Problem with radeon 9800pro

hi, and help :)

I have a Radeon 9800pro 128Mo 256bits from sapphire for one week on Asrock
k7vt4a+ , 512 mo and athlon 1.3

Yesterday i made several modifications install athlon 2600+ and the add of a
vga silencer rev 3 (and dissipator on radeon's mem)
No overclocking at all.

Ce matin je vais pour faire un doom3 et là, sur la page de menu j'ai des
variations de points, ça fourmille..
Ths morning, i went to try doom3, and the on the first page, i had "crazy
piels" moving..

I started the game and then there were black dash and triangles...
On 3dmark 2003 the first scene, no problem (the war planes) but with battle
of proxycon, the other zone with dashes and black triangles

On flatout demo, no problems
Same problem on 3dmark 2005
drivers are 4.11 from ati's site

Do you think i break something when plugging the vga silencer, but if yes
why isn't the problem on all the games ?!
I had to say that that it was hard to push off the black platic "thing"
behind the card
le ventirad d'origine, et en poussant les petis picots noirs par derrière
j'ai peut-être abimé qqch, mais ça m'étonne...

If somebody has and idea... many thanks !

--
CéhèS

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"CéhèS" <cehes-stop-@free.fr> wrote in message
> hi, and help :)
>
> I have a Radeon 9800pro 128Mo 256bits from sapphire for one week on Asrock
> k7vt4a+ , 512 mo and athlon 1.3
>
> Yesterday i made several modifications install athlon 2600+ and the add of
> a vga silencer rev 3 (and dissipator on radeon's mem)
> No overclocking at all.
>
> Ce matin je vais pour faire un doom3 et là, sur la page de menu j'ai des
> variations de points, ça fourmille..
> Ths morning, i went to try doom3, and the on the first page, i had "crazy
> piels" moving..
>
> I started the game and then there were black dash and triangles...
> On 3dmark 2003 the first scene, no problem (the war planes) but with
> battle of proxycon, the other zone with dashes and black triangles
>
> On flatout demo, no problems
> Same problem on 3dmark 2005
> drivers are 4.11 from ati's site
>
> Do you think i break something when plugging the vga silencer, but if yes
> why isn't the problem on all the games ?!
> I had to say that that it was hard to push off the black platic "thing"
> behind the card
> le ventirad d'origine, et en poussant les petis picots noirs par derrière
> j'ai peut-être abimé qqch, mais ça m'étonne...
>
> If somebody has and idea... many thanks !
>
> --
> CéhèS

My brother had problems after fitting a VGA Silencer to his 9700pro. I
suspect the sheer weight of the thing was putting stress on his card
somewhere. I also read a while ago that someone reckoned it actually kept a
layer of warm air next
to the memory chips which would run them hotter. Think about it - the
heatsink only touches the GPU and sits over the memory on one side of the
card but not touching it. Either way - remove the VGA Silencer and try with
the original cooler - remember to use fresh thermal paste. Golden rule -
only change 1 piece of hardware at a time to be sure of what works and what
causes problems.
Good luck.

Sleepy wrote :

>I also read a while ago that someone reckoned it actually
> kept a layer of warm air next to the memory chips which would run them
> hotter.
> Think about it - the heatsink only touches the GPU and sits over the
> memory on one side of
> the card but not touching it.

That is why i putted zalman alu dissipator on ram...

> Either way - remove the VGA Silencer
> and try with the original cooler - remember to use fresh thermal
> paste.

That is done, and the problem is still the same :-(

> Golden rule - only change 1 piece of hardware at a time to be
> sure of what works and what causes problems.

sure !

> Good luck.

Many thanks for your help, i think i'll send the card for warranty, after
erasing all traces !

--
CéhèS