source deicated server (again)

how do you get source dedicated server to run maps other than lockdown and
overwatch? I have downloaded some smaller maps to use but don`t know how to
make S:DS recognise them.
Many thanks..
14 answers Last reply
More about source deicated server again

    "Martin Pick" wrote

    > how do you get source dedicated server to run maps other than lockdown and
    > overwatch? I have downloaded some smaller maps to use but don`t know how
    > to make S:DS recognise them.

    Can you start the darn thing with one the two Valve maps?
    There's a dedicated site for srcds
    http://www.srcds.com/db/engine.php?subaction=showfull&id=1097362093

    I managed to get my srcds run with a custom map last night
    Obviously I don't have my batch/config files as I'm at work

    I have altered/added these files
    autoexec.cfg
    server.cfg
    motd.txt
    mapcycle.txt
    maplist.txt

    But if you don't find anything I'll post the setup this evening
    Hell I'll even add the darn thing to the AGHL Faq :-)

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Martin Pick" wrote
    >
    >> how do you get source dedicated server to run maps other than lockdown
    >> and overwatch? I have downloaded some smaller maps to use but don`t know
    >> how to make S:DS recognise them.
    >
    > Can you start the darn thing with one the two Valve maps?
    > There's a dedicated site for srcds
    > http://www.srcds.com/db/engine.php?subaction=showfull&id=1097362093
    >
    > I managed to get my srcds run with a custom map last night
    > Obviously I don't have my batch/config files as I'm at work
    >
    > I have altered/added these files
    > autoexec.cfg
    > server.cfg
    > motd.txt
    > mapcycle.txt
    > maplist.txt
    >
    > But if you don't find anything I'll post the setup this evening
    > Hell I'll even add the darn thing to the AGHL Faq :-)
    >
    > - Peter

    i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
    directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
    don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
    folder? :-/

    "Martin Pick" wrote

    > i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
    > directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
    > don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
    > folder? :-/
    hl2mp

    You can have several source mods under srcds
    Eg CS etc

    - Peter

    "Martin Pick" wrote

    > i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
    > directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
    > don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
    > folder? :-/
    You can get advanced info at
    http://www.srcds.com/
    http://www.phenylshouse.com/tutorial-2.html

    Ok here goes
    Main folder (eg hl2dm)
    --------------------------------
    Files:

    motd.txt - welcome message in the <pre></pre> section
    --------------------------------
    Eg

    <pre>
    Welcome to Peters DM playground
    Current playtest: dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha

    CU @ AGHL
    </pre>
    --------------------------------

    maplist.txt - list of maps to be available
    --------------------------------
    dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha
    //dm_lockdown
    //dm_overwatch
    --------------------------------

    mapcycle.txt - how map cycles eg frequenzy of the various maps etc
    --------------------------------
    dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha
    //dm_lockdown
    //dm_overwatch
    --------------------------------

    gameinfo.txt - path setup etc (don't change)

    Config folder (eg hl2dm/cfg)
    --------------------------------
    Files:

    skill.cfg
    --------------------------------
    Health/shield distribution
    Amount of damage if shot
    Eg increase/decrease damage for headshots, chest, stomach, arm, leg

    server.cfg
    --------------------------------
    Hostname
    footsteps, flashlight, gravity, playerspeed, admin password, etc
    One important here
    sv_region
    This tells the master steam servers which area your server is based in. The
    variables are: 0: US East coast, 1: US West coast, 2: South America, 3:
    Europe, 4: Asia, 5: Australia, 6: Middle East, 7: Africa.

    autoexec.cfg (basically command line things)
    --------------------------------
    map dm_gasworks_aghl_alpha
    sv_password "mysecretusrloginpwd"
    mp_timelimit 30
    mp_teamplay 0 //(change to 1 if you want a team server)

    That's just about it :-)

    Oh quite forgot
    batch files (just love those sobs)

    updatehl2dm (paramters in one line)
    --------------------------------
    HldsUpdateTool.exe
    -command update
    -game hl2mp
    -dir E:\games\srcds
    -username steamid
    -password somesecretsteamloginpwd
    pause

    hl2dm.cfg
    --------------------------------
    srcds.exe -console -game hl2mp -maxplayers 8 -exec autoexec.cfg -port
    27015 -autoupdate

