Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

source deicated server (again)

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:41:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

how do you get source dedicated server to run maps other than lockdown and
overwatch? I have downloaded some smaller maps to use but don`t know how to
make S:D S recognise them.
Many thanks..

More about : source deicated server

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:07:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Martin Pick" wrote

> how do you get source dedicated server to run maps other than lockdown and
> overwatch? I have downloaded some smaller maps to use but don`t know how
> to make S:D S recognise them.

Can you start the darn thing with one the two Valve maps?
There's a dedicated site for srcds
http://www.srcds.com/db/engine.php?subaction=showfull&i...

I managed to get my srcds run with a custom map last night
Obviously I don't have my batch/config files as I'm at work

I have altered/added these files
autoexec.cfg
server.cfg
motd.txt
mapcycle.txt
maplist.txt

But if you don't find anything I'll post the setup this evening
Hell I'll even add the darn thing to the AGHL Faq :-)

- Peter
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:35c62tF4l6e6nU1@individual.net...
> "Martin Pick" wrote
>
>> how do you get source dedicated server to run maps other than lockdown
>> and overwatch? I have downloaded some smaller maps to use but don`t know
>> how to make S:D S recognise them.
>
> Can you start the darn thing with one the two Valve maps?
> There's a dedicated site for srcds
> http://www.srcds.com/db/engine.php?subaction=showfull&i...
>
> I managed to get my srcds run with a custom map last night
> Obviously I don't have my batch/config files as I'm at work
>
> I have altered/added these files
> autoexec.cfg
> server.cfg
> motd.txt
> mapcycle.txt
> maplist.txt
>
> But if you don't find anything I'll post the setup this evening
> Hell I'll even add the darn thing to the AGHL Faq :-)
>
> - Peter
>
i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
folder? :-/
Related resources
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:47:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Martin Pick" wrote
>
> i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
> directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
> don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
> folder? :-/
hl2mp

You can have several source mods under srcds
Eg CS etc

- Peter
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:06:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Martin Pick" wrote

> i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
> directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
> don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
> folder? :-/
You can get advanced info at
http://www.srcds.com/
http://www.phenylshouse.com/tutorial-2.html

Ok here goes
Main folder (eg hl2dm)
--------------------------------
Files:

motd.txt - welcome message in the <pre></pre> section
--------------------------------
Eg

<pre>
Welcome to Peters DM playground
Current playtest: dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha

CU @ AGHL
</pre>
--------------------------------

maplist.txt - list of maps to be available
--------------------------------
dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha
//dm_lockdown
//dm_overwatch
--------------------------------

mapcycle.txt - how map cycles eg frequenzy of the various maps etc
--------------------------------
dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha
//dm_lockdown
//dm_overwatch
--------------------------------

gameinfo.txt - path setup etc (don't change)

Config folder (eg hl2dm/cfg)
--------------------------------
Files:

skill.cfg
--------------------------------
Health/shield distribution
Amount of damage if shot
Eg increase/decrease damage for headshots, chest, stomach, arm, leg

server.cfg
--------------------------------
Hostname
footsteps, flashlight, gravity, playerspeed, admin password, etc
One important here
sv_region
This tells the master steam servers which area your server is based in. The
variables are: 0: US East coast, 1: US West coast, 2: South America, 3:
Europe, 4: Asia, 5: Australia, 6: Middle East, 7: Africa.

autoexec.cfg (basically command line things)
--------------------------------
map dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha
sv_password "mysecretusrloginpwd"
mp_timelimit 30
mp_teamplay 0 //(change to 1 if you want a team server)

That's just about it :-)

Oh quite forgot
batch files (just love those sobs)

updatehl2dm (paramters in one line)
--------------------------------
HldsUpdateTool.exe
-command update
-game hl2mp
-dir E:\games\srcds
-username steamid
-password somesecretsteamloginpwd
pause

hl2dm.cfg
--------------------------------
srcds.exe -console -game hl2mp -maxplayers 8 -exec autoexec.cfg -port
27015 -autoupdate



