ATI Half Life 2 offer: CD vs. Steam

I just visited ATI's Half-Life 2 offer website. Apparently, if you want the
CD, you have to fill out the form with your credit card information (you pay
for shipping).

In addition to that, you have to MAIL them a copy of the certificate that
came with your video card, plus the ORIGINAL UPC from the ATI Box -not a
photocopy.

The website gives conflicting information: delivery of CDs is 8-10 weeks
after the 16th; however, when you choose a shipping option, one gives 2-3
weeks, and the more expensive one gives 1 week for delibery. Now is it 8 -
10 weeks, or as little as 1? Maybe they mean their distribution centre will
get the CDs 8 - 10 weeks from the 16th, and then at least another week for
shipping.

It looks like I will be getting my HL2 from Steam anyway, because when I
signed-up for the offer back in January, I was not informed that I would
need my UPC. I though all I had to do was sign up and I would be shipped a
CD when the game was released -after all, they did not need my UPC for the
Valve Premier Pack, why would they need it to ship me a CD that I believe I
have already requested?

I'll give their hotline a call tomorrow and figure this out.

--
Brett Tyre
Kirkland House Foundation

    I've got the ATI voucher as well and I'll probably get hl2 through steam
    because I want the silver pack. But I'm waiting to see how people make out
    backing it up. I've read that all you have to do is backup the files you
    download on dvd which is fine, but I want to see if anyone gets into trouble
    this way when they actually do it as opposed to being told to do it. i
    reformat somewhat regularily and it takes me months to finish a game so this
    is important to me.
    I still prefer a pressed cd (or even better dvd) but it seems to be easier
    to download from steam especially considering the silver package.
    Mike

    "Mike" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > I've got the ATI voucher as well and I'll probably get hl2 through steam
    > because I want the silver pack. But I'm waiting to see how people make out
    > backing it up. I've read that all you have to do is backup the files you
    > download on dvd which is fine, but I want to see if anyone gets into
    trouble
    > this way when they actually do it as opposed to being told to do it. i
    > reformat somewhat regularily and it takes me months to finish a game so
    this
    > is important to me.
    > I still prefer a pressed cd (or even better dvd) but it seems to be easier
    > to download from steam especially considering the silver package.

    I'm pretty sure you will be allowed to upgrade your store bought copy
    through steam.

    I have an ATI coupon as well and through all the BS they have for getting an
    actual copy of the game, particuarly the delivery time, it's just not worth
    the trouble. Steam is pretty painless. Backing up works fine too -

    http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151953

    Mike wrote:
    > I've got the ATI voucher as well and I'll probably get hl2 through
    > steam because I want the silver pack. But I'm waiting to see how
    > people make out backing it up. I've read that all you have to do is
    > backup the files you download on dvd which is fine, but I want to see
    > if anyone gets into trouble this way when they actually do it as
    > opposed to being told to do it. i reformat somewhat regularily and
    > it takes me months to finish a game so this is important to me.
    > I still prefer a pressed cd (or even better dvd) but it seems to be
    > easier to download from steam especially considering the silver
    > package.
    > Mike

    Backing up works fine. You can do it yourself with Nero or whatever, backup
    all Steam apps at once using the built-in utility, or back up each
    individual game.

    Thanks for the link, I'll check later:
    vBulletin Message
    The forums couldn't handle the excitement and are taking a little
    breather. See www.steampowered.com for news. Thanks!

    heh.
    Cheers,
    Mike

    "Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

    > "Mike" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    >> I've got the ATI voucher as well and I'll probably get hl2 through steam
    >> because I want the silver pack. But I'm waiting to see how people make
    >> out
    >> backing it up. I've read that all you have to do is backup the files you
    >> download on dvd which is fine, but I want to see if anyone gets into
    > trouble
    >> this way when they actually do it as opposed to being told to do it. i
    >> reformat somewhat regularily and it takes me months to finish a game so
    > this
    >> is important to me.
    >> I still prefer a pressed cd (or even better dvd) but it seems to be
    >> easier
    >> to download from steam especially considering the silver package.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure you will be allowed to upgrade your store bought copy
    > through steam.
    >
    > I have an ATI coupon as well and through all the BS they have for getting
    > an
    > actual copy of the game, particuarly the delivery time, it's just not
    > worth
    > the trouble. Steam is pretty painless. Backing up works fine too -
    >
    > http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151953

