranty calls for me to contact them on a Premium line at maximum
>> costs per minute. A ten minute call which did not resolve the
>> problem
>> cost me £2.50p per minute. Of course, Microsoft dont want to know
>> and
>> refer you to the PC supplier for warranty issues or tech help - *RANT
>> OVER!*
>>
>> Does anyone know what the file mentioned above represents, if it is
>> part of a service pack download from Microsoft can I uninstall it and
>> reinstall the service pack from the Microsoft Update downloads site?
>>
>> Any advice would be really much appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> --
>> Cantthinkofone-
>
> Peter,
>
> Thanks, I will check out the Hyperlink you provided.
>
> Canthinkofone
>

> --
> Cantthinkofone

Dinesh

"Cantthinkofone" wrote:

> Peter Wrote:
> > If you are sure you don't need to uninstall any Windows updates/hotfixes
> > -
> > yes.
> > Help he http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php/
> >
> > --
> > Peter
> > Toronto, Canada
> > XP Home SP2
> > P4 dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 1.0gb RAM, 160gb HD
> > "Cantthinkofone" Cantthinkofone.1np31v@pcbanter.net wrote in message
> >
> > u-n-d-e-f-i-n-e-d-undefined
> >
> > I have been an XP user for only a few weeks and have had no problems
> > except for the last few days when trying to run McAfee Virus Scan on
> > my
> > pc. McAfee has run perfectly on my pc but now it hangs, freezes,
> > when
> > it reaches a certain file in the scan. The problem is so frustrating
> > as I cannot even close down the computer in the normal way and have
> > switch off the power.
> >
> > McAfee Technical Help inform me that this file,
> > c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\usmtdef.inf, may be corrupted
> > and,
> > to be honest they have been good in trying to resolve this issue for
> > me. Steps taken include disabling system restore in safe mode and
> > running the virus scan but it has not worked. My PC supplier has
> > turned out to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Not only are
> > they virtually impossible to contact, it took me three attempts to
> > get
> > someone to even answer their phone, but I have found out that my
> > warranty calls for me to contact them on a Premium line at maximum
> > costs per minute. A ten minute call which did not resolve the
> > problem
> > cost me £2.50p per minute. Of course, Microsoft dont want to know
> > and
> > refer you to the PC supplier for warranty issues or tech help - *RANT
> > OVER!*
> >
> > Does anyone know what the file mentioned above represents, if it is
> > part of a service pack download from Microsoft can I uninstall it and
> > reinstall the service pack from the Microsoft Update downloads site?
> >
> > Any advice would be really much appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > --
> > Cantthinkofone-
>
> Peter,
>
> Thanks, I will check out the Hyperlink you provided.
>
> Canthinkofone
>

> --
> Cantthinkofone

Dinesh