HL2 and Steam

One question - if I download it can I burn it to a CD/DVD? I occasionally
have "adventures" with my system and wind up reinstall the OS (actually I do
this intentionally once a year or so anyway). Sounds like with the download
I would then need to buy the retail version. Is this true or can I backup
the Steam version and reinstall it? TIA. Richard

Tim

"Richard Miller" <millerrj3@att.net> wrote in message
> One question - if I download it can I burn it to a CD/DVD? I occasionally
> have "adventures" with my system and wind up reinstall the OS (actually I
> do this intentionally once a year or so anyway). Sounds like with the
> download I would then need to buy the retail version. Is this true or can
> I backup the Steam version and reinstall it? TIA. Richard

No you don't need the retail version. Once your downloaded version is
installed Steam can make a backup archive to your hard drive, you can then
burn it to CD, DVD, etc. You only need to have Steam installed before
restoring it at a later time. Since your downloaded copy is tied to a
specific Steam account you can even install it on a different system.

"Richard Miller" <millerrj3@att.net> wrote in message
> One question - if I download it can I burn it to a CD/DVD? I occasionally
> have "adventures" with my system and wind up reinstall the OS (actually I
do
> this intentionally once a year or so anyway). Sounds like with the
download
> I would then need to buy the retail version. Is this true or can I backup
> the Steam version and reinstall it? TIA. Richard

Steam has a built-in backup facility, it is not 'official' yet as there is
no way to directly operate it within Steam. However it is in there and fully
working, all you need is to enter a simple command in Run.

steam://backup/

Full details here -
http://www.nextwish.org/comments.php?id=1099863047,29387

Tim

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

> Steam has a built-in backup facility, it is not 'official' yet as there is
> no way to directly operate it within Steam.

Yes there is. From the "Play Games" menu, right click on Half Life 2 and
select "Backup Game Files ...".

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message
>

> > Steam has a built-in backup facility, it is not 'official' yet as there
is
> > no way to directly operate it within Steam.
> >

> Yes there is. From the "Play Games" menu, right click on Half Life 2 and
> select "Backup Game Files ...".

Well I'll be jiggered, you're right :)

TRENDING THREADS