firewall

I recently got Windows XP and the firewall isnt working. I try to enable it
and it says "Windows cannot start Windows Firewall/ICS. It was installed
on the computer by professionals. Help!
5 answers Last reply
More about firewall

    Lori wrote:

    > I recently got Windows XP and the firewall isnt working. I try to
    > enable it
    > and it says "Windows cannot start Windows Firewall/ICS. It was
    > installed
    > on the computer by professionals. Help!

    Do you have a third-party firewall or security solution (like Norton
    Internet Security) installed? If you are not sure, call the
    "professionals" and ask them.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    No I do not have a third party firewall or security solution installed.

    Lori wrote:

    > No I do not have a third party firewall or security solution
    > installed.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Lori wrote:
    >>
    >> > I recently got Windows XP and the firewall isnt working. I try to
    >> > enable it
    >> > and it says "Windows cannot start Windows Firewall/ICS. It was
    >> > installed
    >> > on the computer by professionals. Help!
    >>
    >> Do you have a third-party firewall or security solution (like Norton
    >> Internet Security) installed? If you are not sure, call the
    >> "professionals" and ask them.

    Lori, you will really have to provide more information about your system
    if you want to get help. You haven't told us anything about your
    computer, what software is running (antivirus program, antispyware
    program, etc.), if the firewall ever worked and if it did, what
    changed.

    Go here to get help in making a good post:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Then do come back and repost with all necessary details. There are lots
    of people reading this newsgroup who want to help you (like me), but
    you have to give us something with which to work.

    In the meantime, here are a few links that may help:

    FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

    MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
    Start>Run cmd [enter]
    netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
    Follow prompts and reboot.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
    The world is diminished without him.

    Silly me! I thought writing the exact message I was getting would be
    sufficient. Yes I am running antispyware and antivirus programs. The
    antispyware came with Windows XP. One would assume when it was installed
    brand new everything would be working. I was able to consult a friend and
    the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.

    Lori wrote:

    > Silly me! I thought writing the exact message I was getting would be
    > sufficient. Yes I am running antispyware and antivirus programs. The
    > antispyware came with Windows XP. One would assume when it was
    > installed
    > brand new everything would be working. I was able to consult a friend
    > and
    > the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help.

    I'm glad you got the problem sorted. You didn't actually write the exact
    error message, and you have to remember that none of us can see your
    computer from here so you have to be detailed. That would include the
    name and versions of antispyware/antivirus programs, troubleshooting
    steps you had already taken, whether a problem is new or pre-existed,
    that sort of thing. For future posts, do go to the links I gave you and
    you will then know exactly what sort of information you should include
    in your initial post about a problem.

    Enjoy your new computer.

    Malke
    --