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote

    Bugger ;-)
    Last file at the bottom

    > hl2dm.cfg
    --------^^^

    Should have been:

    hl2dm.cmd

    > "Martin Pick" wrote
    >
    >> i`d appreciate the setup posting as i`m kinda confused as to which
    >> directories the files go in. My version of HL2 is a steam download and i
    >> don`t know if these files need to be in the srcds folder or the HL2mp
    >> folder? :-/
    > You can get advanced info at
    > http://www.srcds.com/
    > http://www.phenylshouse.com/tutorial-2.html

    Thanks peter. most helpful. :-)

    > "Peter Lykkegaard" wrote
    >
    > Bugger ;-)
    > Last file at the bottom
    >
    >> hl2dm.cfg
    > --------^^^
    >
    > Should have been:
    >
    > hl2dm.cmd
    >> --------------------------------
    >> srcds.exe -console -game hl2mp -maxplayers 8 -exec autoexec.cfg -port
    >> 27015 -autoupdate
    >>
    > :-) Peter

    ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested Peter,
    but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and server.cfg.
    Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve folder? i
    understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings already
    comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too? any more help
    is appreciated.

    "Martin Pick" wrote

    > ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested Peter,
    > but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and
    > server.cfg. Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve
    > folder? i understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings
    > already comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too? any
    > more help is appreciated.
    Actually my fault - a litle bit :-)
    I was assuming that you meant the srcds not the dedicated server you can
    find in "play games"
    Sorry for the inconvinience :-)
    Not very easy these things, oh well

    Anyway assuming that I have you hooked on the "real" stuff
    Here goes

    You need to get the srcds from Steam
    http://www.steampowered.com/?area=getsteamnow

    You need to install this program in another folder than the original Steam
    installation
    eg <drive>:/games/srcds

    srcds is a _free_ server tool to set up several dedicated servers without
    the need of purchasing HL2 for them all
    You can create a new free Steam Account for srcds or use an existing account
    I have an old HL1 only account I am using

    If you'd like to continue with the "play games -> dedicated server" thing
    just let me know
    Some of the files needs to be altered slightly :-)
    Also the path etc is somewhat different

    But it's ok - I'll be glad to help you with this

    rdgs/Peter

    > "Martin Pick" wrote
    >
    >> ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested
    >> Peter, but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and
    >> server.cfg. Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve
    >> folder? i understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings
    >> already comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too? any
    >> more help is appreciated.
    > Actually my fault - a litle bit :-)
    > I was assuming that you meant the srcds not the dedicated server you can
    > find in "play games"
    > Sorry for the inconvinience :-)
    > Not very easy these things, oh well
    >
    > Anyway assuming that I have you hooked on the "real" stuff
    > Here goes
    >
    > You need to get the srcds from Steam
    > http://www.steampowered.com/?area=getsteamnow
    >
    > You need to install this program in another folder than the original Steam
    > installation
    > eg <drive>:/games/srcds
    >
    > srcds is a _free_ server tool to set up several dedicated servers without
    > the need of purchasing HL2 for them all
    > You can create a new free Steam Account for srcds or use an existing
    > account
    > I have an old HL1 only account I am using
    >
    > If you'd like to continue with the "play games -> dedicated server" thing
    > just let me know
    > Some of the files needs to be altered slightly :-)
    > Also the path etc is somewhat different
    >
    > But it's ok - I'll be glad to help you with this
    >
    > rdgs/Peter

    thanks, peter. I`m geting there. Never bothered with this on HL1 cos never
    had a decent connection. Have got srcds.exe now, but cannot find any files
    called server.cfg. there is a file called valve.rc that i can open with
    notepad. is this where the server commands go? it has the hostname command
    in it and commands to run user autoexec`s.

