Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from 32bit XP to windows 7 32bit OR 64bit

Last response: in Windows 7
October 25, 2009 2:04:10 AM

well my dad just got the 3Xlicensing pack of windows 7 I got to install it to his working laptop and home laptop both were vista 32 and 64 bit and went through flawlessly without a problem. But for my PC which is a 32bit XP all the hardware is 64bit capable - at least for xp/vista

specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHZ CPU

EVGa 260 GTX
ASUS 680i P5N32-SLI Motherboard
320 GB Hitachi HDD
2X2GB Corsair 800mhz memory

I really want to upgrade to 64bit windows 7 but after lots of restarting and googling i couldnt find a procedure that i felt comfortable doing so i fell back to the 32bit one and it would install all the way up til it did its first reboot and it gets stuck in "starting windows" and turns to BSOD with the OXOOOOO7B (i dont know if the number of 0's is correct i just know it was 7B at the end) this happened both times, I even took out 1 stick of ram to make it 2gigs in my PC since i saw a random forum post of that solving one of the problems. I am ready to lose all data i have, i already put any photo/documents i need on a flash drive so i dont mind reformatting it. But i would like to know if I really do need to format the HDD then put the installation CD in? any help even ideas are much appreciated thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 2:09:33 AM

You can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You will need to do a clean install.
m
l
October 25, 2009 2:29:19 AM

TheViper said:

should i do the cmd prompt to wipe my drive? the "format c/:" (cant remember the exact command) or do i put in my old XP installation disk and do reformat and stop after it partition the drive?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 2:41:58 AM

The Windows 7 disc should allow you to reformat. Or you can use the Win XP CD just the same.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 2:45:50 AM

Since a clean install is necessary, format the drive with the Windows 7 disk. There are slight differences in the versions of the NTFS file systems that XP applies when it formats a hard drive, and when 7 does it.
m
l
October 25, 2009 3:06:35 AM

k I'll try with windows 7 disc, but i really didnt see any reformat option during steps but this time i'll keep a closer look out through the steps, thx
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 25, 2009 3:18:15 AM

The drive partitioning wizard is one of the first steps in the setup process... how did you not see it?
m
l
October 25, 2009 3:24:22 AM

ya i click that during wizard, just never saw the format, it was my fault to just zoom through it lol
m
l
October 25, 2009 9:12:59 AM

The_Prophecy said:
The drive partitioning wizard is one of the first steps in the setup process... how did you not see it?

k going back to the steps first from when im in XP and trying to install i dont see any format option available even under custom install.

when i boot from start up, i do custom again and i see the format option extend.....and new.....but i dont see my HDD anymore. so im stump at the moment lol.
m
l
October 25, 2009 9:43:36 AM

Just put the Windows 64 bit cd in your machine let it boot up There will be a point where it ask if you want to upgrade you do the other option and W7 will do the rest.
m
l
October 25, 2009 4:30:57 PM

baddad said:
Just put the Windows 64 bit cd in your machine let it boot up There will be a point where it ask if you want to upgrade you do the other option and W7 will do the rest.

well only problem with that is i dont get to choose any device to install the OS on and whenever i do get to see my HDD it doesnt give me the reformat option, i think my only way is to go through custom install if im on an XP. is it my hard drive thats not compatible? its only 2-3 years old tho.
m
l
October 25, 2009 4:35:22 PM

You have to do a custom install.
m
l
October 25, 2009 5:14:58 PM

Well i just got the error message 0X00000007B after going through phase 1 of installation so im guessing its my disk controller/drivers i've already reformatted and deleted and put a new partition for the hard drive and started over with XP recovery disk. anyone have tips on how to solve the '7B error screen
m
l
October 25, 2009 9:13:32 PM

I give up, not going to install windows 7 until i get a new hard drive i suppose, thanks to everyone that replied
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2009 1:12:25 PM

Asterick,

TheViper is correct -- you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit. The architectures are simply incompatible. For more information on 32-bit vs. 64-bit architecture please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

m
l
October 26, 2009 7:32:07 PM

JessicaD said:
Asterick,

TheViper is correct -- you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit. The architectures are simply incompatible. For more information on 32-bit vs. 64-bit architecture please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

ya i stopped trying to install 64 bit already, all these issues are from 32 bit windows 7 now.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2009 7:54:30 PM

