Pocket Excel

April 27, 2004 7:36:03 AM

Out of curiosity since i've been playing with this
because I need to make a budget for myself (argh)

Pocket Excel on my 5550 seems to work differently
when using the 'fill' function under Edit|Fill..
when I want to fill cells with say, the names of
each month from B1 through M1.
I select the cells, Edit|Fill.. Select Direction
Right, Fill Type Series, Series Type Date:Month
with Step value 1, and tap OK.
Nothing happens.

I'm quite a dunce when it comes to Excel so i'm
probably missing something, but for the life of
me I can't get it to fill one line of horizontal
cells with the month names.
Which step has to be taken differently on the
PPC to get the same functionality as on the desktop?

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

More about : pocket excel

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 10:57:23 AM

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Out of curiosity since i've been playing with this
>because I need to make a budget for myself (argh)
>
>Pocket Excel on my 5550 seems to work differently
>when using the 'fill' function under Edit|Fill..
>when I want to fill cells with say, the names of
>each month from B1 through M1.
>I select the cells, Edit|Fill.. Select Direction
>Right, Fill Type Series, Series Type Date:Month
>with Step value 1, and tap OK.
>Nothing happens.

That would be for a real date, not the labels. Type January in the
first cell, select that cell and the 11 to the right of it, Edit|Fill,
Series and leave it on AutoFill.

April 27, 2004 10:57:24 AM

My bad.. I forgot to mention that when I try that,
it pastes 'January' into all the cells instead of
continuing from January to the other months <:)

I noticed that when I select say, A1 through E5
(a square region on the worksheet) then it will
fill up starting at A1 through A5..
not quite what I expected, but at least it shows
it's capable of filling.

~S.

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-
silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in

> That would be for a real date, not the labels. Type January in the
> first cell, select that cell and the 11 to the right of it, Edit|Fill,
> Series and leave it on AutoFill.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
April 27, 2004 2:05:56 PM

Strange things always happen on some days.
I'm just home right now, and tried the fill
function again. ofcourse -now- it fills out
the way it should have all along, without
changing the way I access the feature..

~S.

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in

> My bad.. I forgot to mention that when I try that,
> it pastes 'January' into all the cells instead of
> continuing from January to the other months <:)
>
> I noticed that when I select say, A1 through E5
> (a square region on the worksheet) then it will
> fill up starting at A1 through A5..
> not quite what I expected, but at least it shows
> it's capable of filling.
>
> ~S.
>

> "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-
> silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in
>
>> That would be for a real date, not the labels. Type January in the
>> first cell, select that cell and the 11 to the right of it, Edit|Fill,
>> Series and leave it on AutoFill.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 3:11:04 PM

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94D87FF59CBA7FearIsTheMindKiller@207.46.248.16>...
> Out of curiosity since i've been playing with this
> because I need to make a budget for myself (argh)
>
> Pocket Excel on my 5550 seems to work differently
> when using the 'fill' function under Edit|Fill..
> when I want to fill cells with say, the names of
> each month from B1 through M1.
> I select the cells, Edit|Fill.. Select Direction
> Right, Fill Type Series, Series Type Date:Month
> with Step value 1, and tap OK.
> Nothing happens.

Well, I managed to duplicate your findings! ;-)

The first workaround I came up with in 30 seconds of trying (any more
than that and it would be easier just to type the months' names!) was
to do it as dates. In B1 enter 1/1/2004, fill right like you did with
the fill right/series/date/month/step 1 then reformat the cells to
display the month/year (because there's no month only display) with
Format/Cells/Number(it's a tab at bottom of
screen)/Category:D ate/Type:Mar-97.

Messy, but it works.

> Which step has to be taken differently on the
> PPC to get the same functionality as on the desktop?

PXL doesn't have all the functionality of the desktop version,
obviously!

Good luck!
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 3:56:30 PM

Thanks, i'll keep this one in mind also when I have to
set up another workbook. through unknown mysterious
ways it somehow does work at the moment but I wouldn't
be surprised if it broke again when I make a new sheet!
Really the only function in the sheet I wanted to
create is SUM(). I didn't realise I could choke on the
formatting even before using that ;)

~S.

elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock) wrote in
news:D e37a2e0.0404271011.2997d69b@posting.google.com:

--
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Thanks, i'll give it a whirl when I get home.

~S.

--
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.