HELP - Error message "Video not available, cannot find vid..

I get this error message when I start Half-Life 2.

The game play is fine and so is the ingame video's.

However, when the game starts, this message appears.

Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks,
Dim-Ize
4 answers Last reply
More about help error message video available find

    Sounds like the codec used for the intro video is not installed on your
    system.
    Have you tried the Half-life 2 website for support?

    <dimize@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I get this error message when I start Half-Life 2.
    >
    > The game play is fine and so is the ingame video's.
    >
    > However, when the game starts, this message appears.
    >
    > Anyone know of a fix?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dim-Ize

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:12:34 +0800, "Son of Blahguy"
    <snuh@whatsamatta.edu> wrote:

    >Sounds like the codec used for the intro video is not installed on your
    >system.
    >Have you tried the Half-life 2 website for support?
    >

    ><dimize@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I get this error message when I start Half-Life 2.
    >>
    >> The game play is fine and so is the ingame video's.
    >>
    >> However, when the game starts, this message appears.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a fix?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Dim-Ize

    Thanks for your suggestion.

    I've tried the support forums. Unfortunately the search feature is
    disabled. As you can imagine there are thousands of posts to scroll
    through looking for my particullar problem.

    Also, I cannot seem to find a way to contact Steam or Valve to ask
    them directly.

    I downloaded this game through Steam, Valve's online payment and
    distribution system.

    I can't imagine why I wouldn't have gotten the intro video, but that
    makes sense to me as to the error - as opposed to me missing some sort
    of codec which is what I thought was the problem.

    Anyone else have any suggestions as I continue to try and reach Valve?

    Thanks,
    Dim-Ize

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:14:49 -0600, dimize@nospam.com wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:12:34 +0800, "Son of Blahguy"
    ><snuh@whatsamatta.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>Sounds like the codec used for the intro video is not installed on your
    >>system.
    >>Have you tried the Half-life 2 website for support?
    >>

    >><dimize@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I get this error message when I start Half-Life 2.
    >>>
    >>> The game play is fine and so is the ingame video's.
    >>>
    >>> However, when the game starts, this message appears.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of a fix?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Dim-Ize
    >>>

    >Thanks for your suggestion.
    >
    >I've tried the support forums. Unfortunately the search feature is
    >disabled. As you can imagine there are thousands of posts to scroll
    >through looking for my particullar problem.
    >
    >Also, I cannot seem to find a way to contact Steam or Valve to ask
    >them directly.
    >
    >I downloaded this game through Steam, Valve's online payment and
    >distribution system.
    >
    >I can't imagine why I wouldn't have gotten the intro video, but that
    >makes sense to me as to the error - as opposed to me missing some sort
    >of codec which is what I thought was the problem.
    >
    >Anyone else have any suggestions as I continue to try and reach Valve?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Dim-Ize

    Actually, it is a codec problem.

    I found the intro movie (thanks for getting me thinking correctly) and
    used gspot to determine why the file wouldn't play.

    It says I don't have the codec installed. I checked in system32
    directory and I do in fact have it installed. It was part of XP
    Service Pack 2 update.

    Very puzzled. I can play every other type of file (video file) on my
    system except this one.

    Dim-Ize

    <dimize@nospam.com> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > Actually, it is a codec problem.
    >
    > I found the intro movie (thanks for getting me thinking correctly) and
    > used gspot to determine why the file wouldn't play.
    >
    > It says I don't have the codec installed. I checked in system32
    > directory and I do in fact have it installed. It was part of XP
    > Service Pack 2 update.
    >
    > Very puzzled. I can play every other type of file (video file) on my
    > system except this one.
    >
    > Dim-Ize

    I think there was some kind of similar Indeo codec problem, if you had
    installed 5.11, all of your 5.10 reliant videos would either just not play
    at all (you didn't even know you had missed them), or the screen would go
    black for the duration of the movie.
    Maybe there is some way to register the codec in the registry, or get the
    codec by themselves and install them.

    Good luck.

Radeon Video Games Error Message Graphics