User Right Assignments

I have an XP Pro box, that will not users connect over the network. The
right "Access this from the network" does not and will not keep the users
listed. The default is Administrators,Users,Power Users,Backup Admins. The
settings will not save. If I go back in the users are missing. Is there a
fix for this?

TIA
Tim
4 answers Last reply
More about user assignments

    Not sure if this will help, but at least has some relation:

    1) Check that the "Server" service in Management Tools
    is running, and set to Automatic start.

    2) In Local Security Configuration\Local Directives\
    User rights assignment\Access this machine from the Network.
    Check that user groups are added in this policy.

    Regards.

    ------------------------------
    "p51mustang" <taordw@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > I have an XP Pro box, that will not users connect over the network. The
    > right "Access this from the network" does not and will not keep the users
    > listed. The default is Administrators,Users,Power Users,Backup Admins.
    The
    > settings will not save. If I go back in the users are missing. Is there
    > fix for this?
    >
    > TIA
    > Tim

    Thanks Juan,

    Server service is running, I will check the 2nd item.

    Tim

    "Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this will help, but at least has some relation:
    >
    > 1) Check that the "Server" service in Management Tools
    > is running, and set to Automatic start.
    >
    > 2) In Local Security Configuration\Local Directives\
    > User rights assignment\Access this machine from the Network.
    > Check that user groups are added in this policy.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > "p51mustang" <taordw@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > I have an XP Pro box, that will not users connect over the network. The
    > > right "Access this from the network" does not and will not keep the
    users
    > > listed. The default is Administrators,Users,Power Users,Backup Admins.
    > The
    > > settings will not save. If I go back in the users are missing. Is
    there
    > > fix for this?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Tim

    Juan,

    Where do I find this - Local Security Configuration\Local Directives\
    User rights assignment\Access this machine from the Network

    Tim

    "Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this will help, but at least has some relation:
    >
    > 1) Check that the "Server" service in Management Tools
    > is running, and set to Automatic start.
    >
    > 2) In Local Security Configuration\Local Directives\
    > User rights assignment\Access this machine from the Network.
    > Check that user groups are added in this policy.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > "p51mustang" <taordw@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > I have an XP Pro box, that will not users connect over the network. The
    > > right "Access this from the network" does not and will not keep the
    users
    > > listed. The default is Administrators,Users,Power Users,Backup Admins.
    > The
    > > settings will not save. If I go back in the users are missing. Is
    there
    > > fix for this?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Tim

    Hi Tim:

    Look for security policies in the Management Console:
    Start\Control Panel\Management Tools\Local Security Directives
    or in... Start\Run\type; secpol.msc and hit enter.

    Regarding services,there are a few other services that should be running,
    they are all related to network access, EG: Computer Browser Service,
    and others related to Clients and Network... those are enabled by default
    and unless someone has made any changes they should not be causing the
    problem. .

    Here are some pages on how network shares should be configured and
    how to grant access to user groups, plus how to access those shares quicker
    by means of shortcuts or typing the share in the Run command,
    and more info you should find interesting and may help you find the
    solution.

    Microsoft Windows XP - How-to articles - Network Troubleshooting -
    http://support.microsoft.com/winxp?sid=184

    How to create and delete hidden or administrative shares on client computers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314984#2

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

    You cannot access shared files and folders or browse computers in the
    workgroup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318030

    My Computer and Windows Explorer unexpectedly quit when you try to open My
    Network Places or Shared Documents in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831938

    Program opens a file as read-only or returns a sharing violation or "access
    denied" message when opening from or saving to a network folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328170

    HOW TO: Create a Shortcut to a Network Location in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308416

    Regards.

    > Where do I find this - Local Security Configuration\Local Directives\
    > User rights assignment\Access this machine from the Network
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > "Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> wrote in message
    > > Not sure if this will help, but at least has some relation:
    > >
    > > 1) Check that the "Server" service in Management Tools
    > > is running, and set to Automatic start.
    > >
    > > 2) In Local Security Configuration\Local Directives\
    > > User rights assignment\Access this machine from the Network.
    > > Check that user groups are added in this policy.
    > >
    > > Regards.
    > >
    > > ------------------------------
    > > "p51mustang" <taordw@yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > > I have an XP Pro box, that will not users connect over the network.
    The
    > > > right "Access this from the network" does not and will not keep the
    > users
    > > > listed. The default is Administrators,Users,Power Users,Backup
    Admins.
    > > The
    > > > settings will not save. If I go back in the users are missing. Is
    > there
    > > > fix for this?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > > Tim