God bless my 9800 Pro

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).
61 answers Last reply
More about bless 9800
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    John wrote:
    > Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    > best computer purchase I ever made.

    I should have bought it, instead I got the 9500 Pro. It lasted two years
    but ran out of gas with Doom3 (800x600 without shadows, playable but ...)
    It would have been a better investment at the time to get the 9800 Pro.
    This time I got the x800 Pro, I really hope it lasts 3 years.

    GS.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Can you run it at 16 by 12 resolution, everything maxed out, with
    AA-enabled, at 70FPS..... ? An X800 or 6800GT can -- least my 6800 GT can,
    think that's all folks were trying to say. I just replaced my 9800 PRO,
    which I agree is probably the best buy at the moment.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > This card is now over two years
    > old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    > out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's

    It's not more than two years old, is it? I thought the 9800 Pro cam out in
    August 2003.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are nuts. The
    9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow as hell with Halo.

    "John" <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    > best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    > old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    > out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    > pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    > when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    > upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    > money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    > start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    There are also performance tweaks for the 9800pro in HL2

    All the tweaks there are good, but scroll down a bit for a ati-specific
    tweak.

    rms
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Rick Carney wrote:
    > These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
    > nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow
    > as hell with Halo.

    My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 11/18/2004 10:10 AM rms brightened our day with:

    >There are also performance tweaks for the 9800pro in HL2
    >http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40872
    >
    >All the tweaks there are good, but scroll down a bit for a ati-specific
    >tweak.
    >
    >rms

    So create an autoexec.cfg with this:

    snd_async_fullyasync "1"
    r_fastzreject "1"

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    "JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Rick Carney wrote:
    > > These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
    > > nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow
    > > as hell with Halo.
    > >

    > My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!

    6 FPS is perfect?

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:51:15 GMT, "Rick Carney" <rcarney@socal.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
    >
    >6 FPS is perfect?

    I don't know what you are doing wrong with your machine, but my 9700
    Pro has run Halo perfectly smoothly since the day of release.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    John wrote:
    > Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    > best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    > old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    > out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    > pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    > when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    > upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    > money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    > start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

    I just got mine : when I got through the rigmoral of getting it working
    (my machine had awful conflicts with it for some reason), it really is
    an awesome upgrade.

    What I find interesting is that usualyy with a game, everyone starts
    pulling their dicks out in order to compare frame rates : It says
    something for the gameplay in HL2 that no one has done that yet!
    Everyone is too busy enjoying the game for the gameplay and not the
    technical achievements and how it runs on their machines.

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -

    "John" <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    > best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    > old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    > out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    > pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    > when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    > upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    > money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    > start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

    The 9800 Pro is simply still a decent video card. ATI's public relations
    department originally stated that you would "need" a 9800XT to enjoy
    Half-Life 2 to it's potential, and a 9800 Pro isn't much slower. PC Gamer
    magazine also originally said that the 9700 Pro was something of the
    unofficial video card of Doom 3, so I would have expected the 9800 Pro to
    hold up well there also. STALKER should be good with it too, if not they'll
    lose sales of the game since it's not realistic to expect that most folks
    will shell out big bucks for a new video card because of one game.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:51:15 GMT, "Rick Carney" <rcarney@socal.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
    > >
    > >6 FPS is perfect?
    >
    > I don't know what you are doing wrong with your machine, but my 9700
    > Pro has run Halo perfectly smoothly since the day of release.

    One of you running Halo at 1600 rez with max details and AA/AF on, and the
    other is at 300rez with low details and AA/AF off?
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:43:04 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
    wrote:

    >One of you running Halo at 1600 rez with max details and AA/AF on, and the
    >other is at 300rez with low details and AA/AF off?

    1024x768, all details maxxed. Halo doesn't require or work well with
    FSAA.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I can see your point Greg. I have a 9500 pro (non L-shaped mem/bios
    enhanced) ATI card that has done its job for "God and Country" as the Brits
    would say. I did pay a pretty penny of 200$ at that time. It did run every
    game very nicely until Doom 3. Again, I said "nicely".

