Upgrade from 9700Pro

Hi

I currently have: -
9700Pro - 128mb
Amd 2400XP
512mb
4x AGP Mobo

Rather than move to a 9800pro, what would be the best card to upgrade to for
reasonable money?
I want to squeeze just a bit more from my current system before a full
rebuild.

thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 9700pro

    "SlicK" <slicktheoriginal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

    " Rather than move to a 9800pro, what would be the best card to upgrade to
    for reasonable money? I want to squeeze just a bit more from my current
    system before a full rebuild. "

    What motherboard and RAM do you have? Jumping from a 9700 Pro to a 9800 Pro
    isn't worth it. You'd be better off getting a better CPU, before jumping to
    one of the newer range of cards.

    "SlicK" <slicktheoriginal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently have: -
    > 9700Pro - 128mb
    > Amd 2400XP
    > 512mb
    > 4x AGP Mobo
    >
    > Rather than move to a 9800pro, what would be the best card to upgrade to
    > for
    > reasonable money?
    > I want to squeeze just a bit more from my current system before a full
    > rebuild.
    >
    > thanks

    If you have a RAM slot free I'd upgrade another 512mb - games are getting
    real memory hogs and it'd help to play Doom3, Far Cry and Half-Life2
    smoother by reducing the disc access.

    "SlicK" <slicktheoriginal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently have: -
    > 9700Pro - 128mb
    > Amd 2400XP
    > 512mb
    > 4x AGP Mobo
    >
    > Rather than move to a 9800pro, what would be the best card to upgrade to
    > for
    > reasonable money?
    > I want to squeeze just a bit more from my current system before a full
    > rebuild.

    A 9800 Pro will yield only another 5-7% in terms of performance. The 9700
    Pro is still an excellent card. Bumping up the RAM to 1024Kb is worthwhile
    and will reduce game lag and slightly up performance. If your m/b can accept
    the XP3200+ this would be the best upgrade. You can also overclock the
    XP2400 to this level as well.

    Thanks all

    My mobo only takes upto a 2800.
    I think I will up the add some more memory and change the processor.

    "SlicK" <slicktheoriginal@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I currently have: -
    > 9700Pro - 128mb
    > Amd 2400XP
    > 512mb
    > 4x AGP Mobo
    >
    > Rather than move to a 9800pro, what would be the best card to upgrade to
    for
    > reasonable money?
    > I want to squeeze just a bit more from my current system before a full
    > rebuild.
    >
    > thanks

    Soltek SL75-DRV5
    Crucial 2x256mb PC3200

    In article <30764bF2seomkU1@uni-berlin.de>,
    slicktheoriginal@NOSPAMhotmail.com (SlicK) wrote:

    > Rather than move to a 9800pro, what would be the best card
    > to upgrade to for reasonable money?

    This year I splashed out for the first time in my life on a leading edge
    card, an X800 Pro VIVO (successfully flashed to XT). The 9700Pro it
    replaced was an excellent card (especially as I bought it for a good price
    second hand) and to be honest "all" the X800Pro gives me is x4fsaa,
    x8aniso at 1600x1200 in just about everything.

    Which is worth every penny IMO, especially for flight sims. However the
    9700Pro managed pretty well at 1280x1024, and was superb at 1024x768. In
    many ways this upgrade was all about treating myself after working too
    hard for a few years and certainly not about necessity.

    Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there. HL2 at 1600x1200 max detail
    is gorgeous. But there's not a lot wrong with it 9700Pro, even now. That
    generation of cards really seemed to cross a boundary in terms of
    performance, and the only thing that brings it or the x800Pro to their
    knees is the latest version of 3DMark... which is stunning, but hardly
    applicable to today's games.

    As someone else suggested, the first thing I'd do in your shoes is upgrade
    to 1Gb RAM. It won't exactly help frame rates (though it will smooth
    things nicely in some circumstances), but it will give your system a lot
    more elbow room to work in. Things like reloading when you die happen much
    quicker, and there's generally far less disk thrashing to contend with in
    all circumstances.

    Andrew McP

Radeon Rebuild ATI Graphics Product