Can't Remember Supervisor Password...HELP

April 20, 2005 10:50:05 AM

When I go into Internet Options, click on Content and then click on Content
Advisor Enable or Settings a prompt comes up telling me a Supervisor Password
is required. There is a hint question which say's something that I should
know, but I have tried every password imaginable that would relate to the
hint (cause it is MY birthday) and nothing is working. I don't recall ever
setting up this password....I thought my brother-in-law may have, but he says
he didn't. So, how do I go about finding out what the password is or getting
it change. I am wondering if my kids somehow did this. Please HELP.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 11:29:04 AM

"Vettester" <Vettester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I go into Internet Options, click on Content and then click on
> Content
> Advisor Enable or Settings a prompt comes up telling me a Supervisor
> Password
> is required. There is a hint question which say's something that I should
> know, but I have tried every password imaginable that would relate to the
> hint (cause it is MY birthday) and nothing is working. I don't recall ever
> setting up this password....I thought my brother-in-law may have, but he
> says
> he didn't. So, how do I go about finding out what the password is or
> getting
> it change. I am wondering if my kids somehow did this. Please HELP.

Found on internet. I have not tried it and do not guarantee it.

The following steps will remove any password set in the Content
Adivisor and allow you to reset the program to its original state.

1) Click on Start and choose Run.

2) Type in RegEdit and select OK.

3) Now click on the little plus sign to the left of
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

4) Continue to drill down, always clicking on the plus sign at the
left of the named key, through Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current
Version and Policies.

5) Now click on the Ratings folder.

6) In the right pane of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called
Key. Click on it and press Delete.

7) Next, choose Registry and then Exit to exit RegEdit. You've just
deleted your original Content Advisor password.

8) Restart the computer and run Internet Explorer again.

9) Choose View and then Internet Options (or Options for version 3.x)

10) Click on the Content tab and click on Disable. When asked for a
password, don't enter anything; just click on OK. This will disable Content
Advisor because there's no longer a password.

Needless to say, with any kind of Registry edit, do a backup first!
April 20, 2005 2:18:55 PM

In news:95AA0771-846B-42DE-B57D-C1E407558B76@microsoft.com,
Vettester <Vettester@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When I go into Internet Options, click on Content and then click on
> Content Advisor Enable or Settings a prompt comes up telling me a
> Supervisor Password is required. There is a hint question which say's
> something that I should know, but I have tried every password
> imaginable that would relate to the hint (cause it is MY birthday)
> and nothing is working. I don't recall ever setting up this
> password....I thought my brother-in-law may have, but he says he
> didn't. So, how do I go about finding out what the password is or
> getting it change. I am wondering if my kids somehow did this. Please
> HELP.

PC Hell: How to Remove Content Advisor Password in Internet Explorer:
http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml

Galen
April 21, 2005 9:59:07 AM

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:95AA0771-846B-42DE-B57D-C1E407558B76@microsoft.com,
> Vettester <Vettester@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > When I go into Internet Options, click on Content and then click on
> > Content Advisor Enable or Settings a prompt comes up telling me a
> > Supervisor Password is required. There is a hint question which say's
> > something that I should know, but I have tried every password
> > imaginable that would relate to the hint (cause it is MY birthday)
> > and nothing is working. I don't recall ever setting up this
> > password....I thought my brother-in-law may have, but he says he
> > didn't. So, how do I go about finding out what the password is or
> > getting it change. I am wondering if my kids somehow did this. Please
> > HELP.
>
> PC Hell: How to Remove Content Advisor Password in Internet Explorer:
> http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
>

> Thank you very much.....your advice did the trick!!
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 10:03:05 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I actually used the post ahead of yours first
and it worked for me, so I didn't use your advice, but I do appreciate it
anyway. Thanks again.
April 21, 2005 4:36:01 PM

In news:BA1F224F-E46F-422B-B834-FB997A85EA86@microsoft.com,
Vetttester <Vetttester@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> Thank you very much.....your advice did the trick!!

It's not like I make this stuff up as I go along! <g> Okay, so I do... But
no worries... I'm glad it worked.

Galen