    That I think is the ice-breaker for a 9500 pro (oem)., Doom 3. I just
    replaced it with another (oem) 9800 pro and the game is 95% smooth as
    butter. I hold some of that into account that my system lacks on the 3
    generic sticks of ram I have. Only 1 gig total of pc2100 on a board that
    can hold more. The rest is:

    AMD 3000+ fsb333
    80 gig w/XP Pro OS
    C-media 8738 sound (better than onboard AC '97)
    20in. Monitor
    Latest Omega Driver

    3DMark 04 - 5700

    I love my 9500 pro. That was my best purchase. I have it in my 2nd pc and
    that thing still holds on well with every other game. The 9800 pro is a
    sweet piece, but it does not offer a jump like a 9500 pro did for its day.
    At least to/for me.

    SL

    p.s. long live the VooDoo 1 !!

    SL
    "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    >> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    >> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    >> best computer purchase I ever made.
    >
    > I should have bought it, instead I got the 9500 Pro. It lasted two years
    > but ran out of gas with Doom3 (800x600 without shadows, playable but ...)
    > It would have been a better investment at the time to get the 9800 Pro.
    > This time I got the x800 Pro, I really hope it lasts 3 years.
    >
    > GS.

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    That's alright, I've got $500 more in my pocket than you and I don't need
    that kind of resolution to enjoy this game.

    "fred" <noway@nohow.net> wrote in message news:419d0424$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Can you run it at 16 by 12 resolution, everything maxed out, with
    > AA-enabled, at 70FPS..... ? An X800 or 6800GT can -- least my 6800 GT can,
    > think that's all folks were trying to say. I just replaced my 9800 PRO,
    > which I agree is probably the best buy at the moment.

    News==----
    Newsgroups
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I see your point. You would think Halo's low res, low poly count textures and
    models should
    run at 1600x1200 on a 9800 Pro 2/128MB of memory but that sure as hell isn't
    the case. I was able to get Halo to run at 1280 x 1024 w/no problems. My 9800
    Pro is overclocked to XT speeds though, I've got 1GB of PC3200 DDR and an
    Athlon Barton running at 2340Mhz.

    >Rick Carney wrote:
    >> These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
    >> nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow
    >> as hell with Halo.
    >>

    >My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!

  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:21:01 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    >> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    >> best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    >> old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    >> out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    >> pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    >> when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    >> upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    >> money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    >> start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).
    >
    >I just got mine : when I got through the rigmoral of getting it working
    >(my machine had awful conflicts with it for some reason), it really is
    >an awesome upgrade.
    >
    >What I find interesting is that usualyy with a game, everyone starts
    >pulling their dicks out in order to compare frame rates : It says
    >something for the gameplay in HL2 that no one has done that yet!
    >Everyone is too busy enjoying the game for the gameplay and not the
    >technical achievements and how it runs on their machines.

    Here I'll start.. 100fps-80fps with my rig. ;)

    cl_showfps 1

    Pluvious
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On 18 Nov 2004 09:59:11 -0800, arcanastream@yahoo.com (John) wrote:

    >Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    >mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    >best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    >old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    >out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    >pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    >when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    >upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    >money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    >start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

    I agree completely. My 9800Pro runs fine (30-40 fps average or higher)
    with the following games,

    DOOM3 1024x768 2xAA 8xAF (ingame High Quality)
    Half Life 2 1152x864 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
    FarCry 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)

    Battlefield and UT2K4 based games run at obscene frame rates.
    Rome:Total War, Need for Speed: Underground, Richard Burns Rally and
    all other recent releases run just great.

    I think, I am good until 2006 when Oblivion and the next Unreal game
    may come out and the games with cutting edge rendering will start to
    look as good as 3DMark2K5 demo (which kills 9800Pro)

    Excellent card.
    --
    Noman
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "noman" <ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I agree completely. My 9800Pro runs fine (30-40 fps average or higher)
    > with the following games,
    >
    > DOOM3 1024x768 2xAA 8xAF (ingame High Quality)
    > Half Life 2 1152x864 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
    > FarCry 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
    >
    > Battlefield and UT2K4 based games run at obscene frame rates.

