slow network connection 802.11g

I have set up a peer to peer wireless network between my laptop and desktop using Belkin 802.11g cards in each machine. I access my broadband internet connection through the desktop. Unfortunately the connection speed between the computers is only 1mbps (instead of 54mbps) so it takes a long time to transfer files from my laptop to the desktop. Any help to increase the connection speed upto 54mbps will be greatly appreciated.

First, you need to understand that you will NEVER achieve 54Mbps between
computers. I will grant that 1 Mbps is slow, but even under ideal
conditions 20 to 25 Mbps is quite good, and is frankly about the best you
can hope for. You might try changing to another channel (11 tends to be
less congested than channel 6), but you are probably in an area where there
are other signals limiting your throughput. Also, if you have any single
device on the network that is 11b, then your entire network will default to
11b speeds. You cannot operate most consumer wireless networks in mixed
mode (11b and 11g simultaneously).

Your hardware is also a factor...if the chipsets are of different
brands/types, then speeds will also be negatively affected...if you are
mixing broadcom, atheros and conexant based devices then they will also work
slower.

Bobby

"mor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have set up a peer to peer wireless network between my laptop and desktop
>using Belkin 802.11g cards in each machine. I access my broadband internet
>connection through the desktop. Unfortunately the connection speed between
>the computers is only 1mbps (instead of 54mbps) so it takes a long time to
>transfer files from my laptop to the desktop. Any help to increase the
>connection speed upto 54mbps will be greatly appreciated.

get an AP!!

"mor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have set up a peer to peer wireless network between my laptop and
desktop using Belkin 802.11g cards in each machine. I access my broadband
internet connection through the desktop. Unfortunately the connection speed
between the computers is only 1mbps (instead of 54mbps) so it takes a long
time to transfer files from my laptop to the desktop. Any help to increase
the connection speed upto 54mbps will be greatly appreciated.

I noticed that too. My cable connection works fine, and I get the full
download speed (360Kbps) using the internet from my wireless laptop, but
file transfers are very sluggish between the 2 machines. How can I tell
what transfer rates I'm achieving?

"NoNoBadDog!" <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote in message
> First, you need to understand that you will NEVER achieve 54Mbps between
> computers. I will grant that 1 Mbps is slow, but even under ideal
> conditions 20 to 25 Mbps is quite good, and is frankly about the best you
> can hope for. You might try changing to another channel (11 tends to be
> less congested than channel 6), but you are probably in an area where
there
> are other signals limiting your throughput. Also, if you have any single
> device on the network that is 11b, then your entire network will default
> 11b speeds. You cannot operate most consumer wireless networks in mixed
> mode (11b and 11g simultaneously).
>
> Your hardware is also a factor...if the chipsets are of different
> brands/types, then speeds will also be negatively affected...if you are
> mixing broadcom, atheros and conexant based devices then they will also
work
> slower.
>

> Bobby
>
> "mor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have set up a peer to peer wireless network between my laptop and
desktop
> >using Belkin 802.11g cards in each machine. I access my broadband
internet
> >connection through the desktop. Unfortunately the connection speed
between
> >the computers is only 1mbps (instead of 54mbps) so it takes a long time
> >transfer files from my laptop to the desktop. Any help to increase the
> >connection speed upto 54mbps will be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Wireless LAN is not like CAT5 cable, there is No limit in Distance.

There is natural Limit due to the decline of the Signal.

People who built highly Directional Antenna and put them on Towers manage to
get 5km (Kilometers) coverage with One Entry Level Access Point(AP).

Outdoor, if you have a Clear Line of Site and you are using 8dbi or above
Good Directional Antenna 200 with 802.11g is achievable.

The Antennae has to be outdoor facing one the other.

So. Computer A - AP - Directional Antenna - Directional Antenna - AP -
Computer B

Indoor it is a different story: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Jack (MVP-networking).

"mor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have set up a peer to peer wireless network between my laptop and
desktop using Belkin 802.11g cards in each machine. I access my broadband
internet connection through the desktop. Unfortunately the connection speed
between the computers is only 1mbps (instead of 54mbps) so it takes a long
time to transfer files from my laptop to the desktop. Any help to increase
the connection speed upto 54mbps will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies. If I get 20 to 25 mbps I'll be happy.
1) I'm already using channel 11.
2) There are no devices that are 11b in the network. The network consists of only 2 computers, my laptop and my desktop.
3) Will an Access Point help because even if the laptop is next to the desktop the connection speed between the 2 machines remains at 1mbps?
4) I'm not sure of the chipsets but my my laptop is a Dell P4 3.06GZ and my desktop is a Celeron 2.6Gz machine.
In my ignorance I don't know what broadcom, atheros and conexant based devices are but all I have done is to buy a Belkin 802.11g card for my desktop and for my laptop and have networked them using Win XP.
Any suggestions to improve connection speeds between the 2 machines will be great since I transfer large files between the 2 computers regularly???