How do I delete these viruses?

Tags:
  • Trojan
  • Windows XP
April 20, 2005 8:24:02 PM

I downloaded the AVG Free Antivirus and ran several scans, but this scan
cannot delete these viruses:

Trojan Horse Startpage.10.AH , Trojan Horse Startpage.9.BB , Trojan Horse
Startpage.19.AO , Trojan Horse Downloader.Istbar.6.A , Trojan Horse
Downloader Winshow.BG and Java.ByteVerify!exploit. And it's telling me to
delete this cookie file 20002SC22.

Please tell me how to remove these!!! Thanks!

More about : delete viruses

April 20, 2005 9:16:59 PM

jsproberts wrote:

> I downloaded the AVG Free Antivirus and ran several scans, but this
> scan cannot delete these viruses:
>
> Trojan Horse Startpage.10.AH , Trojan Horse Startpage.9.BB , Trojan
> Horse Startpage.19.AO , Trojan Horse Downloader.Istbar.6.A , Trojan
> Horse
> Downloader Winshow.BG and Java.ByteVerify!exploit. And it's telling
> me to
> delete this cookie file 20002SC22.
>
> Please tell me how to remove these!!! Thanks!

Try scanning with TrendMicro's Sysclean. All scans for malware must be
done in Safe Mode, which is probably why AVG had a problem deleting the
files. Do a scan with Sysclean and then update your AVG definitions and
do another thorough scan with AVG in Safe Mode.

TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which has the
advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts - the
scanning engine and the virus pattern files. Delete all Temporary and
Temporary Internet Files before running the program.

1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
useful like "Sysclean".
2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made. For a more
automated way to get Sysclean, use Dave Lipman's Sysclean_FE from
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm .

3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
menu.
4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

The inability to delete viruses that it can identify is a significant
weakness in AVG. For a time I was installing AVG for clients who wanted a
free program, and saw this problem repeatedly. I no longer recommend AVG
mainly for this reason. You might take advantage of a one year free offer
for Computer Associates ETrust Antivirus available at
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
If you uninstall AVG and install ETrust you'll find it will promptly remove
the infection items.
--

"jsproberts" <jsproberts@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded the AVG Free Antivirus and ran several scans, but this scan
> cannot delete these viruses:
>
> Trojan Horse Startpage.10.AH , Trojan Horse Startpage.9.BB , Trojan Horse
> Startpage.19.AO , Trojan Horse Downloader.Istbar.6.A , Trojan Horse
> Downloader Winshow.BG and Java.ByteVerify!exploit. And it's telling me
> delete this cookie file 20002SC22.
>
> Please tell me how to remove these!!! Thanks!

Related resources
March 28, 2009 9:11:57 AM

Try antivirus HijackThis and spybot search and destroy.

Also try clearing all your offline content. :bounce:
March 28, 2009 12:00:21 PM

Also try reading the date of a thread before posting, it could stop you looking like a complete Jerk.
!