    BF42 is *not* a graphics whore. It'll run pretty fine with old GF2s.
    Different story for BFV, though.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Rick Carney" <rcarney@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are nuts.
    > The
    > 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow as hell with
    > Halo.

    Are you MicroSurprised?

    no, and yes...."
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Rick Carney wrote:
    > "JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Rick Carney wrote:
    > > > These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
    > > > nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still
    > > > slow as hell with Halo.
    > > >

    > > My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
    >
    > 6 FPS is perfect?

    6?? hmm, dunno where u got that from, more like 30 i think
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Pluvious wrote:

    > Here I'll start.. 100fps-80fps with my rig. ;)
    >
    > cl_showfps 1
    >
    > Pluvious

    Using FRAPS, I get between 50 and 75 depending on screen with a 2.5 p4,
    9800 pro 128 Meg 256bit and 1gig ram. All details on high, 4*AA and 8*AS
    filtering.

    Game continues to impress.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "fred" <noway@nohow.net> skrev i en meddelelse
    > Can you run it at 16 by 12 resolution, everything maxed out, with
    > AA-enabled, at 70FPS..... ? An X800 or 6800GT can -- least my 6800 GT can,
    > think that's all folks were trying to say. I just replaced my 9800 PRO,
    > which I agree is probably the best buy at the moment.

    I'm running HL2 at
    16x12, anis 4x, AA 0x,
    all details on high and water on "reflect all" with:

    Athlon XP 2300 MHz (200x11,5)
    1 GB ram - 2-3-3-10
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb @ 432/378

    Framerates (Fraps): 40-50 fps - thats enough for me...

    By the way, playing on af 20" TFT... :-D

    Zulu
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Rick Carney" wrote...

    >> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
    >
    > 6 FPS is perfect?

    Don't use FSAA with Halo, will slow it to a slideshow !!
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    ALright I'll try it later. I thought I remembered everyone bitching about
    the frame rate. I gave up on it after a while because it was choppy.

    Thanks

    "Mr B." <ask@me> wrote in message
    > "Rick Carney" wrote...
    >
    > >> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
    > >
    > > 6 FPS is perfect?
    >
    > Don't use FSAA with Halo, will slow it to a slideshow !!

  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Rick Carney wrote:
    > ALright I'll try it later. I thought I remembered everyone bitching
    > about the frame rate. I gave up on it after a while because it was
    > choppy.
    >
    > Thanks

    I seem to recall that most of Halo's framerate problems were with the
    GeForce FX line, similar to how the FX caards got their asses handed to them
    with the HL2 benchmarks from last year.

    --
    A Member of Troll Incorporated 3000
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    John wrote:
    > Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    > best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    > old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    > out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    > pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    > when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    > upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    > money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    > start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

    Yeah, I upgraded from an Fx5600 to a Radeon 9800 pro ($250 CDN, a decent
    price if you aks me), and I am SO happy with the improvements. Especially
    after how freaked out I got when I found out how shitty half-life 2 ran on
    the fx cards last year. I just need to upgrade my PC's RAM now :s

    --
    A Member of Troll Incorporated 3000
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    fred wrote:
    > Can you run it at 16 by 12 resolution, everything maxed out, with
    > AA-enabled, at 70FPS..... ? An X800 or 6800GT can -- least my 6800 GT
    > can,
    > think that's all folks were trying to say. I just replaced my 9800
    > PRO,
    > which I agree is probably the best buy at the moment.

    Dunno. I never even bother enabling AA in my games. HL2 is the fist game I
    ever enabled even 2x on, and I get great framerates on my 9800 pro and the
    graphics look great to me. Of course I'd prefer an x800 card, no doubt about
    dat, but I don't have the money or a pci express slot. Plus I'd probably
    need to upgrade my p/s.

    --
    A Member of Troll Incorporated 3000
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    BAMMO wrote:
    >> This card is now over two years
    >> old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    >> out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    >
    > It's not more than two years old, is it? I thought the 9800 Pro cam
    > out in August 2003.

