God bless my 9800 Pro

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

John wrote:
> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
> best computer purchase I ever made.

I should have bought it, instead I got the 9500 Pro. It lasted two years
but ran out of gas with Doom3 (800x600 without shadows, playable but ...)
It would have been a better investment at the time to get the 9800 Pro.
This time I got the x800 Pro, I really hope it lasts 3 years.

GS.

fred

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Can you run it at 16 by 12 resolution, everything maxed out, with
AA-enabled, at 70FPS..... ? An X800 or 6800GT can -- least my 6800 GT can,
think that's all folks were trying to say. I just replaced my 9800 PRO,
which I agree is probably the best buy at the moment.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> This card is now over two years
> old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
> out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's

It's not more than two years old, is it? I thought the 9800 Pro cam out in
August 2003.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are nuts. The
9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow as hell with Halo.

"John" <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
> best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
> old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
> out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
> pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
> when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
> upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
> money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
> start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Rick Carney wrote:
> These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
> nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow
> as hell with Halo.

My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 11/18/2004 10:10 AM rms brightened our day with:

>There are also performance tweaks for the 9800pro in HL2
>http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40872
>
>All the tweaks there are good, but scroll down a bit for a ati-specific
>tweak.
>
>rms

So create an autoexec.cfg with this:

snd_async_fullyasync "1"
r_fastzreject "1"

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Rick Carney wrote:
> > These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
> > nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow
> > as hell with Halo.
> >

> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!

6 FPS is perfect?

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:51:15 GMT, "Rick Carney" <rcarney@socal.rr.com>
wrote:

>> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
>
>6 FPS is perfect?

I don't know what you are doing wrong with your machine, but my 9700
Pro has run Halo perfectly smoothly since the day of release.

John wrote:
> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
> best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
> old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
> out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
> pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
> when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
> upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
> money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
> start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

I just got mine : when I got through the rigmoral of getting it working
(my machine had awful conflicts with it for some reason), it really is
an awesome upgrade.

What I find interesting is that usualyy with a game, everyone starts
pulling their dicks out in order to compare frame rates : It says
something for the gameplay in HL2 that no one has done that yet!
Everyone is too busy enjoying the game for the gameplay and not the
technical achievements and how it runs on their machines.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"John" <arcanastream@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
> best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
> old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
> out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
> pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
> when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
> upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
> money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
> start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

The 9800 Pro is simply still a decent video card. ATI's public relations
department originally stated that you would "need" a 9800XT to enjoy
Half-Life 2 to it's potential, and a 9800 Pro isn't much slower. PC Gamer
magazine also originally said that the 9700 Pro was something of the
unofficial video card of Doom 3, so I would have expected the 9800 Pro to
hold up well there also. STALKER should be good with it too, if not they'll
lose sales of the game since it's not realistic to expect that most folks
will shell out big bucks for a new video card because of one game.

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:51:15 GMT, "Rick Carney" <rcarney@socal.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
> >
> >6 FPS is perfect?
>
> I don't know what you are doing wrong with your machine, but my 9700
> Pro has run Halo perfectly smoothly since the day of release.

One of you running Halo at 1600 rez with max details and AA/AF on, and the
other is at 300rez with low details and AA/AF off?

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:43:04 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>One of you running Halo at 1600 rez with max details and AA/AF on, and the
>other is at 300rez with low details and AA/AF off?

1024x768, all details maxxed. Halo doesn't require or work well with
FSAA.

SL

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I can see your point Greg. I have a 9500 pro (non L-shaped mem/bios
enhanced) ATI card that has done its job for "God and Country" as the Brits
would say. I did pay a pretty penny of 200$ at that time. It did run every
game very nicely until Doom 3. Again, I said "nicely".

That I think is the ice-breaker for a 9500 pro (oem)., Doom 3. I just
replaced it with another (oem) 9800 pro and the game is 95% smooth as
butter. I hold some of that into account that my system lacks on the 3
generic sticks of ram I have. Only 1 gig total of pc2100 on a board that
can hold more. The rest is:

AMD 3000+ fsb333
80 gig w/XP Pro OS
C-media 8738 sound (better than onboard AC '97)
20in. Monitor
Latest Omega Driver

3DMark 04 - 5700

I love my 9500 pro. That was my best purchase. I have it in my 2nd pc and
that thing still holds on well with every other game. The 9800 pro is a
sweet piece, but it does not offer a jump like a 9500 pro did for its day.
At least to/for me.

SL

p.s. long live the VooDoo 1 !!

SL
"Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
> John wrote:
>> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
>> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
>> best computer purchase I ever made.
>
> I should have bought it, instead I got the 9500 Pro. It lasted two years
> but ran out of gas with Doom3 (800x600 without shadows, playable but ...)
> It would have been a better investment at the time to get the 9800 Pro.
> This time I got the x800 Pro, I really hope it lasts 3 years.
>
> GS.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

That's alright, I've got $500 more in my pocket than you and I don't need
that kind of resolution to enjoy this game.

