all web page links hijacked

Hi,
my browser home page is hijacked, ( to ipassist.bz ), strange things are if
I manual open any web page, all the links within the page are also pointing
to ipassist.biz/searsh.php.... so my browser basically useless now, how can I
get rid of it ?

Also once reboot computer, the background is set to the something like
("virus alert, your computer has been infected by virus" which I know is a
hoax.
How to recover ?
hijackthis and adware do not seem to help in this case.
THanks
dave
2 answers Last reply
More about page links hijacked

    www.spywareinfo.com

    Dave wrote:

    > Hi,
    > my browser home page is hijacked, ( to ipassist.bz ), strange things
    > are if I manual open any web page, all the links within the page are
    > also pointing to ipassist.biz/searsh.php.... so my browser basically
    > useless now, how can I get rid of it ?
    >
    > Also once reboot computer, the background is set to the something like
    > ("virus alert, your computer has been infected by virus" which I know
    > is a hoax.
    > How to recover ?
    > hijackthis and adware do not seem to help in this case.
    > THanks
    > dave

    When you say that HJT and Ad-aware don't help, are you running the scans
    in Safe Mode? Here are general malware removal steps. You need to do
    everything with updated tools in Safe Mode. If you can't get the tools
    you need on your computer because of the hijacking, get them from
    another known-clean machine with a good Internet connection and a cd
    burner.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. To do this, go
    to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab. You'll see where you can
    delete cookies and files. For Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr
    [enter] and then:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy