Set default username at Logon screen

Hi,

I'm running an XP pro environment within an active directory domain. I have
multiple users sharing the same computer but I need to have one
account/username to always displayed as the default username on bootup at the
logon screen.

I don't wish to implement Auto Login but is there a way to hard code the
default username at logon?

Thanks,

Kim L.
3 answers Last reply
More about default username logon screen

    K. Lague wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running an XP pro environment within an active directory domain.
    > I have multiple users sharing the same computer but I need to have one
    > account/username to always displayed as the default username on
    > bootup at the logon screen.
    >
    > I don't wish to implement Auto Login but is there a way to hard code
    > the default username at logon?

    I don't know of a group policy object you can use to define this -
    personally, I like to enable the policy that disables "display last user
    login name", , as I *want* people to remember their login names. But you
    might want to post in a GP group for more help....

    K. Lague wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm running an XP pro environment within an active directory domain.
    > I have multiple users sharing the same computer but I need to have
    > one account/username to always displayed as the default username on
    > bootup at the logon screen.
    >
    > I don't wish to implement Auto Login but is there a way to hard code
    > the default username at logon?
    Hi

    Run the VBScript below from e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
    \Windows\CurrentVersion\Run with the following command:

    wscript.exe "path to .vbs file here"

    '--------------------8<----------------------
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    ' adjust to correct user/domain
    sUserName = "SomeLogonNameHere"
    sDomain = "SomeDomainNameHere"

    oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" _
    & "\Winlogon\DefaultUserName", sUserName

    oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" _
    & "\Winlogon\DefaultDomainName", sDomain

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from here
    if you haven't got it already:

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

    KL.

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > K. Lague wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm running an XP pro environment within an active directory domain.
    > > I have multiple users sharing the same computer but I need to have
    > > one account/username to always displayed as the default username on
    > > bootup at the logon screen.
    > >
    > > I don't wish to implement Auto Login but is there a way to hard code
    > > the default username at logon?
    > Hi
    >
    > Run the VBScript below from e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
    > \Windows\CurrentVersion\Run with the following command:
    >
    > wscript.exe "path to .vbs file here"
    >

    > '--------------------8<----------------------
    > Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    >
    > ' adjust to correct user/domain
    > sUserName = "SomeLogonNameHere"
    > sDomain = "SomeDomainNameHere"
    >
    > oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" _
    > & "\Winlogon\DefaultUserName", sUserName
    >
    > oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" _
    > & "\Winlogon\DefaultDomainName", sDomain

    > WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from here
    > if you haven't got it already:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/webdev.asp

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Default Active Directory Windows XP