Unable to login to Win XP Pro Notebook

This is a major call for help. I have a client's notebook and I wanted to
attach it to my office peer-to-peer network so that I could move some files
to one of my local machines. (Prior to this I always used the notebook to log
into the client's Win2k3 network domain.) Here is what happended in order:
1. - I logged into the notebook with the client's domainname in the login box.
2. - I was prompted that the domain was not availbale to authenticate me,
but it let me into the local machine anyway.
3. - I went into 'My Computer' properties and selected to change from the
domain to the workgroup name.
4. - I was prompted to input the user and passwrd with permissions to remove
this computer from the domain. that went through o.k.
5. - I rebooted.
6. - I tried to login to the notebook using the same userid and password I
had been using. No go.
7. I have tried what the client gave me for an administrator password on the
local machine. No go.
I have been using this machine for a development project and the files I
need are on the "Desktop" folder under the user id I have been using. I have
no idea what, if any, users were setup on the local machine before I got it.
Is there a way that I can log onto the client's domain using the FDN of my
regular username and get into the machine and rejoin the domain? (I think
the syntax would be \\servername.domainname\username)
Can I do a in-place reinstall of Windows XP Pro and as administrator get to
those files?
Thanks afor any and all help -- HT
9 answers Last reply
More about unable login notebook

    I've been doing research while waiting for a response. Do any of you MVPs
    know if the Winternals product could help in this situation? - HT

    "HT" wrote:

    > This is a major call for help. I have a client's notebook and I wanted to
    > attach it to my office peer-to-peer network so that I could move some files
    > to one of my local machines. (Prior to this I always used the notebook to log
    > into the client's Win2k3 network domain.) Here is what happended in order:
    > 1. - I logged into the notebook with the client's domainname in the login box.
    > 2. - I was prompted that the domain was not availbale to authenticate me,
    > but it let me into the local machine anyway.
    > 3. - I went into 'My Computer' properties and selected to change from the
    > domain to the workgroup name.
    > 4. - I was prompted to input the user and passwrd with permissions to remove
    > this computer from the domain. that went through o.k.
    > 5. - I rebooted.
    > 6. - I tried to login to the notebook using the same userid and password I
    > had been using. No go.
    > 7. I have tried what the client gave me for an administrator password on the
    > local machine. No go.
    > I have been using this machine for a development project and the files I
    > need are on the "Desktop" folder under the user id I have been using. I have
    > no idea what, if any, users were setup on the local machine before I got it.
    > Is there a way that I can log onto the client's domain using the FDN of my
    > regular username and get into the machine and rejoin the domain? (I think
    > the syntax would be \\servername.domainname\username)
    > Can I do a in-place reinstall of Windows XP Pro and as administrator get to
    > those files?
    > Thanks afor any and all help -- HT

    i don't think you can get it back on the domain without having a dc
    available to validate against. you may be able to use one of the password
    reset disks to change the administrator password so you can login with that.
    you could then create a local account to work out of and take ownership of
    the files you need to copy them to the new account.

    you should note for the future that it is not necessary to remove a machine
    from a domain to access a workgroup's resources. there is no 'membership'
    in a workgroup or requirement to join it, it is just a convenient way to
    organize machines in the explorer tree.

    "HT" <HT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been doing research while waiting for a response. Do any of you MVPs
    > know if the Winternals product could help in this situation? - HT
    >
    > "HT" wrote:
    >
    > > This is a major call for help. I have a client's notebook and I wanted
    > > attach it to my office peer-to-peer network so that I could move some
    files
    > > to one of my local machines. (Prior to this I always used the notebook
    to log
    > > into the client's Win2k3 network domain.) Here is what happended in
    order:
    > > 1. - I logged into the notebook with the client's domainname in the
    login box.
    > > 2. - I was prompted that the domain was not availbale to authenticate
    me,
    > > but it let me into the local machine anyway.
    > > 3. - I went into 'My Computer' properties and selected to change from
    the
    > > domain to the workgroup name.
    > > 4. - I was prompted to input the user and passwrd with permissions to
    remove
    > > this computer from the domain. that went through o.k.
    > > 5. - I rebooted.
    > > 6. - I tried to login to the notebook using the same userid and password
    > > had been using. No go.
    > > 7. I have tried what the client gave me for an administrator password on
    the
    > > local machine. No go.
    > > I have been using this machine for a development project and the files I
    > > need are on the "Desktop" folder under the user id I have been using. I
    have
    > > no idea what, if any, users were setup on the local machine before I got
    it.
    > > Is there a way that I can log onto the client's domain using the FDN of
    my
    > > regular username and get into the machine and rejoin the domain? (I
    think
    > > the syntax would be \\servername.domainname\username)
    > > Can I do a in-place reinstall of Windows XP Pro and as administrator get
    > > those files?
    > > Thanks afor any and all help -- HT

