ram requirements to run 9000 AIW?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a 64 meg ATI 9000 AWI card installed in a system running XP Pro (SP1)
with 512 megs ram.

Can anyone point to recommendations for the amount of system RAM it is
necessary to have installed to expect the TV tuner to work in a small window
while I am doing routine tasks like browsing and email?

I find the picture hangs, sometimes after 15 minutes sometimes earlier and
it doesn't seem to be related to what else I am doing on the computer, or
how large the TV tuner's screen is. (But maybe I am just not being observant
enough)

I wonder if there is an ATI setting I can adjust to aid tuner performance,
or is 512 megs of system RAM just not enough? Should I be able to expect the
TV to play uninterrupted while I brose, say, or write email?

Would more RAM help in any specific way?

Newbie questions I know but I would appreciate any informed comment.

Thanks,
Eric
ealesonwheels@yahoo.com

Eric wrote:

> I have a 64 meg ATI 9000 AWI card installed in a system running XP Pro
> (SP1) with 512 megs ram.
>
> Can anyone point to recommendations for the amount of system RAM it is
> necessary to have installed to expect the TV tuner to work in a small
> window while I am doing routine tasks like browsing and email?
>
> I find the picture hangs, sometimes after 15 minutes sometimes earlier and
> it doesn't seem to be related to what else I am doing on the computer, or
> how large the TV tuner's screen is. (But maybe I am just not being
> observant enough)
>
> I wonder if there is an ATI setting I can adjust to aid tuner performance,
> or is 512 megs of system RAM just not enough? Should I be able to expect
> the TV to play uninterrupted while I brose, say, or write email?
>
> Would more RAM help in any specific way?
>
> Newbie questions I know but I would appreciate any informed comment.

If it's hanging after 15 minutes it's either a configuration problem or a
defective component. Are you running the latest drivers and multimedia
center?

You should not see hanging, but if you are doing something that loads the
machine heavily you may see dropouts or pauses.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Eric wrote:

> I have a 64 meg ATI 9000 AWI card installed in a system running XP Pro (SP1)
> with 512 megs ram.
>
> Can anyone point to recommendations for the amount of system RAM it is
> necessary to have installed to expect the TV tuner to work in a small window
> while I am doing routine tasks like browsing and email?
>
> I find the picture hangs, sometimes after 15 minutes sometimes earlier and
> it doesn't seem to be related to what else I am doing on the computer, or
> how large the TV tuner's screen is. (But maybe I am just not being observant
> enough)
>
> I wonder if there is an ATI setting I can adjust to aid tuner performance,
> or is 512 megs of system RAM just not enough? Should I be able to expect the
> TV to play uninterrupted while I brose, say, or write email?
>
> Would more RAM help in any specific way?
>
> Newbie questions I know but I would appreciate any informed comment.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
> ealesonwheels@yahoo.com

you could increase the AGP aperture setting in the bios to 128, this is
basically ram the video will steal/share from your system ram

"Eric" <ealesonwheels@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 64 meg ATI 9000 AWI card installed in a system running XP Pro
>(SP1)
> with 512 megs ram.
>
> Can anyone point to recommendations for the amount of system RAM it is
> necessary to have installed to expect the TV tuner to work in a small
> window
> while I am doing routine tasks like browsing and email?
>
> I find the picture hangs, sometimes after 15 minutes sometimes earlier and
> it doesn't seem to be related to what else I am doing on the computer, or
> how large the TV tuner's screen is. (But maybe I am just not being
> observant
> enough)

I had the same problem until I upgraded my power supply from 300W to 500W.

Tom Lake

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions - I have updated my software and will see if that
helps.

Eric