Video card comparisons

Anyone know of anwhere to compare card features.. other than the ATI website
that offers little.

I have one PC that I am sorting for HTPC that has a Radeon 9100 IGP Chipset
(Sapphire M39 mainboard). I also have a spare 64MB GF4 440 x8 AGP card
sitting doing nothing that could also be used. Would like to know the better
to use - the AGP GF card or onboard Radeon.

Pretty sure the PC will be used mostly for Home Theatre stuff primarily if
not solely.
(Basically looking to see if the onboard Radeon is up to scratch)

ALSO....

Have my main PC with a R9000Pro in it and am building a PC for a brother and
can get a 256BM 9550 (not SE) at a decent price. Can't justify a 9600 XT, as
he has never had a PC and want to keep the cost down. Would like to see a
comparo between the 9550 and my 9000Pro other than the ATI website.... and
would the 9550 be THAT much better over a 128MB 9200SE that can be had for
half the price of the 9550...

cheers,
Gavern

www.tomshardware.com

"Gavern" <gavernSPAMLESS@msn.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of anwhere to compare card features.. other than the ATI
> website
> that offers little.
>
> I have one PC that I am sorting for HTPC that has a Radeon 9100 IGP
> Chipset
> (Sapphire M39 mainboard). I also have a spare 64MB GF4 440 x8 AGP card
> sitting doing nothing that could also be used. Would like to know the
> better
> to use - the AGP GF card or onboard Radeon.
>
> Pretty sure the PC will be used mostly for Home Theatre stuff primarily if
> not solely.
> (Basically looking to see if the onboard Radeon is up to scratch)
>
> ALSO....
>
> Have my main PC with a R9000Pro in it and am building a PC for a brother
> and
> can get a 256BM 9550 (not SE) at a decent price. Can't justify a 9600 XT,
> as
> he has never had a PC and want to keep the cost down. Would like to see a
> comparo between the 9550 and my 9000Pro other than the ATI website.... and
> would the 9550 be THAT much better over a 128MB 9200SE that can be had for
> half the price of the 9550...
>
> cheers,
> Gavern

On 11/11/2004 7:25 PM Gavern brightened our day with:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Gavern" <gavernSPAMLESS@msn.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of anwhere to compare card features.. other than the ATI
> website
> that offers little.
go to www.tomshardware.com and search for articles "VGA Charts"
(there are 3 of them) and you'll see old , current and new cards all
compared.

> I have one PC that I am sorting for HTPC that has a Radeon 9100 IGP
> Chipset
> (Sapphire M39 mainboard). I also have a spare 64MB GF4 440 x8 AGP card
> sitting doing nothing that could also be used. Would like to know the
> better
> to use - the AGP GF card or onboard Radeon.
the TV out of a Radeon is better than a GeForce so use that.
plus Nvidia drivers since 41.09 had Macrovision included.

> Have my main PC with a R9000Pro in it and am building a PC for a brother
> and
> can get a 256BM 9550 (not SE) at a decent price. Can't justify a 9600 XT,
> as
> he has never had a PC and want to keep the cost down. Would like to see a
> comparo between the 9550 and my 9000Pro other than the ATI website.... and
> would the 9550 be THAT much better over a 128MB 9200SE that can be had for
> half the price of the 9550...
>
> cheers,
> Gavern

the 9550 is slower than the 9500 but has full Dx9 support. (which isnt
really
worth worrying about) It may have more pipelines and bandwidth than
the 9000 to 9200 cards but check the manufacturers website to be sure.
Don't touch the 9200SE - 64bit memory is slow as treacle.
Better yet - look for a 2ndhand Geforce 4 ti on Ebay

Thanks guys.....

(Slaps forehead for not remembering good ol' Tom...)

Gavern