    "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Martin Pick" wrote
    >>
    >>> ok, been following a tutorial off one of the websites you suggested
    >>> Peter, but i seem to be missing a couple of files, namely srcds.exe and
    >>> server.cfg. Where are they normally? Should i copy them from my valve
    >>> folder? i understood most of the rest of it. Are the server settings
    >>> already comfigured or do you have to edit/create a file for them too?
    >>> any more help is appreciated.
    >> Actually my fault - a litle bit :-)
    >> I was assuming that you meant the srcds not the dedicated server you can
    >> find in "play games"
    >> Sorry for the inconvinience :-)
    >> Not very easy these things, oh well
    >>
    >> Anyway assuming that I have you hooked on the "real" stuff
    >> Here goes
    >>
    >> You need to get the srcds from Steam
    >> http://www.steampowered.com/?area=getsteamnow
    >>
    >> You need to install this program in another folder than the original
    >> Steam installation
    >> eg <drive>:/games/srcds
    >>
    >> srcds is a _free_ server tool to set up several dedicated servers without
    >> the need of purchasing HL2 for them all
    >> You can create a new free Steam Account for srcds or use an existing
    >> account
    >> I have an old HL1 only account I am using
    >>
    >> If you'd like to continue with the "play games -> dedicated server" thing
    >> just let me know
    >> Some of the files needs to be altered slightly :-)
    >> Also the path etc is somewhat different
    >>
    >> But it's ok - I'll be glad to help you with this
    >>
    >> rdgs/Peter
    >>
    > thanks, peter. I`m geting there. Never bothered with this on HL1 cos never
    > had a decent connection. Have got srcds.exe now, but cannot find any files
    > called server.cfg. there is a file called valve.rc that i can open with
    > notepad. is this where the server commands go? it has the hostname command
    > in it and commands to run user autoexec`s.

    ran it anyway and got a long list of sounds that couldn`t initialize and the
    server didn`t appear on the steam network.

    "Martin Pick"

    > thanks, peter. I`m geting there. Never bothered with this on HL1 cos never
    > had a decent connection. Have got srcds.exe now, but cannot find any files
    > called server.cfg. there is a file called valve.rc that i can open with
    > notepad. is this where the server commands go? it has the hostname command
    > in it and commands to run user autoexec`s.
    No create from scratch if the cfg files is missing
    Probably are as I created them from scratch

    - Peter

    "Martin Pick"

    > ran it anyway and got a long list of sounds that couldn`t initialize and
    > the server didn`t appear on the steam network.
    Bugger

    Here's the original content

    ------------------------------------
    // load the base configuration
    //exec default.cfg
    // Setup custom controller
    exec joystick.cfg

    // run a user script file if present
    exec autoexec.cfg

    //
    // stuff command line statements
    //
    stuffcmds

    hostname "Half-Life 2 Deathmatch"

    mp_forcerespawn 0
    ---------------------------------------

    Select ansi coding when saving from notepad

    I am also at the very early stages here, learning by doing
    I'll assume that the valve.rc is a kind of base or standard configuration

    HTH/Peter

    It's a lot easier to just go to play games on your steam menu, go down
    to tools and start your dedicated DM server from there... Once you
    start the server you can configure the server by highlighting a line
    and click on edit... You can change map cycle, # of players, internet
    or LAN etc... Only thing they don't have is time limit for map
    cycle...

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:28:01 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Martin Pick"
    >
    >> ran it anyway and got a long list of sounds that couldn`t initialize and
    >> the server didn`t appear on the steam network.
    >Bugger
    >
    >Here's the original content
    >
    >------------------------------------
    >// load the base configuration
    >//exec default.cfg
    >// Setup custom controller
    >exec joystick.cfg
    >
    >// run a user script file if present
    >exec autoexec.cfg
    >
    >//
    >// stuff command line statements
    >//
    >stuffcmds
    >
    >hostname "Half-Life 2 Deathmatch"
    >
    >mp_forcerespawn 0
    >---------------------------------------
    >
    >Select ansi coding when saving from notepad
    >
    >I am also at the very early stages here, learning by doing
    >I'll assume that the valve.rc is a kind of base or standard configuration
    >
    >HTH/Peter

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

    "Cannon Fodder" wrote

    > It's a lot easier to just go to play games on your steam menu, go down
    > to tools and start your dedicated DM server from there... Once you
    > start the server you can configure the server by highlighting a line
    > and click on edit... You can change map cycle, # of players, internet
    > or LAN etc... Only thing they don't have is time limit for map
    > cycle...

    Compared to a single batch file and a Steam Free (tm) computer?

    I have full control ...

    - Peter

Dedicated Server Servers Video Games