*Sigh*

When dealing with Windows XP, a clean install is the ONLY option... regardless of 32-bit or 64-bit. No, you cannot do an in-place upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, but you can still upgrade to 64-bit. However, even if you use 32-bit Windows 7... a clean install is still your only option when upgrading from Windows XP. The best thing to do right now is to get Windows XP reinstalled and activated. Then, use the 64-bit Windows 7 DVD to do a custom install. You CANNOT use the upgrade to perform a clean installation on a blank hard drive... you have to purchase the full retail or OEM versions.

You CAN upgrade to 64-bit, you just can't do an in-place upgrade. (You can't with 32-bit either with XP). Saying simply that you "can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit" isn't giving the OP complete information.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 10:18:41 PM

Zoron said:
*Sigh*

When dealing with Windows XP, a clean install is the ONLY option... regardless of 32-bit or 64-bit. No, you cannot do an in-place upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, but you can still upgrade to 64-bit. However, even if you use 32-bit Windows 7... a clean install is still your only option when upgrading from Windows XP. The best thing to do right now is to get Windows XP reinstalled and activated. Then, use the 64-bit Windows 7 DVD to do a custom install. You CANNOT use the upgrade to perform a clean installation on a blank hard drive... you have to purchase the full retail or OEM versions.

You CAN upgrade to 64-bit, you just can't do an in-place upgrade. (You can't with 32-bit either with XP). Saying simply that you "can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit" isn't giving the OP complete information.

Didn't you just tell him the same thing I did? Can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit...requires a clean install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 11:17:03 PM

Your wording suggested he couldn't upgrade to 64-bit at all. Even if he's upgrading to 32-bit Win 7 from XP though... he still needs to do a clean install... there is no in-place upgrade option from XP to 7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 11:21:00 PM

Zoron said:
Your wording suggested he couldn't upgrade to 64-bit at all. Even if he's upgrading to 32-bit Win 7 from XP though... he still needs to do a clean install... there is no in-place upgrade option from XP to 7.

Exactly what I said (see quote below) and the member from MS even noted it.
TheViper said:

m
l
October 28, 2009 12:57:24 AM

As an aside, I saw 7B when installing XP a couple of years back. Had to do with the IDE cable connected to the DVD drive and an ASUS mobo (P5LD2 rev 1.2). Moved the cable to a different IDE port. Crazy hardware messing with my software.

Good luck.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 2:07:17 AM

I saw what you said, but the OP took it as he could not upgrade to 64-bit under any circumstances. I was trying to ensure that the OP realized he was still eligible for an upgrade... even if he wanted to go 64-bit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 2:23:56 AM

Doesn't appear to me he didn't know he couldn't install Win 7 64 bit as he immediately began asking about the clean install options.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 3:57:15 AM

Ok.. I misunderstood what he misunderstood. A clean install still requires that you have Windows XP installed and activated beforehand when you are using the Windows 7 upgrade. Wiping the hard drive will not work. I thought originally when he gave up on installing 64-bit that meant he thought he was not eligible to upgrade.
m
l
October 28, 2009 7:10:16 AM

I'm not misunderstanding what you misunderstood about what he misunderstood!

LOL, be happy folks! We're all here to help each other and this thread has good information for those, like me, looking to move from 32bit XP to 64bit Win7. The discussion touched on all the issues and I'm glad so many are knowledgable on the subject.

I'm still trying to figure out if the upgrade to Win7 from my upgrade to WinXP from Win95 will ask for my WinXP CD or need to see an activated copy on a HD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2009 1:37:40 PM

It won't ask for a CD... at least mine didn't... but I did upgrade doing a clean install from Vista. You should be fine if your XP is running and activated.
m
l
October 28, 2009 4:57:04 PM

OK thanks. So as long as my boot partition is there and ready to be over-written, all is well. But if I want to install the Win7 Upgrade on a clean/blank drive for testing, it might want to "see" my old boot drive? Anyone run across this yet?
m
l
!