Stupid Question...

Does the Radeon X800XT support DVD playback?

I wasn't able to download the DVD decoder from ATI with the installation
disk that came with this card; I had to use the CD that came with my
AIW9700Pro. Once I downloaded it, it installed correctly, but DVD playback
is very choppy (both video and audio).

Latest Catalyst drivers, by the way.

Many thanks in advance!

> I wasn't able to download the DVD decoder from ATI with the installation
> disk that came with this card; I had to use the CD that came with my
> AIW9700Pro. Once I downloaded it, it installed correctly, but DVD playback
> is very choppy (both video and audio).

Make sure DMA is enabled on your DVD-ROM drive.

"Michael David Garrison" <mdgarrison@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Does the Radeon X800XT support DVD playback?
>
> I wasn't able to download the DVD decoder from ATI with the installation
> disk that came with this card; I had to use the CD that came with my
> AIW9700Pro. Once I downloaded it, it installed correctly, but DVD
playback
> is very choppy (both video and audio).
>
> Latest Catalyst drivers, by the way.
>
> Many thanks in advance!

You don't need the cd to download the file. You just need it for
verification that you have the cd. Its an encoder licensing requirement I
guess. It won't install if you don't have one. Shouldn't affect playing.

Do you have UDMA turned on for the DVD drive?

Hi,

Thanks for the input!

I've got the DVD drive running in DMA mode, so that's ruled out. (Also, I'm
seeing the same behavior when playing DVDs that I've ripped to the hard
drive.)

The ATI configuration utility reports a problem with DirectX (I've got
DirectX 9.0c installed, and dxdiag.exe shows everything's in good working
order). It's also complaining that the graphics chip is "Not ATI RADEON or
more recent" -- that's troubling.

Earlier this evening, I went ahead and installed Nvidia's DVD decoder --
damned if that doesn't work great: No skipping on either video or audio,
and the feel of it seems to indicate that the decoder is using hardware
acceleration.

Are there any other X800 XT owners that have gotten the ATI decoder to work
on their system?

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Michael David Garrison" <mdgarrison@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Does the Radeon X800XT support DVD playback?
> >
> > I wasn't able to download the DVD decoder from ATI with the installation
> > disk that came with this card; I had to use the CD that came with my
> > AIW9700Pro. Once I downloaded it, it installed correctly, but DVD
> playback
> > is very choppy (both video and audio).
> >
> > Latest Catalyst drivers, by the way.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance!
> >

> You don't need the cd to download the file. You just need it for
> verification that you have the cd. Its an encoder licensing requirement I
> guess. It won't install if you don't have one. Shouldn't affect playing.
>
> Do you have UDMA turned on for the DVD drive?

"Michael David Garrison" <mdgarrison@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Does the Radeon X800XT support DVD playback?
>
> I wasn't able to download the DVD decoder from ATI with the installation
> disk that came with this card; I had to use the CD that came with my
> AIW9700Pro. Once I downloaded it, it installed correctly, but DVD
> playback
> is very choppy (both video and audio).
>
> Latest Catalyst drivers, by the way.
>
> Many thanks in advance!

A sensible answer for you - yes! Are you using ATIs MMC DVD Player and all
the associated bits that go with their DVD Decoder? I've found their DVD
Decoder to work fine within Windows MCE 2005 for both DVD Playback and eHome
Wonder TV Tuner functionality too - I have an All In Wonder 8500DV card in
this machine as well. I have had problems with choppy DVD Playback in the
past under win2k (even with DMA Transfer turned on for my IDE controller
channels) but XP has been fine all along.

Paul
PS If you still cant get it to work I have several flavours of All In Wonder
Radeons all the way up to the blistering performance of the 8500DV..... care
to swap ;-)

Hi,

I've tried it with the MMC's DVD player, and it's still giving me choppy
video/audio (and I still don't know why the ATI Configuration tool is
telling me that the card isn't a 'Radeon Class' videocard...)

But I've gotten past the ignominy of using an NVidia DVD decoder on an ATI
card -- that configuration is working fine (I was getting so frustrated
there for a while that I *almost* considered taking you up on your offer...
:)

Thanks again!

> Hi,
>
> I've tried it with the MMC's DVD player, and it's still giving me choppy
> video/audio (and I still don't know why the ATI Configuration tool is
> telling me that the card isn't a 'Radeon Class' videocard...)
>
> But I've gotten past the ignominy of using an NVidia DVD decoder on an ATI
> card -- that configuration is working fine (I was getting so frustrated
> there for a while that I *almost* considered taking you up on your
offer...
> :)
>
> Thanks again!

This from the website:
Jittery DVD Playback
On certain DVD video content you may experience sporadic jittery playback.
You may also experience this while opening other windows or applications
while DVD is playing. Make certain that you have the latest chipset drivers
for your system to ensure optimal playback, and ensure that you have DMA
enabled.

A lot of people have problems with ATI software if they don't remove all of
the NVidia. There is a reg cleaner for this.
For whatever reason AIWs don't show up as Radeons.