9800 Power Connection... Okay to Daisy-chain?

My DVD burner started acting up and I found the only way to make use of it
was to plug it into the power cord that branches out of my 9800 pro. The
system seems stable and I'm guessing this'll be okay so long as I never try
to play Doom 3 and burn a DVD at the same time.

Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA

--
BAMMO
3 answers Last reply

    BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious wrote:

    > My DVD burner started acting up and I found the only way to make use of it
    > was to plug it into the power cord that branches out of my 9800 pro. The
    > system seems stable and I'm guessing this'll be okay so long as I never
    > try to play Doom 3 and burn a DVD at the same time.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with this?

    Should be fine as long as the cables are heavy enough to carry the current.
    If you take the power supply apart you'll find that all the cables are
    terminated to the same traces--there aren't separate supplies feeding each
    cable or anything.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious wrote:
    > My DVD burner started acting up and I found the only way to make use of it
    > was to plug it into the power cord that branches out of my 9800 pro. The
    > system seems stable and I'm guessing this'll be okay so long as I never try
    > to play Doom 3 and burn a DVD at the same time.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with this?

    I'm daisy chaining mine off the one that runs the HDD.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    The HDD/FDD connectors are specified for up to 10 amps,the wires 16 amps.
    However,at least the 9500/9700 series is very sensible to line noise,which can
    be caused by drive servos.(will cause screen fuzzyness)

Radeon Connection DVD Burner Power Graphics