Can no longer play Half-Life 2 now that I installed the 4...

Hi,

The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
freezes with a white screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

Revolvr

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
> freezes with a white screen.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

I had a problem with corrupted graphics and lock up that sounds similar.

Found something on the Steam News site about an update to the Steam client
to fix corrupted cache files, was posted today. Followed the instructions,
solved the problem. Could be it.

-- Rev

pw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
> freezes with a white screen.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>

> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work just
fine for me...

>pw wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
>> freezes with a white screen.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>

>> -pw
>> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
>> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
>

>No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work just
>fine for me...

Okay, I will give them a shot. I ended up going back to the 4.10
drivers that Hercules has had on their site since last February (Guess
they have given up supporting my 9700 Pro!) and the game is back to
normal.

Funny - after installing the original drivers I had when I installed
the game, the game/steam told me my drivers are out of date and gave
me a link to the 4.11 drivers on ATI's site! I didn't get that
message when I installed the game!

Thanks!

"Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
> pw wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
>> freezes with a white screen.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>

>> -pw
>> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
>> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
>

> No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work just
> fine for me...

Link please.

"Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
> "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message
> > pw wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
> >> freezes with a white screen.
> >>
> >> Any ideas how to fix this?
> >>

> >> -pw
> >> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> >> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
> >

> > No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work just
> > fine for me...
> >
> Link please.

Well, since you asked so nicely, you used to be able to get them from ATI
and Station Drivers, but it seems not so any more. You can get them from
Guru3d still.

"Nerdillius Maximus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message
> > "Tom Brown" <tombrown@flingersnit.com> wrote in message

> > > No idea, but try the 4.12 betas. They have tweaks for HL2 and work
just
> > > fine for me...
> > >
> > Link please.
> >

> Well, since you asked so nicely, you used to be able to get them from ATI
> and Station Drivers, but it seems not so any more. You can get them from
> Guru3d still.

Update: you USED to be able to get them from Guru 3d. Seems like link is
down. Wonder what's up? Might try a Google search, I've already got them
meself, not using them ATM because I prefer Omega's set...

On 11/19/2004 7:49 PM Nerdillius Maximus brightened our day with:

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4701.html

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 11/19/2004 7:49 PM Nerdillius Maximus brightened our day with:
>
> >"Nerdillius Maximus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>"Top Secret" <top@secret.com> wrote in message

> >just

> >>Well, since you asked so nicely, you used to be able to get them from
ATI
> >>and Station Drivers, but it seems not so any more. You can get them from
> >>Guru3d still.
> >>

> >Update: you USED to be able to get them from Guru 3d. Seems like link is
> >down. Wonder what's up? Might try a Google search, I've already got them
> >meself, not using them ATM because I prefer Omega's set...
> >

> http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4701.html

Ahh, just beat me to it. I just remembered where I got them from in the
first place, looked in last week's "history" folder and was about to post
the link...thanks :).

LymanAlpha wrote:

>>> Well, since you asked so nicely, you used to be able to get them
>>> from ATI and Station Drivers, but it seems not so any more. You can
>>> get them from Guru3d still.
>>
>> Update: you USED to be able to get them from Guru 3d. Seems like
>> link is down. Wonder what's up? Might try a Google search, I've
>> already got them meself, not using them ATM because I prefer Omega's
>> set...
>>
> http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4701.html

This is the variant that requires .NET installed? Is there a 4.12 beta that
doesn't have the Control Centre stuff?

--

/mel/

On 11/20/2004 1:07 AM /mel/ brightened our day with:

>>>Update: you USED to be able to get them from Guru 3d. Seems like
>>>link is down. Wonder what's up? Might try a Google search, I've
>>>already got them meself, not using them ATM because I prefer Omega's
>>>set...
>>>

>>http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4701.html
>>

>This is the variant that requires .NET installed? Is there a 4.12 beta that
>doesn't have the Control Centre stuff?

With the 4.12 beta I had to actually specifically download and reinstall
the control center separately.
So the download link at above is just the old CP.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

LymanAlpha wrote:

>>> http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4701.html
>>>

>> This is the variant that requires .NET installed? Is there a 4.12
>> beta that doesn't have the Control Centre stuff?
>>

> With the 4.12 beta I had to actually specifically download and
> reinstall the control center separately.
> So the download link at above is just the old CP.

Thanks, I'll give them a go then. =:)

Right, time to take a complete backup of my system drive....

--

/mel/

> "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>> On 11/19/2004 7:49 PM Nerdillius Maximus brightened our day with:

<snip>

How would the punkbuster server affect you VGA card?

>"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
>> freezes with a white screen.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>

>> -pw
>> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
>> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
>
>I had a problem with corrupted graphics and lock up that sounds similar.
>
>Found something on the Steam News site about an update to the Steam client
>to fix corrupted cache files, was posted today. Followed the instructions,
>solved the problem. Could be it.
>
>-- Rev

Do you have a link to that? I just went to the Steam news page and
don't see that mentioned.

"Son of Blahguy" <snuh@whatsamatta.edu> wrote in message

> "Nerdillius Maximus" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> >> On 11/19/2004 7:49 PM Nerdillius Maximus brightened our day with:
> >>
> <snip>
>
> How would the punkbuster server affect you VGA card?

I dunno, ask ATI...

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:45:37 -0700, pw
<***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote:

>>"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The game starts breaking up at the Valve logo screen and then it
>>> freezes with a white screen.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>>>

>>> -pw
>>> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
>>> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
>>
>>I had a problem with corrupted graphics and lock up that sounds similar.
>>
>>Found something on the Steam News site about an update to the Steam client
>>to fix corrupted cache files, was posted today. Followed the instructions,
>>solved the problem. Could be it.
>>
>>-- Rev
>>

>Do you have a link to that? I just went to the Steam news page and
>don't see that mentioned.

Right click on your steam icon and select NEWS.

Pluvious

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:45:37 -0700, pw
><***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote:
>

>>>"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message

>>>I had a problem with corrupted graphics and lock up that sounds similar.
>>>
>>>Found something on the Steam News site about an update to the Steam client
>>>to fix corrupted cache files, was posted today. Followed the instructions,
>>>solved the problem. Could be it.
>>>
>>>-- Rev
>>>

>>Do you have a link to that? I just went to the Steam news page and
>>don't see that mentioned.
>>

>Right click on your steam icon and select NEWS.
>
>Pluvious

Thanks. I installed the 4.11 ATI drivers *without* the Control Manager
and the game works fine now!