KG

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Hi

I work in a school, and we have software that monitors / allows / restricts
what applications pupils are using and can use on their PC's. This runs as a
service on each client PC.

The pupils have realised that if they press the power button on the PC then
click 'cancel' when prompted do they want to save any open documents, this
allows them to kill the monitoring appication service - therefore giving them
unrestricted access to apps like internet explorer etc.

What I want to achieve is to have something like a kixtart script to run
when the PC is powering down. Does anyone know how to create an EventTrigger
to run my Kix script when the PC is preparing to power down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:FD8C1F27-C459-45B6-9EEF-60FF4974B413@microsoft.com,
KG <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi
>
> I work in a school, and we have software that monitors / allows /
> restricts what applications pupils are using and can use on their
> PC's. This runs as a service on each client PC.
>
> The pupils have realised that if they press the power button on the
> PC then click 'cancel' when prompted do they want to save any open
> documents, this allows them to kill the monitoring appication service
> - therefore giving them unrestricted access to apps like internet
> explorer etc.
>
> What I want to achieve is to have something like a kixtart script to
> run when the PC is powering down. Does anyone know how to create an
> EventTrigger to run my Kix script when the PC is preparing to power
> down.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I don't know of any way to accomplish that but see it, instead, as a fault
of the application you're using. My idea isn't going to fix anything right
away so skip reading it if you want.

First off: Monitor for the next two weeks and suspend any student caught.
Second: Contact the vendor of the application for an immediate patch.
Third: Monitor the student's classrooms where this takes place, any teacher
found continually not watching their students should be subject to
discipline as well.

Security is a process, not an application. In this case it's monitoring,
taking agressive actions, and following through to get the hole in the
application fixed.

Galen