Network printer problems

April 21, 2005 1:13:15 AM

Hi,

Have just set up 2003 server at school. XP clients now do not see installed
printers as a common resource.

Setting up a printer under administrator rights on a client does not result
in all users seeing that printer, as would normally be the case. Every new
user has to install a new printer via the add printer wizard. With 250
children and 30 clients, this is doing my head in - any ideas??

P.S: The network printer is 'seen' by the install wizard, without problems,
it just will not exist as the default for all users of that machine.

TIA
Pete
April 21, 2005 4:42:47 PM

In news:LBz9e.24200$443.14992@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net,
Pete C <peter.piper@hotmail.co.uk> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> Have just set up 2003 server at school. XP clients now do not see
> installed printers as a common resource.
>
> Setting up a printer under administrator rights on a client does not
> result in all users seeing that printer, as would normally be the
> case. Every new user has to install a new printer via the add printer
> wizard. With 250 children and 30 clients, this is doing my head in -
> any ideas??
>
> P.S: The network printer is 'seen' by the install wizard, without
> problems, it just will not exist as the default for all users of that
> machine.
>
> TIA
> Pete

Does this help?

Cannot Set Up a Default Network Printer for All Windows XP Users:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307016&Product=winxp

Galen