    I thought that was when the 9800 XT came out. Dunno. These things get
    released too often it's hard to keep track :p

    --
    A Member of Troll Incorporated 3000
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    erm, sorry to slam your comment, but Halo does perform excellent on a
    9800pro - I'm talking 256-bit here, not the se128-bit anyway.

    > "JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Rick Carney wrote:
    > > > These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
    > > > nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow
    > > > as hell with Halo.
    > > >

    > > My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
    >
    > 6 FPS is perfect?

  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <cnitoi$2j0s$1@otis.netspace.net.au>, Blaedmon says...
    > erm, sorry to slam your comment, but Halo does perform excellent on a
    > 9800pro - I'm talking 256-bit here, not the se128-bit anyway.

    My SE is 256 bit...

    --
    Conor

    Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "SL" <pillott@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I can see your point Greg. I have a 9500 pro (non L-shaped mem/bios
    >enhanced) ATI card that has done its job for "God and Country" as the Brits
    >would say.

    Should be "King and Country " or "Queen and Country"
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Taking a moment's reflection, John mused:

    | Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    | mention Rome Total War) ... [snip] ... I had been worried I might need to
    | upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    | money.

    Consider this, though, you spend how much for it two years ago? Only to
    wait two years for three games to come out where it would benefit ...
    What's the difference in price for the 9800 Pro now as opposed to two years
    ago?
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Um, I've got a 9800 Pro overclocked to XT speeds (1GB PC3200, Barton at
    2340Mhz) and I sure as hell can't run Doom3 at high quality, 2xAA and 8xAF high
    quality acceptably. The timedemo demo that comes w/Doom3 is a fantasy. When you
    get to the first boss level in hell tell me how Doom3 runs for you. It'll be a
    slideshow.

    >I agree completely. My 9800Pro runs fine (30-40 fps average or higher)
    >with the following games,
    >
    >DOOM3 1024x768 2xAA 8xAF (ingame High Quality)
    >Half Life 2 1152x864 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
    >FarCry 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
    >
    >Battlefield and UT2K4 based games run at obscene frame rates.
    >Rome:Total War, Need for Speed: Underground, Richard Burns Rally and
    >all other recent releases run just great.
    >
    >I think, I am good until 2006 when Oblivion and the next Unreal game
    >may come out and the games with cutting edge rendering will start to
    >look as good as 3DMark2K5 demo (which kills 9800Pro)

  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    No it won't run pretty fine w/an old GF2. I tried running BF42 w/my GeForce
    2/GTS and even at 640x480 it ran like a dog.

    >BF42 is *not* a graphics whore. It'll run pretty fine with old GF2s.
    >Different story for BFV, though.

  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    rms wrote:
    > There are also performance tweaks for the 9800pro in HL2
    > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40872
    >
    > All the tweaks there are good, but scroll down a bit for a
    > ati-specific tweak.

    Well, I'm not sure why you would need to apply any performance tweeks for
    this game. In fact I'm disapointed. Doom3 and HL2 were supposed to be the
    games that forced users to upgrade their hardware... Hardly. Anyone with a
    1.5 P4 or an XP-1700 with 384 megs and a GeForce 3 TI-200 or an ATI Radeon
    8500 can get accpetable framerates at 800X600. Move up to a P4 2.4 or an
    XP-2400 with a GeForce 4 class card and you're playing at decent framerates
    at 1024X768.

    I installed on a fast machine with a GeForce 4 TI-4600 and it was smooth as
    silk at 1024X768... So, I wondered how it would go on a lesser machine.
    Even though Steam pitched a momentary hissy fit when I fed the same CD key
    for a different installation, it came out OK. I installed on a PIII 1.0 Ghz
    with a GeForce 3 TI-200 and 512 PC-2100. fraps is reporting 28.4 frames per
    second at 800X600 and the shadows etc turned off. There is some stuttering
    audio but I'm experiencing that on the fast machine, too.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    I started thinking something odd was going on in
    alt.games.half-life when one foggy november evening "twobirds"
    <notareal@eaddy.com> came into my office and told me:

    > Well, I'm not sure why you would need to apply any performance
    > tweeks for this game. In fact I'm disapointed. Doom3 and HL2
    > were supposed to be the games that forced users to upgrade their
    > hardware... Hardly.

