Opera 12 Getting Hardware Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Now if this is good I may be downloading Opera again. I had it back when I had a slow computer, it's great for old slow connections, but I may put it on my new PC if it's good enough.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Now if only they could fix that bug that crashes some embedded Youtube videos. I fear maximizing embedded videos for fear it'll crash everything lol.

G

Opera - The King of Browsers...

A demonstration of Microsoft’s “psychedelic browsing” HTML5 test on the Mac saw the Opera 11.5 with no hardware acceleration notch up 864 rpm; the latest Chrome with hardware acceleration score 498 rpm; and the Opera 12 reach 1,950 rpm.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
opera needs 64-bit native browser for windows bad in the wake of flash 64-bit version release. both internet explorer and firefox have 64-bit builds (ie9 and waterfox). chrome/iron/safari also lacks 64-bit version.

jtennison

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
How often do Opera updates come out? I am getting tired of the Rapid Release Firefox update cycle, and am looking into alternative browsers.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Updating Opera is a good thing, but not likely to help the product increase its use on the 'Net. For the most part, Opera is simply not relevant compared to other, more widely used, browsers. Good, solid browser, but just not used by many. Too bad.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Once you get used to Opera, it's hard to go back. Firefox never held me; it was painless to go to Opera, and once there I didn't want to go back. IE is, well Microsoft, and nothing Microsoft makes is ever really competitive unless they have a monopoly. Looks like they'll be dipping below 50% market share in the very near future too, the first time in a VERY long time.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
It's usage might be equal to that of Chrome if they bundled it in with every Java install/update, DivX install/update, many game demo installs, some full game installs, some of the "free" Adobe products install/updates, made one of their own annoying "toolbars" that always wants to install Opera, and if whenever someone used any rival browser to visit the most popular "search engine" home page they had it pop up a BIG colorful box at the top right of the page that reads A faster way to browse the web above a BIG blue button that reads Install Google Chrome.

...just sayin' lol

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I just thought of something. Maybe Google should be forced to have a link to all the popular browsers on it's homepage, and have them show up in some random order each time. You know, so they don't try and use their incredible search engine market share to force people to use Chrome without allowing people to choose their own path. They were one of the companies that backed the idea in Euro-land to have another company that was using it's market share to "force" the use of it's browser.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]notsleep[/nom]opera needs 64-bit native browser for windows bad in the wake of flash 64-bit version release. both internet explorer and firefox have 64-bit builds (ie9 and waterfox). chrome/iron/safari also lacks 64-bit version.[/citation]
Needs it bad? Why? There's no difference in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.