Problem with still photo capture on DV camera

I recently bought a JVC GR-DV800U DV camcorder. It also has a still photo
mode at maximum 1600x1200 resolution. Problem is, I cannot get any software
to pull the photos off at the right resolution. They all think I'm trying
to capture it as video so the resolution is usually poor. The Windows XP
interface is completely useless and doesn't even see the files half the
time, and when it does it also thinks I'm wanting to capture them from
video.

The only luck I've had was using a friend's Palm Pilot, which was able to
read my SD card and retrieve the 1600x1200x24 resolution photos. So I at
least know it is taking them at the resolution it claims it can.

Am I being forced into getting a card reader just to retrieve the photos at
the proper resolution? Is there any software that will actually retrieve
them correctly? The software that came with the camera certainly doesn't
accomplish this.

TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about problem photo capture camera

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:15:32 GMT, Phil <philh69@comcast.net> was
    understood to have stated the following:

    >I recently bought a JVC GR-DV800U DV camcorder. It also has a still photo
    >mode at maximum 1600x1200 resolution. Problem is, I cannot get any software
    >to pull the photos off at the right resolution. They all think I'm trying
    >to capture it as video so the resolution is usually poor. The Windows XP
    >interface is completely useless and doesn't even see the files half the
    >time, and when it does it also thinks I'm wanting to capture them from
    >video.
    >
    >The only luck I've had was using a friend's Palm Pilot, which was able to
    >read my SD card and retrieve the 1600x1200x24 resolution photos. So I at
    >least know it is taking them at the resolution it claims it can.
    >
    >Am I being forced into getting a card reader just to retrieve the photos at
    >the proper resolution? Is there any software that will actually retrieve
    >them correctly? The software that came with the camera certainly doesn't
    >accomplish this.

    I have no clue about this particular model, but I'm curious: does it
    show up as a mass storage device when you plug it into the computer?
    If so, you can use Explorer to copy the image files to the proper
    location on your hard drive without having to purchase a card reader.
    That being said, however, I find it extremely handy to have a Lexar
    Media JumpDrive Trio (available from, of all places, Wal-Mart for $20)
    in my pocket. This allows me to move files between the SD cards I tote
    around for my camera and PDA.

    "David W. Poole, Jr."
    <DeadSpammersAreGoodSpammers.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in

    > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:15:32 GMT, Phil <philh69@comcast.net> was
    > understood to have stated the following:
    >
    >>I recently bought a JVC GR-DV800U DV camcorder. It also has a still
    >>photo mode at maximum 1600x1200 resolution. Problem is, I cannot get
    >>any software to pull the photos off at the right resolution. They all
    >>think I'm trying to capture it as video so the resolution is usually
    >>poor. The Windows XP interface is completely useless and doesn't even
    >>see the files half the time, and when it does it also thinks I'm
    >>wanting to capture them from video.
    >>

    > I have no clue about this particular model, but I'm curious: does it
    > show up as a mass storage device when you plug it into the computer?
    > If so, you can use Explorer to copy the image files to the proper
    > location on your hard drive without having to purchase a card reader.
    > That being said, however, I find it extremely handy to have a Lexar
    > Media JumpDrive Trio (available from, of all places, Wal-Mart for $20)
    > in my pocket. This allows me to move files between the SD cards I tote
    > around for my camera and PDA.

    No, I don't think it sees it as a mass storage device.

    When I run it through the firewire it shows up on My Computer as "AVC
    Compliant DV Camcorder" I can right click and "Get Pictures" but it doesn't
    show them in a list. It will show a preview of whatever picture is being
    displayed on the camera at the time, and I can click "Take Picture" which
    will produce a 720x480 still image. That happens to be the video resolution
    of the camera. Granted it's not bad quality, but it's not the right
    resolution, either.

    Unfortunately the USB card readers I've seen are all USB 2.0, which I don't
    have yet. I'm not familiar with the JumpDrive but I might look into it.

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:43:43 GMT, Phil <philh69@comcast.net> was
    understood to have stated the following:

    >No, I don't think it sees it as a mass storage device.

    Wow; I thought all cameras did this these days. I guess that's what I
    get for thinking. :-/

    >When I run it through the firewire it shows up on My Computer as "AVC
    >Compliant DV Camcorder" I can right click and "Get Pictures" but it doesn't
    >show them in a list. It will show a preview of whatever picture is being
    >displayed on the camera at the time, and I can click "Take Picture" which
    >will produce a 720x480 still image. That happens to be the video resolution
    >of the camera. Granted it's not bad quality, but it's not the right
    >resolution, either.

    Does the camera have a USB interface? The only DV I've messed with so
    far has both the firewire and USB interface. It's been a few months,
    but I believe he needed to hook the thing to his PC using both cables
    for different reasons.

    >Unfortunately the USB card readers I've seen are all USB 2.0, which I don't
    >have yet. I'm not familiar with the JumpDrive but I might look into it.

