ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb - Good Value for $230?

I see that Microcenter has the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb card on sale
for $230, which is $50 off it's normal price of $280.

This is the actual ATI brand, and not a knock-off like Saphire or
Powercolor, etc...

Considering that most ATI brand 128mb cards go for anywhere from
$215-$250 this looks like a great deal, but If I'm going to spend $230
+ $15 for tax = $245 is it worth it, or for $250 are there other,
superior cards, including NVidia's on the market that are a better
value?

Thanks in advance!
Jay J

"Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com> wrote in message

" ...or for $250 are there other, superior cards, including NVidia's on the
market that are a better value? "

I would tend to prefer a 128MB card from the newer range, such as the
6600GT. http://www.bit-tech.net/review/357/6

I guess I should have mentioned, my mobo only supports AGP 8x and not PCIe,
so this would be considering the best AGP based card for $250...

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> " ...or for $250 are there other, superior cards, including NVidia's on
the
> market that are a better value? "
>

> I would tend to prefer a 128MB card from the newer range, such as the
> 6600GT. http://www.bit-tech.net/review/357/6

Dino

the only reason I say this is because this will give you a good upgrade over
the 9800..I have a 9600XT and am looking at that board as an upgrade. You
may as well go current technology if it is with in your budget..if it
isn't...I would wait till it is.

"Jay J" <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message

" I guess I should have mentioned, my mobo only supports AGP 8x and not
PCIe, so this would be considering the best AGP based card for $250... "

Hopefully the AGP 6600GT will be available in the next few weeks, and
benchmarks will be just as good as the PCI-E versions.

I personally play games on my 19" CRT at 1024x768, and with as much AF and
FSAA as it can handle. Reviews have generally shown that newer cards like
the 6600GT, 6800 and X700 fair much better than the 9800 series when AF and
FSAA are implemented with higher resolutions. Also, the addition of
technologies such as PS3.0 give newer cards the edge over their PS2.0
counterparts.