    You're disappointed? Imagine how ATI and Nvidia feel!

    --
    Iphigenie, http://iphi.net
    Games of the moment: Lionheart, Spellforce

    Iphi's game news: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
    Iphi's UK bargain watch: http://www.iphi.net/more.php?id=102_0_1_0_M
    Latest Games News: http://www.iphi.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi?mode=games
    (currently Spellforce, Ground Control 2, Joint Operations, Rome Total
    War, Starshatter, Pariah)
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailSPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, John mused:
    > |
    > | Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > | mention Rome Total War) ... [snip] ... I had been worried I might need
    > | upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    > | money.
    >
    > Consider this, though, you spend how much for it two years ago? Only
    > wait two years for three games to come out where it would benefit ...
    > What's the difference in price for the 9800 Pro now as opposed to two
    years
    > ago?

    This is actually a great point. I "upgraded" from a Ti4600 to a 9800Pro,
    which turned out to be essentially a waste of money, because I was still
    playing my old games like BF1942, BHD, MOHAA, and Slinter Cell. With a good
    cpu, the 4600 still kicks butt on all but the latest generation of games, so
    is an excellent value if you want to play all the great games from the last
    couple of years. To this day I'm not sure if I've realized any real value
    from the 9800Pro, with the exception of Far Cry.

    jakesnake
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "John" <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    > best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    > old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    > out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    > pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    > when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    > upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    > money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    > start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

    I wonder if the 9800Pro was really "far ahead of its time" or if it's more a
    case of game development/technology slowing down as to not out-pace the
    abilities of the millions of cards out there already. Games sell better to
    an installed base. I know my old Ti4600 felt "far ahead of its time" too,
    as there didn't seem to be any games coming out that I couldn't play, so
    long as I could tweak my cpu a bit.

    jakesnake
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Taking a moment's reflection, jakesnake66 mused:

    | This is actually a great point. I "upgraded" from a Ti4600 to a 9800Pro,
    | which turned out to be essentially a waste of money, because I was still
    | playing my old games like BF1942, BHD, MOHAA, and Slinter Cell. With a
    | good cpu, the 4600 still kicks butt on all but the latest generation of
    | games, so is an excellent value if you want to play all the great games
    | from the last couple of years. To this day I'm not sure if I've realized
    | any real value from the 9800Pro, with the exception of Far Cry.

    I upgraded from a GF4 Ti4400 to a 9800 Pro because my GF4 went tits up.
    I wanted to get something a little better, without breaking the bank. But,
    I played all the way through Doom 3 on the GF4, and it played D3 just fine.
    1024x768, High details, and everything but shadows (mainly because I think
    they look bad) enabled.

    Though, when I played again with the 9800 Pro, I noticed visual effects
    that the GF4 wasn't able to display ... namely the visual distortion from
    explosions, and the visual effects of the heat vents in Hell.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    twobirds wrote:
    > rms wrote:
    >
    >>There are also performance tweaks for the 9800pro in HL2
    >>http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40872
    >>
    >>All the tweaks there are good, but scroll down a bit for a
    >>ati-specific tweak.
    >

    > Well, I'm not sure why you would need to apply any performance tweeks for
    > this game. In fact I'm disapointed. Doom3 and HL2 were supposed to be the
    > games that forced users to upgrade their hardware... Hardly. Anyone with a
    > 1.5 P4 or an XP-1700 with 384 megs and a GeForce 3 TI-200 or an ATI Radeon
    > 8500 can get accpetable framerates at 800X600. Move up to a P4 2.4 or an
    > XP-2400 with a GeForce 4 class card and you're playing at decent framerates
    > at 1024X768.
    >
    > I installed on a fast machine with a GeForce 4 TI-4600 and it was smooth as
    > silk at 1024X768... So, I wondered how it would go on a lesser machine.
    > Even though Steam pitched a momentary hissy fit when I fed the same CD key
    > for a different installation, it came out OK. I installed on a PIII 1.0 Ghz
    > with a GeForce 3 TI-200 and 512 PC-2100. fraps is reporting 28.4 frames per
    > second at 800X600 and the shadows etc turned off. There is some stuttering
    > audio but I'm experiencing that on the fast machine, too.

