Computer keeps rebooting itself when

I try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2. The day I got the CD it
installed and I just noticed this week that its not there anymore. And when
I try installing it again my computer just shuts down. I'm the only person
on this computer so I don't understand how it got removed. Can viruses or
Trojan Horses make your computer do things like this? I'm having problems
removing these kinds of viruses. HELP!!!

Thank you.
1 answer Last reply
More about computer rebooting when

    In news:9FD92234-4C19-4485-88CA-11BB10A5AA87@microsoft.com,
    jsproberts <jsproberts@peoplepc.com> had this to say:

    > I try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2. The day I got the CD it
    > installed and I just noticed this week that its not there anymore.
    > And when I try installing it again my computer just shuts down. I'm
    > the only person on this computer so I don't understand how it got
    > removed. Can viruses or Trojan Horses make your computer do things
    > like this? I'm having problems removing these kinds of viruses.
    > HELP!!!
    >
    > Thank you.

    Remove them in safe mode without networking...

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
    http://swatit.org/ Swat It

    Before cleaning download this:

    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
    and you can't connect to the internet.

    From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
    download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
    category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
    definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
    select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
    regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
    but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
    problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
    be enabled to update and scan automatically.

    Galen

Security Computers Microsoft Windows XP