HELP please: "Can't Play CS:S OFFLINE with Bots

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have finished all the updates of CS:S (100% ready for offline play).
Then on STEAM offline mode, whenever I create a server OFFLINE to play
with
bots, I got this error message when the map about 90% loaded:
"The Computer or sharename could not be found, make sure you typed it
correctly"
or:
"\\4| is not accessible, the network is not accessible, for more
information look in the Help Index at the topic "Network
Troubleshooter".
I don't know what computer/connection is "\\4|"? (corrupted network
configuration?)

I can create a listen server when I am online and play with bots.
I can join internet server online to play with other players.
I can play HL2, HL2DM, CS:S online.

Only CS:S (create LAN server) offline is the problem.

I have tried validating all my Source gcf files for several times, but
no help at all.

I wonder if it is caused by some network configuration setting in my pc
or some network system files have been corrupted.

Please help me as I long to play with Bots OFFLINE as I can't afford
local phone bills on this dial up 56k connection.
(18cent/ per call in Australia).

I know it's cheapskate on my part but if I can manage to play bots
offline why should I dial up and waste 18 cents?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Daniel

On 1/22/2005 12:05 AM dan brightened our day with:

>I have finished all the updates of CS:S (100% ready for offline play).
>Then on STEAM offline mode, whenever I create a server OFFLINE to play
>with
>bots, I got this error message when the map about 90% loaded:
>"The Computer or sharename could not be found, make sure you typed it
>correctly"
>or:
>"\\4| is not accessible, the network is not accessible, for more
>information look in the Help Index at the topic "Network
>Troubleshooter".
>I don't know what computer/connection is "\\4|"? (corrupted network
>configuration?)
>
>I can create a listen server when I am online and play with bots.
>I can join internet server online to play with other players.
>I can play HL2, HL2DM, CS:S online.
>
>Only CS:S (create LAN server) offline is the problem.
>
>I have tried validating all my Source gcf files for several times, but
>no help at all.
>
>I wonder if it is caused by some network configuration setting in my pc
>or some network system files have been corrupted.
>
>Please help me as I long to play with Bots OFFLINE as I can't afford
>local phone bills on this dial up 56k connection.
>(18cent/ per call in Australia).
>
>I know it's cheapskate on my part but if I can manage to play bots
>offline why should I dial up and waste 18 cents?
>
>Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks and Regards,
>Daniel

Has your computer always been on dial-up or was it once part of a
network? Is this Windows XP? Have you disabled any services? Are you
running some kind of firewall software?
Your problem is pretty strange. Do you have a network card in your
computer?

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My computer is always a standalone PC on dial up networking, my network tab
has only TCP/IP and Dial up adapter. I have tried even to the extreme
measure to uninstall my firewall software after re-format the HD and
re-install HL2 CS:S but the problem is still there.
I have visited STEAMpowered.com forum and posted this request for help and I
found out that many users also ahve the same problem "Connect to http://4|"
when in OFFLINE mode.
I assume the only connection the computer should have when creating a server
in OFFLINE mode is 127.0.0.1:27015 or 27030 (localhost).
I don't see the reason why it tried to connect to some http://4...something,
time out and crashed.
I suspect it casued by this file: motd.txt
looking at the header:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
This is the only thing that mentions http:// and message of the day is the
one that flashes on your screen before the round starts...The very moment
that my pc crashed.
Do you have any suggestion to edit/ or is it safe to delete this file?
Thanks and regards,
Daniel

LymanAlpha wrote:

> On 1/22/2005 12:05 AM dan brightened our day with:
>
> >I have finished all the updates of CS:S (100% ready for offline play).
> >Then on STEAM offline mode, whenever I create a server OFFLINE to play
> >with
> >bots, I got this error message when the map about 90% loaded:
> >"The Computer or sharename could not be found, make sure you typed it
> >correctly"
> >or:
> >"\\4| is not accessible, the network is not accessible, for more
> >information look in the Help Index at the topic "Network
> >Troubleshooter".
> >I don't know what computer/connection is "\\4|"? (corrupted network
> >configuration?)
> >
> >I can create a listen server when I am online and play with bots.
> >I can join internet server online to play with other players.
> >I can play HL2, HL2DM, CS:S online.
> >
> >Only CS:S (create LAN server) offline is the problem.
> >
> >I have tried validating all my Source gcf files for several times, but
> >no help at all.
> >
> >I wonder if it is caused by some network configuration setting in my pc
> >or some network system files have been corrupted.
> >
> >Please help me as I long to play with Bots OFFLINE as I can't afford
> >local phone bills on this dial up 56k connection.
> >(18cent/ per call in Australia).
> >
> >I know it's cheapskate on my part but if I can manage to play bots
> >offline why should I dial up and waste 18 cents?
> >
> >Your help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks and Regards,
> >Daniel
> >

> Has your computer always been on dial-up or was it once part of a
> network? Is this Windows XP? Have you disabled any services? Are you
> running some kind of firewall software?
> Your problem is pretty strange. Do you have a network card in your
> computer?
>
> --
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

On 1/22/2005 3:16 PM dan brightened our day with:

> [...]
>>>
>>>I have tried validating all my Source gcf files for several times, but
>>>no help at all.
>>>
>>>I wonder if it is caused by some network configuration setting in my pc
>>>or some network system files have been corrupted.
>>>
>>>Please help me as I long to play with Bots OFFLINE as I can't afford
>>>local phone bills on this dial up 56k connection.
>>>(18cent/ per call in Australia).
>>>
>>>I know it's cheapskate on my part but if I can manage to play bots
>>>offline why should I dial up and waste 18 cents?
>>>
>>>Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks and Regards,
>>>Daniel
>>>

>>Has your computer always been on dial-up or was it once part of a
>>network? Is this Windows XP? Have you disabled any services? Are you
>>running some kind of firewall software?
>>Your problem is pretty strange. Do you have a network card in your

Check the hosts file found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.
Open it up in notepad if there's anything in there besides the localhost
IP delete the extraneous stuff.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

fist go to google and write bots player offline and click in CS bots off

and then come to download and wen you download save it in desktop

and then go in my computer an C and valve and Cstrike folder and

save the folder you download in Cstrike folder and you can open

CS 1.6 or CS source and start the game when you see nothing

and then open the console and type bot_add_ct: counter forces

and bot_add_t: terrorist forces and you can play and get bot offline