  • Rebuild
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 23, 2005 9:44:05 AM

Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
files.

Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu

More about : access denied files rebuild

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 23, 2005 12:08:54 PM

Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Stu" wrote:

| Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
| The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
| It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
| files.
|
| Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
| so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu
April 24, 2005 2:35:22 AM

Are you able to take ownership of the file, change the security permissions
to give yourself "full control" then copy the file....

"Stu" <Stu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new
> disk.
> The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access
> denied.
> It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at
> the
> files.
>
> Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is
> dead
> so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu
Related resources
April 25, 2005 11:11:01 PM

Thanks both - taking ownership did the job. I SO appreciate your help

Cheers

Stu

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Stu" wrote:
>
> | Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
> | The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
> | It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
> | files.
> |
> | Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
> | so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 4, 2005 9:34:02 PM

Lucky you......I am logged on as the administrator but don't have the
security tab under properties...Now what?
--
Thank you,
Anne

"Stu" wrote:

> Thanks both - taking ownership did the job. I SO appreciate your help
>
> Cheers
>
> Stu
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
> >
> > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups
> >
> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
> >
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "Stu" wrote:
> >
> > | Had an issue that ended up with me rebuilding XP from scratch on a new disk.
> > | The previously names \Documents and Settings\Stu now gives me access denied.
> > | It was set to Private (level 1) but I assumed I would be able to get at the
> > | files.
> > |
> > | Any thoughts as to how to ammend the security as the OS on that disk is dead
> > | so can't boot back to it. just want to copy them to the new \Stu

June 5, 2005 4:32:59 PM

Go to control panel, folder options , view tab and the very last option,
"use sinple file sharing", needs to be deselected for the security tab to be
visible.

"annegy53" <annegy@discussions.mocrosoft.com> wrote in message
> Lucky you......I am logged on as the administrator but don't have the
> security tab under properties...Now what?
> --
> Thank you,
> Anne
>

> "Stu" wrote:
>
>> Thanks both - taking ownership did the job. I SO appreciate your help
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Stu
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
>> >
>> > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>> >
>> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>> >
>> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> > new disk.
>> > denied.
>> > at the

>> > is dead

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 6, 2005 1:52:49 AM

If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to the Security
tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account that has
Administrative rights.