Mcafee Viruscan And Windows Xp

have been an XP user for only a few weeks and have had no problems
except for the last few days when trying to run McAfee Virus Scan on my
pc. McAfee has run perfectly on my pc but now it hangs, freezes, when it
reaches a certain file in the scan. The problem is so frustrating as I
cannot even close down the computer in the normal way and have to
switch off the power.

McAfee Technical Help inform me that this file,
c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\usmtdef.inf, which is the point
that it hangs at, may be corrupted and, to be honest they have been
good in trying to resolve this issue for me. Steps taken include
disabling system restore in safe mode and running the virus scan but it
has not worked. My PC supplier has turned out to be as much use as a
chocolate fireguard. Not only are they virtually impossible to contact,
it took me three attempts to get someone to even answer their phone, but
I have found out that my warranty calls for me to contact them on a
Premium line at maximum costs per minute. A ten minute call which did
not resolve the problem cost me £2.50p per minute. Of course, Microsoft
dont want to know and refer you to the PC supplier for warranty issues
or tech help - RANT OVER! :eek:

Does anyone know what the file mentioned above represents, is it a part
of a service pack download from Microsoft and, if so, can I uninstall it
and reinstall the service pack from the Microsoft Update downloads site?

Any advice would be really much appreciated.

Cheers

--
Cantthinkofone

peter

I already replied to you... if you remove that you wont be able to uninstall
Updates and hotfixes from Windows Update...if that's OK then you can delete
it.
I've never known McAfee hang like that, often it will take quite a while to
scan certain objects.
The link I gave in your previous post wasn't a good one - try
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

From: "Cantthinkofone" <Cantthinkofone.1nqh1q@pcbanter.net>

| have been an XP user for only a few weeks and have had no problems
| except for the last few days when trying to run McAfee Virus Scan on my
| pc. McAfee has run perfectly on my pc but now it hangs, freezes, when it
| reaches a certain file in the scan. The problem is so frustrating as I
| cannot even close down the computer in the normal way and have to
| switch off the power.
|
| McAfee Technical Help inform me that this
| file,c:\windows\$ntservicepackuninstall$\usmtdef.inf, which is the pointthat it hangs at,
| may be corrupted and, to be honest they have beengood in trying to resolve this issue for
| me. Steps taken includedisabling system restore in safe mode and running the virus scan
| but ithas not worked. My PC supplier has turned out to be as much use as achocolate
| fireguard. Not only are they virtually impossible to contact,it took me three attempts to
| get someone to even answer their phone, butI have found out that my warranty calls for me
| to contact them on aPremium line at maximum costs per minute. A ten minute call which
| didnot resolve the problem cost me £2.50p per minute. Of course, Microsoftdont want to
| know and refer you to the PC supplier for warranty issuesor tech help - RANT OVER! :eek:
|
| Does anyone know what the file mentioned above represents, is it a partof a service pack
| download from Microsoft and, if so, can I uninstall itand reinstall the service pack from
| the Microsoft Update downloads site?
|
| Any advice would be really much appreciated.
|
| Cheers-- Cantthinkofone

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> delete files

Open a Command Prompt.

In the Command Prompt type the following...

CHKDSK C: /F

If it replies..
"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
(Y/N)"

Choose - Y

type; EXIT

Reboot the PC.

A full Check Disk will want to be performed, allow it.

When it reboots, perform a defragmentation of the hard disk.

You can get to the Defragmenting program easily by executing; dfrg.msc

Start --> run -->
type; dfrg.msc

--
Dave