    begin 666 vb_bullet.gif
    M1TE&.#EA#P`/`,0``````/_____WF</+O&YV9TY61VIJ="4M'C$Y*CM#-$U5
    M1E1<35MC5&-K7&IR8W1\;9*:BYNCE*>OH+"XJ<#(N;G!LLK2PWR$=(R1>_[V
    MF?;NE>WFD>':C,W'@\2_@/___R'Y! $``!\`+ `````/``\```62X >,9$F*
    MTZ"N3GL-TTA)-'TQFI5,UW@E0.#B(J@D)#V @</D8! 8002!'!DT@JPGX1$\
    M%)''J,%@/ 2<!$>P($ ((TFC@=AH')E-X@)QQ#%/'0(2&1U0& TC$1<7!Q$"
    M6!$'C(D`BQ<(1%F8C PC$ \/!0L;I0L*H0N?!*P'KJZL! 4C#@6V"K@*MKL`
    '(B:_O2$`.P``
    `
    end

    Vivendi really screwed the pooch on this one, and guess who gets to suffer?
    That's right...the consumer. SS,DD.

    "Brett Tyre" <btyre@telus.net> wrote in message
    > I just visited ATI's Half-Life 2 offer website. Apparently, if you want
    the
    > CD, you have to fill out the form with your credit card information (you
    pay
    > for shipping).
    >
    > In addition to that, you have to MAIL them a copy of the certificate that
    > came with your video card, plus the ORIGINAL UPC from the ATI Box -not a
    > photocopy.
    >
    > The website gives conflicting information: delivery of CDs is 8-10 weeks
    > after the 16th; however, when you choose a shipping option, one gives 2-3
    > weeks, and the more expensive one gives 1 week for delibery. Now is it
    8 -
    > 10 weeks, or as little as 1? Maybe they mean their distribution centre
    will
    > get the CDs 8 - 10 weeks from the 16th, and then at least another week for
    > shipping.
    >
    > It looks like I will be getting my HL2 from Steam anyway, because when I
    > signed-up for the offer back in January, I was not informed that I would
    > need my UPC. I though all I had to do was sign up and I would be shipped
    > CD when the game was released -after all, they did not need my UPC for the
    > Valve Premier Pack, why would they need it to ship me a CD that I believe
    > have already requested?
    >
    > I'll give their hotline a call tomorrow and figure this out.
    >
    > --
    > Brett Tyre
    > Kirkland House Foundation
    > http://www3.telus.net/public/btyre

    "Brett Tyre" <btyre@telus.net> wrote in message
    > I just visited ATI's Half-Life 2 offer website. Apparently, if you want
    > the CD, you have to fill out the form with your credit card information
    > (you pay for shipping).
    >
    > In addition to that, you have to MAIL them a copy of the certificate that
    > came with your video card, plus the ORIGINAL UPC from the ATI Box -not a
    > photocopy.
    >
    > The website gives conflicting information: delivery of CDs is 8-10 weeks
    > after the 16th; however, when you choose a shipping option, one gives 2-3
    > weeks, and the more expensive one gives 1 week for delibery. Now is it 8
    > - 10 weeks, or as little as 1? Maybe they mean their distribution centre
    > will get the CDs 8 - 10 weeks from the 16th, and then at least another
    > week for shipping.
    >
    > It looks like I will be getting my HL2 from Steam anyway, because when I
    > signed-up for the offer back in January, I was not informed that I would
    > need my UPC. I though all I had to do was sign up and I would be shipped
    > a CD when the game was released -after all, they did not need my UPC for
    > the Valve Premier Pack, why would they need it to ship me a CD that I
    > believe I have already requested?
    >
    > I'll give their hotline a call tomorrow and figure this out.

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=34&threadid=61774&enterthread=y

    As expected, getting Half Life 2 through Steam was not so easy.

    Started pre-loading at 2130 PST last night, checked at 0700 PST this
    morning, it had only reached 17.5%. When I can home at 1630, it has
    obviously halted at 17.5%, and now I can get back onto Steam but when I
    browse games and click "download and install" nothing happens.
    --
    Brett Tyre
    Kirkland House Foundation
    http://www3.telus.net/public/btyre