"fred" <noway@nohow.net> wrote in message news:419d0424$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> Can you run it at 16 by 12 resolution, everything maxed out, with
> AA-enabled, at 70FPS..... ? An X800 or 6800GT can -- least my 6800 GT can,
> think that's all folks were trying to say. I just replaced my 9800 PRO,
> which I agree is probably the best buy at the moment.

News==----
Newsgroups

I see your point. You would think Halo's low res, low poly count textures and
models should
run at 1600x1200 on a 9800 Pro 2/128MB of memory but that sure as hell isn't
the case. I was able to get Halo to run at 1280 x 1024 w/no problems. My 9800
Pro is overclocked to XT speeds though, I've got 1GB of PC3200 DDR and an
Athlon Barton running at 2340Mhz.

>Rick Carney wrote:
>> These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
>> nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow
>> as hell with Halo.
>>

>My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:21:01 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
>> mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
>> best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
>> old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
>> out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
>> pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
>> when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
>> upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
>> money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
>> start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).
>
>I just got mine : when I got through the rigmoral of getting it working
>(my machine had awful conflicts with it for some reason), it really is
>an awesome upgrade.
>
>What I find interesting is that usualyy with a game, everyone starts
>pulling their dicks out in order to compare frame rates : It says
>something for the gameplay in HL2 that no one has done that yet!
>Everyone is too busy enjoying the game for the gameplay and not the
>technical achievements and how it runs on their machines.

Here I'll start.. 100fps-80fps with my rig. ;)

cl_showfps 1

Pluvious

noman

On 18 Nov 2004 09:59:11 -0800, arcanastream@yahoo.com (John) wrote:

>Now that the two big "guns" are out -- Doom 3 and Half Life 2 (not to
>mention Rome Total War), I can safely say my Radeon 9800 Pro was the
>best computer purchase I ever made. This card is now over two years
>old, there weren't even any DX9 titles released when it first came
>out, and yet it runs the latest games without a hitch. I think that's
>pretty amazing and a testament to how far ahead of its time it was
>when ATI first conceived it. I had been worried I might need to
>upgrade to an X800 or something, but thank God I didn't waste the
>money. My trusty old 9800 Pro has done a marvelous job. (Now I'll
>start worrying about whether it can handle STALKER).

I agree completely. My 9800Pro runs fine (30-40 fps average or higher)
with the following games,

DOOM3 1024x768 2xAA 8xAF (ingame High Quality)
Half Life 2 1152x864 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
FarCry 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)

Battlefield and UT2K4 based games run at obscene frame rates.
Rome:Total War, Need for Speed: Underground, Richard Burns Rally and
all other recent releases run just great.

I think, I am good until 2006 when Oblivion and the next Unreal game
may come out and the games with cutting edge rendering will start to
look as good as 3DMark2K5 demo (which kills 9800Pro)

Excellent card.
--
Noman

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"noman" <ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I agree completely. My 9800Pro runs fine (30-40 fps average or higher)
> with the following games,
>
> DOOM3 1024x768 2xAA 8xAF (ingame High Quality)
> Half Life 2 1152x864 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
> FarCry 1024x768 2xAA 4xAF (every graphic setting at max)
>
> Battlefield and UT2K4 based games run at obscene frame rates.

BF42 is *not* a graphics whore. It'll run pretty fine with old GF2s.
Different story for BFV, though.

"Rick Carney" <rcarney@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are nuts.
> The
> 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still slow as hell with
> Halo.

Are you MicroSurprised?

no, and yes...."

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Rick Carney wrote:
> "JimBob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Rick Carney wrote:
> > > These people who say you can't run Half Life 2 without an X800 are
> > > nuts. The 9800 Pro works perfect with the game. But it's still
> > > slow as hell with Halo.
> > >

> > My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
>
> 6 FPS is perfect?

6?? hmm, dunno where u got that from, more like 30 i think

Pluvious wrote:

> Here I'll start.. 100fps-80fps with my rig. ;)
>
> cl_showfps 1
>
> Pluvious

Using FRAPS, I get between 50 and 75 depending on screen with a 2.5 p4,
9800 pro 128 Meg 256bit and 1gig ram. All details on high, 4*AA and 8*AS
filtering.

Game continues to impress.

zulu

"fred" <noway@nohow.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> Can you run it at 16 by 12 resolution, everything maxed out, with
> AA-enabled, at 70FPS..... ? An X800 or 6800GT can -- least my 6800 GT can,
> think that's all folks were trying to say. I just replaced my 9800 PRO,
> which I agree is probably the best buy at the moment.

I'm running HL2 at
16x12, anis 4x, AA 0x,
all details on high and water on "reflect all" with:

Athlon XP 2300 MHz (200x11,5)
1 GB ram - 2-3-3-10
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb @ 432/378

Framerates (Fraps): 40-50 fps - thats enough for me...

By the way, playing on af 20" TFT... :-D

Zulu

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Rick Carney" wrote...

>> My bro has a 9800 pro, and Halo runs perfectly!
>
> 6 FPS is perfect?

Don't use FSAA with Halo, will slow it to a slideshow !!