Burned mainbord - how to recover system data from working ..

Hi!

My comp with WinXP Pro installed has experienced fatal power failure leading
to burnout of mainboard (power supply via UPS :) ). HDD with NTFS partitions
only is working and my goal is to recover system and user data in simplest
possible way. The options I consider are the following:

1) copy data to a new system and change ACL programmatically - I am a good
programmer, however, never worked with ACL before.
2) reinstall WinXP on old aprtition without formatting - usually it leads to
system with all previous system and user data restored providing there are
no errors on HDD
3) buy identical mainbord and reboot system in old computer

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jacek

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

if you need it today just put the drive in a working system and copy off the
data you need. you may have to take ownership of it as administrator if it
is protected for some reason. if you don't need it right away i would just
replace the motherboard and get it back just as it was.

"polanski24" <remove_spam_protection_polanski24@aster.pl> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> My comp with WinXP Pro installed has experienced fatal power failure
> leading
> to burnout of mainboard (power supply via UPS :) ). HDD with NTFS
> partitions
> only is working and my goal is to recover system and user data in simplest
> possible way. The options I consider are the following:
>
> 1) copy data to a new system and change ACL programmatically - I am a good
> programmer, however, never worked with ACL before.
> 2) reinstall WinXP on old aprtition without formatting - usually it leads
> system with all previous system and user data restored providing there are
> no errors on HDD
> 3) buy identical mainbord and reboot system in old computer
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jacek

Malke

Dave wrote:

> if you need it today just put the drive in a working system and copy
> off the
> data you need. you may have to take ownership of it as administrator
> if it
> is protected for some reason. if you don't need it right away i would
> just replace the motherboard and get it back just as it was.
>
> "polanski24" <remove_spam_protection_polanski24@aster.pl> wrote in
> message news:%23V3kbfXSFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi!
>>
>> My comp with WinXP Pro installed has experienced fatal power failure
>> leading
>> to burnout of mainboard (power supply via UPS :) ). HDD with NTFS
>> partitions
>> only is working and my goal is to recover system and user data in
>> simplest possible way. The options I consider are the following:
>>
>> 1) copy data to a new system and change ACL programmatically - I am a
>> good programmer, however, never worked with ACL before.
>> 2) reinstall WinXP on old aprtition without formatting - usually it
>> leads to
>> system with all previous system and user data restored providing
>> there are no errors on HDD
>> 3) buy identical mainbord and reboot system in old computer

Buy a new mainboard - it doesn't have to be the same one - and then do a
Repair Install. Here's a link to help you:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com