How to uninstall Video drivers?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.os.linux.suse (More info?)

Hello,

I'm a newbie that recently installed Suse 9.1. I then installed the latest
ATI video drivers for my Radeon 9600 XT. Then Linux would lockup totally on
boot up. I could only get in if I chose failsafe mode.

So I did a reinstall and that got things working again, but I still don't
have my ATI drivers installed. So I was thinking of trying out some of the
older versions of the drivers to see if I could find one that would give me
3D acceleration AND not lock up on boot up!

Problem is, I don't know how to uninstall video drivers under Linux.

Help please!

Thanks,

Jeff

mjt

Jeff Ingram wrote:

> Problem is, I don't know how to uninstall video drivers under Linux.

depends on the packaging

Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.os.linux.suse (More info?)

Jeff Ingram adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear to
write:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie that recently installed Suse 9.1. I then installed the
> latest
> ATI video drivers for my Radeon 9600 XT. Then Linux would lockup
> totally on
> boot up. I could only get in if I chose failsafe mode.
>
> So I did a reinstall and that got things working again, but I still
> don't
> have my ATI drivers installed. So I was thinking of trying out some
> of the older versions of the drivers to see if I could find one that
> would give me 3D acceleration AND not lock up on boot up!
>
> Problem is, I don't know how to uninstall video drivers under Linux.

Hi Jeff,

Don`t know about the ATI modules but if they come in an rpm you can just
do:-
rpm -e "ati-drivers-name".rpm

If they are in an tarball and need to be compiled and installed have a
look in the dir and see if the is an uninstall script.

If they are a unified packaged binary installer like the Nvidias then
there is an uninstall option.

Or you can just try and install the old version over the top, there is
no registry to corrupt and clean out in linux so this "should" work
fine YMMV.

If you get into trouble and the GUI will not come up then just run sax2
from the command-line and reconfigure the graphics to use the default
ati module, with the Nvidias if the drivers refuse to work you can just
edit the XF86Config and change the "Nvidia" to "nv" in the device
section to use the open source non accel module to get back the gui
until you can fix it, as I said I don`t do ATI so this might not be
100% correct.

HTH

--
Mark
Illegitimi Non Carborundum!

mjt

baskitcaise wrote:

> If you get into trouble and the GUI will not come up then just run sax2
> from the command-line and reconfigure the graphics to use the default
> ati module, with the Nvidias if the drivers refuse to work you can just
> edit the XF86Config and change the "Nvidia" to "nv" in the device
> section to use the open source non accel module to get back the gui
> until you can fix it, as I said I don`t do ATI so this might not be
> 100% correct.

.... or at a minimum, use the standard vga driver,
"vga", or standard ATI driver, "ati"
The giraffe you thought you offended last week
is willing to be nuzzled today.

darklight

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.os.linux.suse (More info?)

ATI drivers from their web site do not support 3D
if you want 3D get a nvidia graphics card then download the
the drivers for the above card from the suse web site if
you do an online update you will get the drivers from there
the os will install the drivers for you

Or go to the nvidia web site and get the drivers from there
you will have to install the drivers your self thou

If you go into graphics card and monitor and click on nvidia
you will see the supported graphics card

Hope this helps

I believe that's what I'm using. And I don't believe there's 3d
acceleration with the standard driver...

Thanks,

Jeff