Patriot Memory Updates SSD Line With Pyro SE Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
They are not getting more affordable by any means. Almost 9 months ago when I bought a 120gb ssd it was still around $200. Now the same level of ssds have gotten better but the price has remained the same. You can keep making ssds more reliable and better and faster but the market wont expand until there is a significant drop in price.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]They are not getting more affordable by any means. Almost 9 months ago when I bought a 120gb ssd it was still around $200. Now the same level of ssds have gotten better but the price has remained the same. You can keep making ssds more reliable and better and faster but the market wont expand until there is a significant drop in price.[/citation]

Wait so they're faster and more reliable and you're bitching about the cost of $/GB not dropping?

You just sound like you're bitter because you jumped the gun.

I can't help but notice that more solid state drives are being released and we have some new players entering the market. We now have more choices than at anytime in the past. However, we are not seeing some sort of proportionate price reduction.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]Wait so they're faster and more reliable and you're bitching about the cost of $/GB not dropping?You just sound like you're bitter because you jumped the gun.[/citation]

I'm not bitter. I'm pretty happy with my ssd especially since i got it on sale and it ended costing $1.4/gb. I'm just say that the market for them won't expand like we'd like if prices stay the same.

It's nice that theyre improving in specs, but the bigger the market the more competitive it becomes and the better it is for us as consumers.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Yep they need a 160gb for $99 bucks. Cheaper than where they are now I know, but that's the price point where people will opt for one. Keep in mind that 160gb is not enough so you still need a 2nd hard drive. But it is enough to put a lot of games, a few movies and your OS on.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom] But it is enough to put a lot of games, a few movies and your OS on.[/citation]

Why would you wanna put movies on your SSD if you have a data drive? That's just a huge waste of space.

Grr8xtc

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Everytime there is news about SSDs the talk always goes to the price per gig. As always with computer components and speed, you get what you pay for.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Grr8xtc[/nom]Everytime there is news about SSDs the talk always goes to the price per gig. As always with computer components and speed, you get what you pay for.[/citation]

not exactly...

i want one of these for storage, as i have a crap ton of little files, and moving between folders sometimes can take up to 5 minutes. i have taken certain measures to prevent this, such as splitting up 200000 files into 5000 chunks.

but i need 180gb minimum for my purposes, and i want 2tb of space, all ssd, and i can have a separate 6tb set assaide for a 2tb back up of the ssd, 2tb of non ssd storage, and 2tb backup of the 2tb storage

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Yep they need a 160gb for $99 bucks. Cheaper than where they are now I know, but that's the price point where people will opt for one. Keep in mind that 160gb is not enough so you still need a 2nd hard drive. But it is enough to put a lot of games, a few movies and your OS on.[/citation]

I would sort of disagree...because that's unrealistic, seeing that a 160GB drive costs around $300 as of now. $1/GB is an acceptable price to pay for that kind of performance. something should separate a SSD from an HDD in terms of price as well. I mean they're like 3 to 10x faster (or more).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I would sort of disagree...because that's unrealistic, seeing that a 160GB drive costs around $300 as of now. $1/GB is an acceptable price to pay for that kind of performance. something should separate a SSD from an HDD in terms of price as well. I mean they're like 3 to 10x faster (or more).[/citation]

depends on the application... for me it would be close to 100x faster than a hdd

G

what is diff b/w synchronous MLC, Asynchronous MLC?
does it relate to the the notification of i/o completion?

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
There are good deals on SSD's out there if you are patient and keep an eye out for them.

A few weeks ago I bought a Corsair Force 3 120gb SSD for $135(after $30 rebate) which is just a touch over $1/gb!!!!!

halcyon

Splendid
SSDs are going to remain expensive for a while. You have to pay to play. Enthusiasts that want this kind of performance are not going to be finding it real cheap anytime soon. For most people this kind of performance is nothing but luxury...and luxury tends to cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.