Access denied to my files after rebuild

Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
files.

Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu
6 answers Last reply
More about access denied files rebuild

    Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Stu" wrote:

    | Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
    | The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
    | It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
    | files.
    |
    | Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
    | so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu

    Are you able to take ownership of the file, change the security permissions
    to give yourself "full control" then copy the file....

    "Stu" <Stu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new
    > disk.
    > The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access
    > denied.
    > It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at
    > the
    > files.
    >
    > Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is
    > dead
    > so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu

    Thanks both - taking ownership did the job. I SO appreciate your help

    Cheers

    Stu

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Stu" wrote:
    >
    > | Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
    > | The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
    > | It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
    > | files.
    > |
    > | Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
    > | so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu

    Lucky you......I am logged on as the administrator but don't have the
    security tab under properties...Now what?
    --
    Thank you,
    Anne

    "Stu" wrote:

    > Thanks both - taking ownership did the job. I SO appreciate your help
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Stu
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    > >
    > > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    > >
    > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >
    > > "Stu" wrote:
    > >
    > > | Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
    > > | The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
    > > | It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
    > > | files.
    > > |
    > > | Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
    > > | so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu

    Go to control panel, folder options , view tab and the very last option,
    "use sinple file sharing", needs to be deselected for the security tab to be
    visible.

    "annegy53" <annegy@discussions.mocrosoft.com> wrote in message
    > Lucky you......I am logged on as the administrator but don't have the
    > security tab under properties...Now what?
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Anne
    >

    > "Stu" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks both - taking ownership did the job. I SO appreciate your help
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Stu
    >>
    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >> >
    >> > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Carey Frisch
    >> > Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >> >
    >> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >> >
    >> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    >> > new disk.
    >> > denied.
    >> > at the

    >> > is dead

    If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to the Security
    tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account that has
    Administrative rights.

    "annegy53" <annegy@discussions.mocrosoft.com> wrote in message
    > Lucky you......I am logged on as the administrator but don't have the
    > security tab under properties...Now what?
    > --
    > Thank you,
    > Anne
    >

    > "Stu" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks both - taking ownership did the job. I SO appreciate your help
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Stu
    >>
    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
    >> >
    >> > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Carey Frisch
    >> > Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >> >
    >> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

Security Rebuild Windows XP