Unsatisfying output to TV

Anybody else find that ATI video cards' TV output ability unsatisfying?

Smyptom:
- image does not fill the whole screen of TV,
- image greyish, color not vivid
- subtle rolling bars moving cyclically from bottom of TV screen to the top

Video cards: AIW9000 pro, 9800 pro. (NOT used at the same time)

OS: WINDOWS XP SP2

TV: SONY WEGA FS-100

CONNECTION : S-VIDEO
11 answers Last reply
More about unsatisfying output

    "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody else find that ATI video cards' TV output ability unsatisfying?
    >
    > Smyptom:
    > - image does not fill the whole screen of TV,
    > - image greyish, color not vivid
    > - subtle rolling bars moving cyclically from bottom of TV screen to the
    top

    > Video cards: AIW9000 pro, 9800 pro. (NOT used at the same time)
    >
    > OS: WINDOWS XP SP2
    >
    > TV: SONY WEGA FS-100
    >
    > CONNECTION : S-VIDEO

    Except for the thrid issue which I don't really notice, I have the same
    problems. This with an old AIW7500. Good to see the ATI idiots have fixed
    these problems. The image size problem is particularly annoying. I've
    moved the image down to its lowest position and still there's a black bar at
    screen bottom. And of course screen-filling output *is* possible, since
    the "Overscan" button works, but "overscans" way too much! Morons.

    The replies to your post so far are just stupid rationalizations. If my
    minidv camcorder can produce spectacular-looking, properly-sized images thru
    s-video, so can a goddamned video card.

    Thanks everyone who has replied so far.
    - Barry, as you pointed out, I suspect too that HDTV set may works better
    with computer video cards, but I would not know since I don't have one. Do
    you? Can you confirm the results on a HDTV?

    - J. I agree with you, if a camcorder, or a $50 dollar DVD player can output
    perfect signals to ordinary TV set, so should a $200 video card be able to.

    - I am wondering though, with this kind of performance, how can all the
    media center PC coming on the market gain acceptance from ordinary
    consumers? What kind of video cards do those Media Center PC use?

    "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody else find that ATI video cards' TV output ability unsatisfying?
    >
    > Smyptom:
    > - image does not fill the whole screen of TV,
    > - image greyish, color not vivid
    > - subtle rolling bars moving cyclically from bottom of TV screen to the
    > top
    >
    > Video cards: AIW9000 pro, 9800 pro. (NOT used at the same time)
    >
    > OS: WINDOWS XP SP2
    >
    > TV: SONY WEGA FS-100
    >
    > CONNECTION : S-VIDEO

    In article <mbSld.8654$Ho4.316782@news20.bellglobal.com>, I discuss
    says...
    > Anybody else find that ATI video cards' TV output ability unsatisfying?

    Actually, the problem is trying to use a graphics card designed to work
    on monitors with high resolution on a clunker with low resolution. PC
    Monitors are far superior to TVs in terms of resolution and image
    quality. Even the old original VGA 640x480 were better than a TV.

    --
    Conor

    Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

    "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody else find that ATI video cards' TV output ability unsatisfying?
    >
    > Smyptom:
    > - image does not fill the whole screen of TV,
    > - image greyish, color not vivid
    > - subtle rolling bars moving cyclically from bottom of TV screen to the
    top

    > Video cards: AIW9000 pro, 9800 pro. (NOT used at the same time)
    >
    > OS: WINDOWS XP SP2
    >
    > TV: SONY WEGA FS-100
    >
    > CONNECTION : S-VIDEO

    I use my 9800pro to output to my new Philips "20 Flat Screen TV using the
    S-Video adapter and a component cable. I'm amazed on how great it looks! I
    watch DVD's played on my PC and recorded TV through a VCR and it looks as
    good as when I watch TV or a DVD plugged into straight into the TV using the
    same type of cable.
    I always change my desktop resolution to 800x600 before switching over to
    the TV. I've had to do a slight adjustment in the ATI TV control panel to
    make the screen fit perfect, and I don't use overscan. I've plugged an
    S-Video cable straight from my card to the TV and it looks even better (of
    course) JLC

    JLC, your TV is not a LCD flat panel TV, is it?

    Why do you use "S-Video adapter and a component cable"?
    I thought you just need either one of them.

    "J." <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > The replies to your post so far are just stupid rationalizations. If my
    > minidv camcorder can produce spectacular-looking, properly-sized images
    > thru
    > s-video, so can a goddamned video card.

    I agree...and the proof is in the pudding as they say..a Matrox G400 will
    output video to a TV that can only be described as 100%. If they can do
    it...so can other manufacturers. That is the one thing I sorely miss, since
    upgrading to my 9800 pro...

    Points 1&2 well covered in earlier posts, that's just a way it is on
    some TV sets.

