How to verify if client PC/Laptop is WEP or WPA enabled?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2004 4:06:04 PM

I am wondering is there tool or a way to check if the client PC has WEP or WPA turn on when connect to AP?

Thank you.
June 4, 2004 11:16:50 PM

if the ap requires wep or wpa the client couldn't connect without it being
enabled and having the proper key could they??

"PruWireless" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am wondering is there tool or a way to check if the client PC has WEP or
WPA turn on when connect to AP?

> Thank you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2004 10:56:08 AM

Dave, Thank you for the reply.

We have mobil users with laptop in the field and we want to enforce that all the laptops using wireless connection should have WPA or WEP enable. Basically we want to develop a tool to audit this and I am wondering is there a registry key to check for if WEP/WPA enable or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2004 2:52:21 PM

Dave's answer is correct. If the station doesn't have WPA or WEP enabled, it
won't be able to connect. If the station is able to connect, it has WPA or
WEP enabled. So by simply connecting successfully, you'll know they're using
a protocol.

--
Steve
steriley@microsoft.com

> Dave, Thank you for the reply.
>
> We have mobil users with laptop in the field and we want to enforce that
> all the laptops using wireless connection should have WPA or WEP enable.
> Basically we want to develop a tool to audit this and I am wondering is
> there a registry key to check for if WEP/WPA enable or not?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
June 10, 2004 2:12:24 AM

his problem is different if i understand it properly. he is looking for a
way via remote admin, sms, or some other remote tool to audit laptops to be
sure they have wpa or wep enabled for any wireless connection they use.

one question this brings up is what are the users using wireless for? if i
brought a laptop home and wanted to use my ap just to get to the internet it
is not encrypted (i'm way out in the boonies here)... but i do have a
firewall on the wan connection, and there could be a firewall on the laptop
(which probably is a real good idea for anyone traveling these days). but
if i want to access my company's network i have to use a vpn that is
encrypted... or a secure owa server which would also be encrypted.