Logon Password

How can I get past the logon message screen when it is asking for a password
and I have never had a password. I did a Window-Washer and rebooted and it
is saying I need a password to get in. Help!!

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:28:02 -0700, "Cammiee"
<Cammiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can I get past the logon message screen when it is asking for a password
>and I have never had a password. I did a Window-Washer and rebooted and it
>is saying I need a password to get in. Help!!
Have you tried just hitting the enter key?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:DD6D11AA-6195-41E1-816A-1C77B7281149@microsoft.com,
Cammiee <Cammiee@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> How can I get past the logon message screen when it is asking for a
> password and I have never had a password. I did a Window-Washer and
> rebooted and it is saying I need a password to get in. Help!!

This is seemingly cropping up more and more and I'm beginning to think it's
something being done by malware of some type. Reboot, press the F8 key over
and over, and see if you can get into the admin account. If you can't then
try this tool to squish the admin password:

I know it says it's for NT but it's XP compatable.

You might then find these links handy as I'm really expecting that malware's
done this. Probably something in the virus category?

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

I'd give that a try...

Galen