    Point 3: Propably caused by "ground loop" from your tv-aerial.
    Disconnect the RF-cable (from your TV) and the scan lines should go
    away. If this works, you can purchase a ground separator for RF at a
    local radio shack (or equivalent).

    > JLC, your TV is not a LCD flat panel TV, is it?
    >
    > Why do you use "S-Video adapter and a component cable"?
    > I thought you just need either one of them.

    No my TV is a plain old TV and the reason I don't use a S-Video cable is I
    have only one S-Video input on my TV and I'm using that for my Xbox. I
    haven't had a chance to go out and get a video switchbox yet. JLC

    Re: "I agree with you, if a camcorder, or a $50 dollar DVD player can
    output perfect signals to ordinary TV set, so should a $200 video card
    be able to."

    Not true, and this response suggests a lack of understanding of the
    processes and technologies involved.

    The camcorder IS A TV DEVICE. All of the signals that it uses ARE TV
    signals. TV resolution, tv aspect ratio, tv scan (refresh) frequencies.
    It was designed to produce and capture a TV picture, and that's all
    that it does.

    Conversely, a computer display is NOT a TV device, and you are
    converting a signal into something totally, and I meant totally,
    different (and, in this case, inferior).

    Consider for example:

    Computer horizontal resolution = 800 to 1280 pixels
    TV horizontal resolution = 240 to 450 pixels

    Computer vertical resolution = 600 to 1024 pixels
    TV vertical resolution = 480 INTERLACED pixels

    (note the implied total pixel count:
    TV = 115,200 to 216,000 pixels
    Computer = 480,000 to 1,310,720 pixels]

    Computer horizontal scan rate = 38 to 70 KHz
    TV horizontal resolution = 15,764 Hz (15.764 KHz)

    When you try to display a computer screen on a TV set, you are trying to
    stuff "10 pounds of xxxx into a 2 pound bag". It should be obvious that
    trying to display a 1,310,720 pixel image on a 115,200 pixel display
    isn't going to look very good. But even that's not the entire
    "picture". You are trying to do it via (typically) a composite or
    S-Video interface, that "merges" red, blue, green, luminance, horizontal
    sync and vertical sync into a single signal (or two for S-video), in a
    way totally foreign to all computer interfaces, both analog and digital,
    and using a technology that seriously degrades and compromises all of
    the individual components.

    I discuss wrote:

    > Thanks everyone who has replied so far.
    > - Barry, as you pointed out, I suspect too that HDTV set may works better
    > with computer video cards, but I would not know since I don't have one. Do
    > you? Can you confirm the results on a HDTV?
    >
    > - J. I agree with you, if a camcorder, or a $50 dollar DVD player can output
    > perfect signals to ordinary TV set, so should a $200 video card be able to.
    >
    > - I am wondering though, with this kind of performance, how can all the
    > media center PC coming on the market gain acceptance from ordinary
    > consumers? What kind of video cards do those Media Center PC use?
    >

    > "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Anybody else find that ATI video cards' TV output ability unsatisfying?
    >>
    >>Smyptom:
    >>- image does not fill the whole screen of TV,
    >>- image greyish, color not vivid
    >>- subtle rolling bars moving cyclically from bottom of TV screen to the
    >>top
    >>
    >>Video cards: AIW9000 pro, 9800 pro. (NOT used at the same time)
    >>
    >>OS: WINDOWS XP SP2
    >>
    >>TV: SONY WEGA FS-100
    >>
    >>CONNECTION : S-VIDEO

    AVOID the ati 9600xt video card at all costs!
    Doesnot work properly, installs poorly, NON existant help, tv out
    doesnt work, did i mention how damn loud the thing is? oh and the
    drivers are so badly designed and the user interfaces are so obtuse.

    im sticking with nvidia

    The AIW 9600 XT I have looks sweet, the rolling bars may be a
    ground issue. I had that on the capture signal from the cable HD box I use.
    I am far from the cable feed and the ground from the cable wire apparently
    doesn't match my house ground. (difference in potential I'm told)
    So I use a ground loop isolator on the audio feeds and grounded my
    catv box to a house ground and the lines are gone now.

    "I discuss" <lleaf-delete.this-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody else find that ATI video cards' TV output ability unsatisfying?
    >
    > Smyptom:
    > - image does not fill the whole screen of TV,
    > - image greyish, color not vivid
    > - subtle rolling bars moving cyclically from bottom of TV screen to the
    > top
    >
    > Video cards: AIW9000 pro, 9800 pro. (NOT used at the same time)
    >
    > OS: WINDOWS XP SP2
    >
    > TV: SONY WEGA FS-100
    >
    > CONNECTION : S-VIDEO

Radeon TV Graphics Cards ATI Graphics