- Peter
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:13:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" wrote

Bugger ;-)
Last file at the bottom

> hl2dm.cfg
--------^^^

Should have been:

hl2dm.cmd
> --------------------------------
> srcds.exe -console -game hl2mp -maxplayers 8 -exec autoexec.cfg -port
> 27015 -autoupdate
>
:-) Peter
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:53:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:35cnkdF4l68e6U1@individual.net...
> "Martin Pick" wrote
>
>> i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
>> directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
>> don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
>> folder? :-/
> You can get advanced info at
> http://www.srcds.com/
> http://www.phenylshouse.com/tutorial-2.html
>
>
Thanks peter. most helpful. :-)
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:11:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:35co22F4ji918U1@individual.net...
> "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote
>
> Bugger ;-)
> Last file at the bottom
>
>> hl2dm.cfg
> --------^^^
>
> Should have been:
>
> hl2dm.cmd
>> --------------------------------
>> srcds.exe -console -game hl2mp -maxplayers 8 -exec autoexec.cfg -port
>> 27015 -autoupdate
>>
> :-) Peter
>
ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested Peter,
but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and server.cfg.
Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve folder? i
understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings already
comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too? any more help
is appreciated.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Martin Pick" wrote

> ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested Peter,
> but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and
> server.cfg. Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve
> folder? i understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings
> already comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too? any
> more help is appreciated.
Actually my fault - a litle bit :-)
I was assuming that you meant the srcds not the dedicated server you can
find in "play games"
Sorry for the inconvinience :-)
Not very easy these things, oh well

Anyway assuming that I have you hooked on the "real" stuff
Here goes

You need to get the srcds from Steam
http://www.steampowered.com/?area=getsteamnow

You need to install this program in another folder than the original Steam
installation
eg <drive>:/games/srcds

srcds is a _free_ server tool to set up several dedicated servers without
the need of purchasing HL2 for them all
You can create a new free Steam Account for srcds or use an existing account
I have an old HL1 only account I am using

If you'd like to continue with the "play games -> dedicated server" thing
just let me know
Some of the files needs to be altered slightly :-)
Also the path etc is somewhat different

But it's ok - I'll be glad to help you with this

rdgs/Peter
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:27:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:35daerF4l51bpU1@individual.net...
> "Martin Pick" wrote
>
>> ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested
>> Peter, but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and
>> server.cfg. Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve
>> folder? i understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings
>> already comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too? any
>> more help is appreciated.
> Actually my fault - a litle bit :-)
> I was assuming that you meant the srcds not the dedicated server you can
> find in "play games"
> Sorry for the inconvinience :-)
> Not very easy these things, oh well
>
> Anyway assuming that I have you hooked on the "real" stuff
> Here goes
>
> You need to get the srcds from Steam
> http://www.steampowered.com/?area=getsteamnow
>
> You need to install this program in another folder than the original Steam
> installation
> eg <drive>:/games/srcds
>
> srcds is a _free_ server tool to set up several dedicated servers without
> the need of purchasing HL2 for them all
> You can create a new free Steam Account for srcds or use an existing
> account
> I have an old HL1 only account I am using
>
> If you'd like to continue with the "play games -> dedicated server" thing
> just let me know
> Some of the files needs to be altered slightly :-)
> Also the path etc is somewhat different
>
> But it's ok - I'll be glad to help you with this
>
> rdgs/Peter
>
thanks, peter. I`m geting there. Never bothered with this on HL1 cos never
had a decent connection. Have got srcds.exe now, but cannot find any files
called server.cfg. there is a file called valve.rc that i can open with
notepad. is this where the server commands go? it has the hostname command
in it and commands to run user autoexec`s.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:27:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ccGdnfCqMaCL5WzcSa8jmA@karoo.co.uk...
>
> "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:35daerF4l51bpU1@individual.net...
>> "Martin Pick" wrote
>>
>>> ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested
>>> Peter, but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and
>>> server.cfg. Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve
>>> folder? i understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings
>>> already comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too?
>>> any more help is appreciated.
>> Actually my fault - a litle bit :-)
>> I was assuming that you meant the srcds not the dedicated server you can
>> find in "play games"
>> Sorry for the inconvinience :-)
>> Not very easy these things, oh well
>>
>> Anyway assuming that I have you hooked on the "real" stuff
>> Here goes
>>
>> You need to get the srcds from Steam
>> http://www.steampowered.com/?area=getsteamnow
>>
>> You need to install this program in another folder than the original
>> Steam installation
>> eg <drive>:/games/srcds
>>
>> srcds is a _free_ server tool to set up several dedicated servers without
>> the need of purchasing HL2 for them all
>> You can create a new free Steam Account for srcds or use an existing
>> account
>> I have an old HL1 only account I am using
>>
>> If you'd like to continue with the "play games -> dedicated server" thing
>> just let me know
>> Some of the files needs to be altered slightly :-)
>> Also the path etc is somewhat different
>>
>> But it's ok - I'll be glad to help you with this
>>
>> rdgs/Peter
>>
> thanks, peter. I`m geting there. Never bothered with this on HL1 cos never
> had a decent connection. Have got srcds.exe now, but cannot find any files
> called server.cfg. there is a file called valve.rc that i can open with
> notepad. is this where the server commands go? it has the hostname command
> in it and commands to run user autoexec`s.
>
ran it anyway and got a long list of sounds that couldn`t initialize and the
server didn`t appear on the steam network.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:21:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Martin Pick"

