security in xp

a b 8 Security
April 19, 2005 7:23:04 PM

Microsoft, I think its about time XP had more complex built in encyption
methods with password protection on both files and folders on the system. And
this should be for both Home and Professional Editions, not just the Pro!

More about : security

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 19, 2005 8:33:06 PM

Since Microsoft does not officially monitor these newsgroups, this is a bad
forum for suggestions such as this for Microsoft if you do not also place it
where Microsoft will see it:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=114491
http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp?fro...

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"respect" <respect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft, I think its about time XP had more complex built in encyption
> methods with password protection on both files and folders on the system.
> And
> this should be for both Home and Professional Editions, not just the Pro!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 19, 2005 11:35:29 PM

respect wrote:
> Microsoft, I think its about time XP had more complex built in encyption
> methods with password protection on both files and folders on the system. And
> this should be for both Home and Professional Editions, not just the Pro!

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
allow, the crude and cumbersome method of password protection for
individual applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the
superior method of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to
individual users and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
a b 8 Security
April 20, 2005 12:21:33 AM

Have you read how many users lose all their data files because they didn't
read the fine print? And now you ask them to make it more complex, hehehe -
anyway, you need to go the MS site where "Jupiter" has pointed out and make
the suggestion. Who knows, enough people ask, they may actually
"Get-er-Done".
--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"respect" <respect@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft, I think its about time XP had more complex built in encyption
> methods with password protection on both files and folders on the system.
> And
> this should be for both Home and Professional Editions, not just the Pro!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 20, 2005 5:30:07 AM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:23:04 -0700, respect wrote:

> Microsoft, I think its about time XP had more complex built in encyption
> methods with password protection on both files and folders on the
> system. And this should be for both Home and Professional Editions, not
> just the Pro!

With Pro being as cheap as it is, why not just purchase Pro and leave the
Home version in its cheaper form so that more users can afford it.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me