Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 4, 2004 3:07:32 PM

Other than disabling file sharing, is there anything I should do to
increase security when using a hotel's wireless access?

More about : hotel wireless security

June 4, 2004 4:08:49 PM

A firewall and virus scanner would be a good idea.
Most hotels these days will have a firewall between users
as well as between users and the internet. You should be
good.... I've never had any problems in a hotel before...
Don't stay online any longer then you have to...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b 8 Security
June 4, 2004 6:05:13 PM

Running the XP Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) while connected to the hotel network and public
internet is a good idea...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283673

Consider using a VPN into any corporate networks while connected to the hotel network...See your
work network administrators about that...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Charlie Hart" <cs_hart@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Other than disabling file sharing, is there anything I should do to
> increase security when using a hotel's wireless access?

---