    the stuttering audio seems to be a symptom of using highest-quality
    sound (setting to medium or low seems to fix this).. 28.4 isn't too bad
    - but remember that Valve *did* say their minimum specs were 1.2Ghz on a
    DX7 card.. Which was a significant increase from last year's minimum
    specs of 700Mhz :-) unlike most minimum reported specs, Valve seem to
    have actually put some constructive thought into theirs :-)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Today's episode is brought to you by the word "patience", the letter
    "lambda", and the number two ;-)
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    >> Anyone with a
    >> 1.5 P4 or an XP-1700 with 384 megs and a GeForce 3 TI-200 or an ATI
    >> Radeon
    >> 8500 can get accpetable framerates at 800X600. Move up to a P4 2.4 or an
    >> XP-2400 with a GeForce 4 class card and you're playing at decent
    >> framerates
    >> at 1024X768.

    Thats just bollocks. I used my Geforce 5900 ULTRA card on a 3400+ FX53 AMD
    64 CPU, two REGISTERED 512MB and raid hard drives (bought the system from
    mesh). The games were O.K, but did suffer in some grahical intense scenes,
    and stuttured a lot (not the audio stutter problem).

    I bought a 6800 GT yesterday, and it has resulted in a PHENOMONAL increase
    in performance, I can now run ALL the DX 9 features, and at a full speed
    resolution of 1280 x 1024. I also have all the settings set to the highest
    quality and I am using 8X AA and 16X AF (Or is it 16X AA and 8X AF?).

    It looks amazing...

    Gary.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Sorry, it was a GEFORCE 5950 Ultra I had...

    --
    Regards,

    Gary.

    Visit Tigger's site and read his story.
    Browse photos of all our cats - Tigger, Tootsie and Tango.
    http://www.cutecats.co.uk
    "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone with a
    >>> 1.5 P4 or an XP-1700 with 384 megs and a GeForce 3 TI-200 or an ATI
    >>> Radeon
    >>> 8500 can get accpetable framerates at 800X600. Move up to a P4 2.4 or
    >>> an
    >>> XP-2400 with a GeForce 4 class card and you're playing at decent
    >>> framerates
    >>> at 1024X768.
    >

    > Thats just bollocks. I used my Geforce 5900 ULTRA card on a 3400+ FX53
    > AMD 64 CPU, two REGISTERED 512MB and raid hard drives (bought the system
    > from mesh). The games were O.K, but did suffer in some grahical intense
    > scenes, and stuttured a lot (not the audio stutter problem).
    >
    > I bought a 6800 GT yesterday, and it has resulted in a PHENOMONAL increase
    > in performance, I can now run ALL the DX 9 features, and at a full speed
    > resolution of 1280 x 1024. I also have all the settings set to the
    > highest quality and I am using 8X AA and 16X AF (Or is it 16X AA and 8X
    > AF?).
    >
    > It looks amazing...
    >
    > Gary.

  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Gary wrote:
    >>>Anyone with a
    >>>1.5 P4 or an XP-1700 with 384 megs and a GeForce 3 TI-200 or an ATI
    >>>Radeon
    >>>8500 can get accpetable framerates at 800X600. Move up to a P4 2.4 or an
    >>>XP-2400 with a GeForce 4 class card and you're playing at decent
    >>>framerates
    >>>at 1024X768.
    >

    > Thats just bollocks. I used my Geforce 5900 ULTRA card on a 3400+ FX53 AMD
    > 64 CPU, two REGISTERED 512MB and raid hard drives (bought the system from
    > mesh). The games were O.K, but did suffer in some grahical intense scenes,
    > and stuttured a lot (not the audio stutter problem).

