Unblocking MS Spyware Blocked Action

April 25, 2005 6:49:30 PM

A PC here does not display the Favorites. Nor can one Organize Favorites or
Add to Favorites.

Export-Import to Favorites does not work either.

The only even prior to this was that a user clicked on "Block" for a
Security Alert from MS Spyware regarding something about the Favorites
folder. Unfortunately the Block option was clicked too fast before any
details could be noted.

There is no option visible in MS Spyware to unblock this action - all events
come up blank. However the event log does show the following items:

Windows Services alert
Occurred on: 4/25/2005 at 10:12:45
The user Administrator, has decided to block the Windows service ISO
Recorder C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ImapiHelper.exe from
being added.

User Shell Folders alert
Occurred on: 4/25/2005 at 10:12:42
The user Administrator, has decided to prevent a change to the user's
defined shell folders from Favorites to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites.

How can these actions be now undone? Unfortunately System Restore was not
enabled on this particular machine.

Also MS Spyware itself cannot be uninstalled as it says something like:
%/USERPROFILE/FAVORITES/% NOT FOUND (or words to that effect)

The Favorites folder itself in Documents and Settings/Administrator/ shows
all entries intact.

This has me a bit puzzled not to say frazzled.

Thanks for any pointers.

JP
April 26, 2005 2:48:20 AM

it may have been a one-time blocking of the action instead of a selection to
always block that action. check the setting of the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders\Favorites
it should point to:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites

also check:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders\Favorites
it should be:
%USERPROFILE%\Favorites

"JP" <JP@no.spam> wrote in message
news:o D7$sCeSFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> A PC here does not display the Favorites. Nor can one Organize Favorites
or
> Add to Favorites.
>
> Export-Import to Favorites does not work either.
>
> The only even prior to this was that a user clicked on "Block" for a
> Security Alert from MS Spyware regarding something about the Favorites
> folder. Unfortunately the Block option was clicked too fast before any
> details could be noted.
>
> There is no option visible in MS Spyware to unblock this action - all
events
> come up blank. However the event log does show the following items:
>
> Windows Services alert
> Occurred on: 4/25/2005 at 10:12:45
> The user Administrator, has decided to block the Windows service ISO
> Recorder C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ImapiHelper.exe from
> being added.
>
> User Shell Folders alert
> Occurred on: 4/25/2005 at 10:12:42
> The user Administrator, has decided to prevent a change to the user's
> defined shell folders from Favorites to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites.
>
> How can these actions be now undone? Unfortunately System Restore was not
> enabled on this particular machine.
>
> Also MS Spyware itself cannot be uninstalled as it says something like:
> %/USERPROFILE/FAVORITES/% NOT FOUND (or words to that effect)
>
> The Favorites folder itself in Documents and Settings/Administrator/ shows
> all entries intact.
>
> This has me a bit puzzled not to say frazzled.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> JP

April 26, 2005 2:48:21 AM

Thanks for the response.

I just checked the registry locations and they are precisely where they
should be!

I could delete and add contents of the Favorites folder, in fact the folder
itself, but it remains totally invisible to Internet Explorer!

Very very perplexing.

JP

:
: also check:
: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
: Shell Folders\Favorites
: it should be:
: %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
:
:
: "JP" <JP@no.spam> wrote in message
: news:o D7$sCeSFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > A PC here does not display the Favorites. Nor can one Organize Favorites
: or
: > Add to Favorites.
: >
!