    Thanks for the response - No password reset disk is available. So I guess I
    need I need to reset the admin password. Any suggestions?

    > Thanks for the response - No password reset disk is available. So I guess
    > need I need to reset the admin password. Any suggestions?

    Did the owner of the laptop use efs (encryption) on any files on the laptop?
    If he did do not change any passwords until you are sure there is a recovery
    agent set up. All encypted data may be lost forever by changing a password
    outside of Windows. As his workplace is domain based there should be a
    default recovery agent but make sure before changing passwords if efs has
    been used.

    Kerry

    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    >> i don't think you can get it back on the domain without having a dc
    >> available to validate against. you may be able to use one of the
    >> password
    >> reset disks to change the administrator password so you can login with
    >> that.
    >> you could then create a local account to work out of and take ownership
    >> of
    >> the files you need to copy them to the new account.
    >>
    >> you should note for the future that it is not necessary to remove a
    >> machine
    >> from a domain to access a workgroup's resources. there is no
    >> 'membership'
    >> in a workgroup or requirement to join it, it is just a convenient way to
    >> organize machines in the explorer tree.
    >>
    >> "HT" <HT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've been doing research while waiting for a response. Do any of you
    >> > MVPs
    >> > know if the Winternals product could help in this situation? - HT

    >> files
    >> to log
    >> order:
    >> login box.
    >> me,
    >> the
    >> remove
    >> the
    >> have
    >> it.
    >> my
    >> think

    search this group and probably the general microsoft.public.security group,
    sometime within the last week someone would have undoubtedly posted the link
    to several tools to reset administrator passwords on win2k or xp... search
    for 'lost password' or 'administrator password'. google will also find them
    if you search for something like 'lost administrator password reset disk
    free download' i think this is the one i have in my office for emergency
    use: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/. read the instructions and
    follow exactly and it works just great. they are basically linux boot
    images on a cd with a tool to edit the passwords on the hard drive. with
    the one i got the hardest part was remembering how to burn an iso image onto
    a cd.

    "HT" <HT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the response - No password reset disk is available. So I guess
    > need I need to reset the admin password. Any suggestions?
    >
    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    > > i don't think you can get it back on the domain without having a dc
    > > available to validate against. you may be able to use one of the
    password
    > > reset disks to change the administrator password so you can login with
    that.
    > > you could then create a local account to work out of and take ownership
    of
    > > the files you need to copy them to the new account.
    > >
    > > you should note for the future that it is not necessary to remove a
    machine
    > > from a domain to access a workgroup's resources. there is no
    'membership'
    > > in a workgroup or requirement to join it, it is just a convenient way to
    > > organize machines in the explorer tree.
    > >
    > > "HT" <HT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've been doing research while waiting for a response. Do any of you
    MVPs
    > > > know if the Winternals product could help in this situation? - HT

    > > files
    > > to log
    > > order:
    > > login box.
    > > me,
    > > the
    > > remove
    > > the
    > > have
    > > it.
    > > my
    > > think

    Thanks Loads Dave,
    This was the ticket. I got in. This is a neat tool for desparate times.

    I have a related question and I hope you or someone else can clarify this
    for me.
    I know that if I try to reset my domain user's password as the local
    administrator, I could could lose some files if they exist, especially the
    EFT files. This client opted to change a valid user's password on their
    network and have me login as them rather than give me my own userid. I would
    be petrified if I lose some EFT file that the regular user (who is on a
    leave) lost one of their files. That is why I saved all of my work on their
    desktop in a folder.

