802.11g Range Shortage Problem for WLAN

Hi All!

I have a situation here that I need to choose a wireless router for my
office to share ADSL connection. I have ADSL connection at home and I want
to use that connection in my office 200 meters aways. As far as I concern
802.11g support up to 100 meters only? So how can I accomplish this?

Please help!

Cheers,
Don

Is there no one to answer??

Please help!!

Don

"Don Wash" <don@wash.com> wrote in message
> Hi All!
>
> I have a situation here that I need to choose a wireless router for my
> office to share ADSL connection. I have ADSL connection at home and I want
> to use that connection in my office 200 meters aways. As far as I concern
> 802.11g support up to 100 meters only? So how can I accomplish this?
>
> Please help!
>
> Cheers,
> Don

> > I have a situation here that I need to choose a wireless router for my
> > office to share ADSL connection. I have ADSL connection at home and I
want
> > to use that connection in my office 200 meters aways. As far as I
concern
> > 802.11g support up to 100 meters only? So how can I accomplish this?

That's an absolute limit. One way around it might be to put an access point
100 meters away from the first to act as a repeater and then the second at
200 meters.

Tom Lake

Thanks Tom!

So what you suggesting is something like this...

[Computer A ]
'
'
'
[Access Point A]
'
'
'
[Access Point B]
'
'
'
[Computer B]

Is that true? But could you suggest where should I literally put the access
points? Because computer A and Computer B sit at different buidling which
are 200 meters away. How do I get around this?

I also have another design here....

[Computer A ]
'
'100 meters away
'
[Access Point A]
'
'100 meters away
'
[Computer B]

I'm not sure if it will work. In above design, it is only using 1 access
point and put it in the middle.

Whichever design workout, I still have no idea where should I put the access
points? On the roads? :p

Cheers!
Don

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a situation here that I need to choose a wireless router for my
> > > office to share ADSL connection. I have ADSL connection at home and I
> want
> > > to use that connection in my office 200 meters aways. As far as I
> concern
> > > 802.11g support up to 100 meters only? So how can I accomplish this?
>
> That's an absolute limit. One way around it might be to put an access
point
> 100 meters away from the first to act as a repeater and then the second at
> 200 meters.
>
> Tom Lake

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Wireless LAN is not like CAT5 cable, there is No limit in Distance.

There is natural Limit due to the decline of the Signal.

People who built highly Directional Antenna and put them on Towers manage to
get 5km (Kilometers) coverage with One Entry Level Access Point(AP).

Outdoor, if you have a Clear Line of Site and you are using 8dbi or above
Good Directional Antenna 200 with 802.11g is achievable.

The Antennae has to be outdoor facing one the other.

So. Computer A - AP - Directional Antenna - Directional Antenna - AP -
Computer B

Indoor it is a different story: http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html

Jack (MVP-networking).

> Thanks Tom!
>
> So what you suggesting is something like this...
>
> [Computer A ]
> '
> '
> '
> [Access Point A]
> '
> '
> '
> [Access Point B]
> '
> '
> '
> [Computer B]
>
> Is that true? But could you suggest where should I literally put the
access
> points? Because computer A and Computer B sit at different buidling which
> are 200 meters away. How do I get around this?
>
> I also have another design here....
>
> [Computer A ]
> '
> '100 meters away
> '
> [Access Point A]
> '
> '100 meters away
> '
> [Computer B]
>
> I'm not sure if it will work. In above design, it is only using 1 access
> point and put it in the middle.
>
> Whichever design workout, I still have no idea where should I put the
access
> points? On the roads? :p
>
> Cheers!
> Don
>
> "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > want
> > concern
> >
> > That's an absolute limit. One way around it might be to put an access
> point
> > 100 meters away from the first to act as a repeater and then the second
at
> > 200 meters.
> >
> > Tom Lake

Thanks Jack!

My last question, which brand is better in networking, Belkin or 3Com?

Thanks,
Don