-HL2 and ATI RADEON X800 PRO: Anyone else experiencing mas..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Like everyone else here, I've waited for HL2 a long time and I even picked
up a X800 PRO last week to prepare myself.

So after wrestling Steam into letting me play the game I purchased this
morning (my CD-key still isn't authenticated yet), I'm finding myself
staring at a slideshow every few minutes of gameplay. It just chokes,
hiccups and slows down to a crawl intermittently. I just don't get it. I've
tried both 800x600, 1024x768 and a variety of video options from the
suggested to high and down to medium.

This is what I've got:

INTEL P4 2.53
INTEL 845 MOBO
ATI RADEON X800 PRO 256MB AGP (CATALYST 4.11)
SAMSUNG 512MB DDR333 SDRAM
HITACHI 160GB SATA HDD
SB AUDIGY LS
PLEXTOR 8X DVD+/-RW
WINXP PRO SP2

I have a feeling it has something to do with the SB AUDIGY LS because it is
a software-based sound card but DOOM3 runs like a charm and the only other
game I'm having similar issues with is Medal of Honor Pacific Assault. Then
again is it because I don't have a 1GB of RAM?

Is anyone else having this problem? All I want is to play HL2 at 60fps
without hiccups. HELP!!!

[[[Konfucius]]]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

you don't 1gb of ram, but what you do have is a cpu thats running at 533mhz
on it's FSB and memory chokin it at 333mhz. anytime u run cpu/mobo/memory in
a non-optimal configuration funky stuff is gunna happen!

...Syn...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

In article <PtAmd.31143$z3.14044@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, Visceral_Syn
says...
> you don't 1gb of ram, but what you do have is a cpu thats running at 533mhz
> on it's FSB and memory chokin it at 333mhz.

ROFLMAO you clueless gimp.

P4 is QUAD PUMPED, i.e it runs at FOUR TIMES the FSB. The RAM is DDR so
it runs at TWICE the FSB. THe FSB for both is 166MHz so the RAM runs at
333MHz and the CPU at ~ 533MHz.

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Konfucius" <konfucius@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Like everyone else here, I've waited for HL2 a long time and I even picked
> up a X800 PRO last week to prepare myself.
>
> So after wrestling Steam into letting me play the game I purchased this
> morning (my CD-key still isn't authenticated yet), I'm finding myself
> staring at a slideshow every few minutes of gameplay. It just chokes,
> hiccups and slows down to a crawl intermittently. I just don't get it.
> I've tried both 800x600, 1024x768 and a variety of video options from the
> suggested to high and down to medium.
>
> This is what I've got:
>
> INTEL P4 2.53
> INTEL 845 MOBO
> ATI RADEON X800 PRO 256MB AGP (CATALYST 4.11)
> SAMSUNG 512MB DDR333 SDRAM
> HITACHI 160GB SATA HDD
> SB AUDIGY LS
> PLEXTOR 8X DVD+/-RW
> WINXP PRO SP2
>
> I have a feeling it has something to do with the SB AUDIGY LS because it
> is a software-based sound card but DOOM3 runs like a charm and the only
> other game I'm having similar issues with is Medal of Honor Pacific
> Assault. Then again is it because I don't have a 1GB of RAM?
>
> Is anyone else having this problem? All I want is to play HL2 at 60fps
> without hiccups. HELP!!!
>

> [[[Konfucius]]]

On my setup (XP2400, 768mb Sdram and 9700 NP) HL2 defaults to
1024x768 all high settings. It doesnt play smoothly on that tho. HL2 needs
a lot of RAM - 256mb minimum is utter bollocks. Secondly after you've
installed
all 3.5 gb you need to defrag it before playing. I've opted to force dx8
shaders to
boost performance by adding -dxlevel 81 to the command line.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:53:14 -0000, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <PtAmd.31143$z3.14044@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, Visceral_Syn
>says...
>> you don't 1gb of ram, but what you do have is a cpu thats running at 533mhz
>> on it's FSB and memory chokin it at 333mhz.
>
>ROFLMAO you clueless gimp.
>
>P4 is QUAD PUMPED, i.e it runs at FOUR TIMES the FSB. The RAM is DDR so
>it runs at TWICE the FSB. THe FSB for both is 166MHz so the RAM runs at
>333MHz and the CPU at ~ 533MHz.

There seems to be a flaw in your math. 166 x 4 is NOT 533, but 664,
166 X 3 is 533. If the CPU runs at 4 x the FSB, and it is running at
533, then his FSB must be 133. Or is there something I'm missing?

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

wrote:

:>In article <PtAmd.31143$z3.14044@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, Visceral_Syn
:>says...
:>> you don't 1gb of ram, but what you do have is a cpu thats running at 533mhz
:>> on it's FSB and memory chokin it at 333mhz.
:>
:>ROFLMAO you clueless gimp.
:>
:>P4 is QUAD PUMPED, i.e it runs at FOUR TIMES the FSB. The RAM is DDR so
:>it runs at TWICE the FSB. THe FSB for both is 166MHz so the RAM runs at
:>333MHz and the CPU at ~ 533MHz.

You want to try that again <grin>. I really don't think his P4 is
really running at ~664MHZ (4x166). However, I would be willing to bet
his FSB is really running at 133MHZ which gives you ~533MHZ for the
CPU chip (4x133). If his motherboard supports it he could be running
asynchronous CPU bus and memory bus speeds. I used to have a setup
like that. I had a 3.06GHZ P4 at 533 MHZ FSB (4x133) and PC2700 RAM
that was correctly id'd as such by the motherboard which ran the
memory bus at 333 MHZ (2x166). Now I'm running a P4-3.2E with a Gig
of PC3200 RAM. 200MHZ FSB all around running everything
synchronously.

me/2

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Taking a moment's reflection, Mike mused:

| It's not likely a video driver issue, it's more likely some app running in
| the background, I'd guess the sound card as per the op, if no other games
| do this (I still lean toward a small app that runs in the background).

Judging by the threads in the www.steampowered.com forums ("Audio
Stuttering") *many* people are having this, or similar issue. Currently, my
money is on bad coding.