    When I get to the client's office on Monday and try to rejoin the laptop to
    the domain provided my userid has the rights to do that, then I hope that I
    will be o.k.
    The core of my question is, if the domain administrator changes the password
    of a domain user, are the user's EFT files o.k.? I don't recall seeing as a
    system admin the same warning at changing a password as I see when I am
    logged in to the local machine as an admin.

    Thanks

    > Thanks Loads Dave,
    > This was the ticket. I got in. This is a neat tool for desparate times.
    >
    > I have a related question and I hope you or someone else can clarify this
    > for me.
    > I know that if I try to reset my domain user's password as the local
    > administrator, I could could lose some files if they exist, especially the
    > EFT files. This client opted to change a valid user's password on their
    > network and have me login as them rather than give me my own userid. I
    > would
    > be petrified if I lose some EFT file that the regular user (who is on a
    > leave) lost one of their files. That is why I saved all of my work on
    > their
    > desktop in a folder.
    >
    > When I get to the client's office on Monday and try to rejoin the laptop
    > the domain provided my userid has the rights to do that, then I hope that
    > will be o.k.
    > The core of my question is, if the domain administrator changes the
    > password
    > of a domain user, are the user's EFT files o.k.? I don't recall seeing as
    > system admin the same warning at changing a password as I see when I am
    > logged in to the local machine as an admin.
    >
    > Thanks

    Did you mean EFS? Here's an overview of EFS. It's a long link so it may wrap
    in your newsreader and break the link.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prnb_efs_nzmz.asp

    As long as they have a default recovery agent set up for the domain they can
    unencrypt any files encrypted by a domain user.

    Kerry

    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    >> search this group and probably the general microsoft.public.security
    >> group,
    >> sometime within the last week someone would have undoubtedly posted the
    >> link
    >> to several tools to reset administrator passwords on win2k or xp...
    >> search
    >> for 'lost password' or 'administrator password'. google will also find
    >> them
    >> if you search for something like 'lost administrator password reset disk
    >> free download' i think this is the one i have in my office for emergency
    >> use: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/. read the instructions and
    >> follow exactly and it works just great. they are basically linux boot
    >> images on a cd with a tool to edit the passwords on the hard drive. with
    >> the one i got the hardest part was remembering how to burn an iso image
    >> onto
    >> a cd.
    >>
    >> "HT" <HT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the response - No password reset disk is available. So I
    >> > guess
    >> > need I need to reset the admin password. Any suggestions?

    >> password
    >> that.
    >> of

    >> machine
    >> 'membership'

    >> MVPs

    >> wanted
    >> some
    >> notebook
    >> authenticate
    >> from
    >> password
    >> password on
    >> files I
    >> using. I
    >> got
    >> of
    >> get

    oh, and of course try the 'standard' administrator passwords first... i.e.
    blank, Asdf1234, the machine name, the user name, the company name, etc,
    just in case they left it as a dumb one.

    "HT" <HT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the response - No password reset disk is available. So I guess
    > need I need to reset the admin password. Any suggestions?
    >
    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    > > i don't think you can get it back on the domain without having a dc
    > > available to validate against. you may be able to use one of the
    password
    > > reset disks to change the administrator password so you can login with
    that.
    > > you could then create a local account to work out of and take ownership
    of
    > > the files you need to copy them to the new account.
    > >
    > > you should note for the future that it is not necessary to remove a
    machine
    > > from a domain to access a workgroup's resources. there is no
    'membership'
    > > in a workgroup or requirement to join it, it is just a convenient way to
    > > organize machines in the explorer tree.
    > >
    > > "HT" <HT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've been doing research while waiting for a response. Do any of you
    MVPs
    > > > know if the Winternals product could help in this situation? - HT

    > > files
    > > to log
    > > order:
    > > login box.
    > > me,
    > > the
    > > remove
    > > the
    > > have
    > > it.
    > > my
    > > think

    you don't want to change the password of the domain user, it wouldn't work
    even if you did... since the machine is not on the domain any domain account
    can't be used, the os will always try to validate with a dc which it can't
    get to. when you get back to the domain you login as the local
    administrator and rejoin it to the domain, you will also need a domain admin
    to supply a valid domain password for that operation. then the domain
    account will work again. the problem is not that the password has changed,
    it is that by removing the machine from the domain you made it flush the
    cached domain info that had the password for the user so it could validate
    his login when the dc wasn't available temporarily.

Domain Notebooks Login Windows XP