    "Brett Tyre" <btyre@telus.net> wrote in message
    > I just visited ATI's Half-Life 2 offer website. Apparently, if you want
    the
    > CD, you have to fill out the form with your credit card information (you
    pay
    > for shipping).
    >
    > In addition to that, you have to MAIL them a copy of the certificate that
    > came with your video card, plus the ORIGINAL UPC from the ATI Box -not a
    > photocopy.
    >
    > The website gives conflicting information: delivery of CDs is 8-10 weeks
    > after the 16th; however, when you choose a shipping option, one gives 2-3
    > weeks, and the more expensive one gives 1 week for delibery. Now is it
    8 -
    > 10 weeks, or as little as 1? Maybe they mean their distribution centre
    will
    > get the CDs 8 - 10 weeks from the 16th, and then at least another week for
    > shipping.
    >
    > It looks like I will be getting my HL2 from Steam anyway, because when I
    > signed-up for the offer back in January, I was not informed that I would
    > need my UPC. I though all I had to do was sign up and I would be shipped
    > CD when the game was released -after all, they did not need my UPC for the
    > Valve Premier Pack, why would they need it to ship me a CD that I believe
    > have already requested?
    >
    > I'll give their hotline a call tomorrow and figure this out.
    >
    > --
    > Brett Tyre
    > Kirkland House Foundation
    > http://www3.telus.net/public/btyre

    In other words, give them your cash and HOPE you MIGHT be able to get to
    play.

    > As expected, getting Half Life 2 through Steam was not so easy.
    >
    > Started pre-loading at 2130 PST last night, checked at 0700 PST this
    > morning, it had only reached 17.5%. When I can home at 1630, it has
    > obviously halted at 17.5%, and now I can get back onto Steam but when I
    > browse games and click "download and install" nothing happens.
    > --
    > Brett Tyre
    > Kirkland House Foundation
    > http://www3.telus.net/public/btyre
    >
    > "Brett Tyre" <btyre@telus.net> wrote in message
    > > I just visited ATI's Half-Life 2 offer website. Apparently, if you want
    > the
    > > CD, you have to fill out the form with your credit card information (you
    > pay
    > > for shipping).
    > >
    > > In addition to that, you have to MAIL them a copy of the certificate
    that
    > > came with your video card, plus the ORIGINAL UPC from the ATI Box -not a
    > > photocopy.
    > >
    > > The website gives conflicting information: delivery of CDs is 8-10 weeks
    > > after the 16th; however, when you choose a shipping option, one gives
    2-3
    > > weeks, and the more expensive one gives 1 week for delibery. Now is it
    > 8 -
    > > 10 weeks, or as little as 1? Maybe they mean their distribution centre
    > will
    > > get the CDs 8 - 10 weeks from the 16th, and then at least another week
    for
    > > shipping.
    > >
    > > It looks like I will be getting my HL2 from Steam anyway, because when I
    > > signed-up for the offer back in January, I was not informed that I would
    > > need my UPC. I though all I had to do was sign up and I would be
    shipped
    > > CD when the game was released -after all, they did not need my UPC for
    the
    > > Valve Premier Pack, why would they need it to ship me a CD that I
    believe
    > > have already requested?
    > >
    > > I'll give their hotline a call tomorrow and figure this out.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Brett Tyre
    > > Kirkland House Foundation
    > > http://www3.telus.net/public/btyre

    Maybe I should e-mail them and ask what it will take to play a game I
    technically purchased 11 months ago....
    --

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:54:05 GMT, "Brett Tyre" <btyre@telus.net>
    wrote:

    >As expected, getting Half Life 2 through Steam was not so easy.
    >
    >Started pre-loading at 2130 PST last night, checked at 0700 PST this
    >morning, it had only reached 17.5%. When I can home at 1630, it has
    >obviously halted at 17.5%, and now I can get back onto Steam but when I
    >browse games and click "download and install" nothing happens.

    Why didn't you do the preloads weeks ago? I did and had the game
    working 20 minutes after the game was unlocked.

    I was under the impression I wouldn't have to jump through all these hoops
    to get the CD. I was led to believe that when I signed up for the Premier
    Pack I was also signing up for Half Life 2 on CD and it would simply be
    shipped to me upon release.

    Had I known I would have run into all these problems, I would have preloaded
    weeks ago.
    --

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:54:05 GMT, "Brett Tyre" <btyre@telus.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >As expected, getting Half Life 2 through Steam was not so easy.
    > >
    > >Started pre-loading at 2130 PST last night, checked at 0700 PST this
    > >morning, it had only reached 17.5%. When I can home at 1630, it has
    > >obviously halted at 17.5%, and now I can get back onto Steam but when I
    > >browse games and click "download and install" nothing happens.
    >
    > Why didn't you do the preloads weeks ago? I did and had the game
    > working 20 minutes after the game was unlocked.

Radeon CD-Rom ATI Graphics