    It depends what "acceptable framerates" are to you.. some people are
    quite happy playing at 25fps, wheras others get narky the moment their
    framerate drops below 50 :-)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Today's episode is brought to you by the word "patience", the letter
    "lambda", and the number two ;-)
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:06:31 GMT, "mhicaoidh"
    <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote:

    > I upgraded from a GF4 Ti4400 to a 9800 Pro because my GF4 went tits up.
    >I wanted to get something a little better, without breaking the bank. But,
    >I played all the way through Doom 3 on the GF4, and it played D3 just fine.
    >1024x768, High details, and everything but shadows (mainly because I think
    >they look bad) enabled.
    >
    > Though, when I played again with the 9800 Pro, I noticed visual effects
    >that the GF4 wasn't able to display ... namely the visual distortion from
    >explosions, and the visual effects of the heat vents in Hell.

    You'll see more noticeable differences in FarCry or in recent games
    like MoH: Pacific Assault and Half-Life2.

    For older games the biggest advantage is that you can run the game
    with decent AA/AF settings at the same resolutions that you were using
    for the 4600. Play a game like GTA3 with 4xAA and 8xAF and it looks
    completely different compared to when it runs with no AA/AF.
    --
    Noman
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Gary wrote:

    > Thats just bollocks. I used my Geforce 5900 ULTRA card on a 3400+
    > FX53 AMD 64 CPU, two REGISTERED 512MB and raid hard drives (bought
    > the system from mesh). The games were O.K, but did suffer in some
    > grahical intense scenes, and stuttured a lot (not the audio stutter
    > problem).
    > I bought a 6800 GT yesterday, and it has resulted in a PHENOMONAL
    > increase in performance, I can now run ALL the DX 9 features, and at
    > a full speed resolution of 1280 x 1024. I also have all the settings
    > set to the highest quality and I am using 8X AA and 16X AF (Or is it
    > 16X AA and 8X AF?).

    Read here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2281

    NV3x s**** in HL2.

    Zulu
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    If you sick of 9800 pro look at this link
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=0

    "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message news:<Prnod.30120$T13.10833@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
    > "John" <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
    > > mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
    > > best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
    > > old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
    > > out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
    > > pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
    > > when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
    > > upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
    > > money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
    > > start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).
    >
    > I wonder if the 9800Pro was really "far ahead of its time" or if it's more a
    > case of game development/technology slowing down as to not out-pace the
    > abilities of the millions of cards out there already. Games sell better to
    > an installed base. I know my old Ti4600 felt "far ahead of its time" too,
    > as there didn't seem to be any games coming out that I couldn't play, so
    > long as I could tweak my cpu a bit.
    >
    > jakesnake
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:
    >two REGISTERED 512MB
    [...]
    > The games were O.K, but did suffer in some grahical intense scenes,
    >and stuttured a lot (not the audio stutter problem).

    Isn't registered memory a lot slower, due to the registers adding
    delay?
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Zulu" <zulu@.N.O.S.P.A.M.toughguy.net> wrote in message
    > Gary wrote:
    >>
    >> Thats just bollocks. I used my Geforce 5900 ULTRA card on a 3400+
    >> FX53 AMD 64 CPU, two REGISTERED 512MB and raid hard drives (bought
    >> the system from mesh). The games were O.K, but did suffer in some
    >> grahical intense scenes, and stuttured a lot (not the audio stutter
    >> problem).
    >> I bought a 6800 GT yesterday, and it has resulted in a PHENOMONAL
    >> increase in performance, I can now run ALL the DX 9 features, and at
    >> a full speed resolution of 1280 x 1024. I also have all the settings
    >> set to the highest quality and I am using 8X AA and 16X AF (Or is it
    >> 16X AA and 8X AF?).
    >
    > Read here: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2281
    >
    > NV3x s**** in HL2.
    >
    > Zulu

    He is using DX9 with a 6800GT, not an FX.

Radeon Games ATI Graphics Product