> thanks, peter. I`m geting there. Never bothered with this on HL1 cos never
> had a decent connection. Have got srcds.exe now, but cannot find any files
> called server.cfg. there is a file called valve.rc that i can open with
> notepad. is this where the server commands go? it has the hostname command
> in it and commands to run user autoexec`s.
No create from scratch if the cfg files is missing
Probably are as I created them from scratch

- Peter
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:28:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Martin Pick"

> ran it anyway and got a long list of sounds that couldn`t initialize and
> the server didn`t appear on the steam network.
Bugger

Here's the original content

------------------------------------
// load the base configuration
//exec default.cfg
// Setup custom controller
exec joystick.cfg

// run a user script file if present
exec autoexec.cfg

//
// stuff command line statements
//
stuffcmds

hostname "Half-Life 2 Deathmatch"

mp_forcerespawn 0
---------------------------------------

Select ansi coding when saving from notepad

I am also at the very early stages here, learning by doing
I'll assume that the valve.rc is a kind of base or standard configuration

HTH/Peter
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:51:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

It's a lot easier to just go to play games on your steam menu, go down
to tools and start your dedicated DM server from there... Once you
start the server you can configure the server by highlighting a line
and click on edit... You can change map cycle, # of players, internet
or LAN etc... Only thing they don't have is time limit for map
cycle...

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:28:01 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Martin Pick"
>
>> ran it anyway and got a long list of sounds that couldn`t initialize and
>> the server didn`t appear on the steam network.
>Bugger
>
>Here's the original content
>
>------------------------------------
>// load the base configuration
>//exec default.cfg
>// Setup custom controller
>exec joystick.cfg
>
>// run a user script file if present
>exec autoexec.cfg
>
>//
>// stuff command line statements
>//
>stuffcmds
>
>hostname "Half-Life 2 Deathmatch"
>
>mp_forcerespawn 0
>---------------------------------------
>
>Select ansi coding when saving from notepad
>
>I am also at the very early stages here, learning by doing
>I'll assume that the valve.rc is a kind of base or standard configuration
>
>HTH/Peter
>



"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 4:03:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Cannon Fodder" wrote

> It's a lot easier to just go to play games on your steam menu, go down
> to tools and start your dedicated DM server from there... Once you
> start the server you can configure the server by highlighting a line
> and click on edit... You can change map cycle, # of players, internet
> or LAN etc... Only thing they don't have is time limit for map
> cycle...
>
Compared to a single batch file and a Steam Free (tm) computer?

I have full control ...

- Peter
!