    Unless there are issues with your system, you can pick up USB 2.0 card
    pretty cheap. Plus, I *thought* that USB 2.0 devices were backward
    compatible with 1.1, so you could hook up a 2.0 device to a 1.1 port,
    although naturally with a degradation in throughput.

    The Trio is a smallish device, large enough to hold a MMC, SD, or MS
    card, and it's very handy. It's about the size of a cigarette lighter.
    I keep one card in my PDA, one card in my camera, and one card in the
    Trio, so I can pull images and other files when I'm around a USB
    equipped PC, without having to tote cables.

    "Phil" <philh69@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "David W. Poole, Jr."
    > <DeadSpammersAreGoodSpammers.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
    >
    > > On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 19:15:32 GMT, Phil <philh69@comcast.net> was
    > > understood to have stated the following:
    > >
    > >>I recently bought a JVC GR-DV800U DV camcorder. It also has a still
    > >>photo mode at maximum 1600x1200 resolution. Problem is, I cannot get
    > >>any software to pull the photos off at the right resolution. They all
    > >>think I'm trying to capture it as video so the resolution is usually
    > >>poor. The Windows XP interface is completely useless and doesn't even
    > >>see the files half the time, and when it does it also thinks I'm
    > >>wanting to capture them from video.
    > >>

    > > I have no clue about this particular model, but I'm curious: does it
    > > show up as a mass storage device when you plug it into the computer?
    > > If so, you can use Explorer to copy the image files to the proper
    > > location on your hard drive without having to purchase a card reader.
    > > That being said, however, I find it extremely handy to have a Lexar
    > > Media JumpDrive Trio (available from, of all places, Wal-Mart for $20)
    > > in my pocket. This allows me to move files between the SD cards I tote
    > > around for my camera and PDA.
    > >

    > No, I don't think it sees it as a mass storage device.
    >
    > When I run it through the firewire it shows up on My Computer as "AVC
    > Compliant DV Camcorder" I can right click and "Get Pictures" but it
    doesn't
    > show them in a list. It will show a preview of whatever picture is being
    > displayed on the camera at the time, and I can click "Take Picture" which
    > will produce a 720x480 still image. That happens to be the video
    resolution
    > of the camera. Granted it's not bad quality, but it's not the right
    > resolution, either.
    >
    > Unfortunately the USB card readers I've seen are all USB 2.0, which I
    don't
    > have yet. I'm not familiar with the JumpDrive but I might look into it.

    The USB 2.0 card reader should be backwards compatible to be used in a USB 1
    port.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    > On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 08:43:43 GMT, Phil <philh69@comcast.net> was
    > understood to have stated the following:
    >
    >>No, I don't think it sees it as a mass storage device.
    >
    > Wow; I thought all cameras did this these days. I guess that's what I
    > get for thinking. :-/

    Hold that thought! :)

    > Does the camera have a USB interface? The only DV I've messed with so
    > far has both the firewire and USB interface. It's been a few months,
    > but I believe he needed to hook the thing to his PC using both cables
    > for different reasons.

    You are absolutely right. It does have a USB interface, I just hadn't been
    using it because I was under the impression that the firewire interface was
    superior. As soon as I hooked it up via USB, XP detected it and now on My
    Computer it shows up as Removable Drive G, where I can easily retrieve the
    photos at the proper resolution.:) I just didn't think about the
    possibility that it might interact with it differently via USB

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 20:30:11 GMT, Phil <philh69@comcast.net> was
    understood to have stated the following:

    >> Wow; I thought all cameras did this these days. I guess that's what I
    >> get for thinking. :-/
    >
    >Hold that thought! :)

    I'll try. :-D

    >> Does the camera have a USB interface? The only DV I've messed with so
    >> far has both the firewire and USB interface. It's been a few months,
    >> but I believe he needed to hook the thing to his PC using both cables
    >> for different reasons.
    >
    >You are absolutely right. It does have a USB interface, I just hadn't been
    >using it because I was under the impression that the firewire interface was
    >superior. As soon as I hooked it up via USB, XP detected it and now on My
    >Computer it shows up as Removable Drive G, where I can easily retrieve the
    >photos at the proper resolution.:) I just didn't think about the
    >possibility that it might interact with it differently via USB

    Fantastic! I'm glad it's working for you. I'm also grateful to know
    that the FireWire and USB interfaces work differently. Not that I'm
    glad they work differently; just glad to know that they do work
    differently. I'll try this if I ever encounter a similar scenario
    again. It's kinda disappointing, IMO, that the USB & Firewire
    interfaces for the device behave differently, given how much greater
    bandwidth is available via FireWire.

    Still, though, depending on your needs, that JumpDrive is a lot easier
    to tote around than the cable, as it fits in your pocket so well.
    Though I keep my USB cable in the bag, it's so much easier and quicker
    to pull the card from the camera or PDA and slap it into the thumb
    drive than it is to unwrap the cable and connect it up.

    >Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

    Glad it worked. Happy 'graphing!

Cameras Photo Resolution Peripherals