Screech and lock up on all games

I have had rare random problems with most all games where the game would
lock up and I would hear a very loud screeching/static sound from all
speakers. Requires a reset to get out.

This has been happening ever since I installed an ATI 9700 Pro card. But it
has been rare enough that I have not really worried about it.

But I have installed Half-Life 2, and this happens all the time now after a
few minutes of game play. I can prevent it by turning off AA.

Anyone else had a similar problem they have managed to resolve? Framerates
seem fine with AA enabled, and this game screams for AA.

I am using a Gigabyte board, 1GB RAM, 2.8GHz P4 CPU ATI 4.11 drivers. Audigy
Gamer

TIA

-- Rev
2 answers Last reply
More about screech lock games

    Revolvr Wrote:
    > I have had rare random problems with most all games where the game
    > would
    > lock up and I would hear a very loud screeching/static sound from all
    > speakers. Requires a reset to get out.
    >
    > This has been happening ever since I installed an ATI 9700 Pro card.
    > But it
    > has been rare enough that I have not really worried about it.
    >
    > But I have installed Half-Life 2, and this happens all the time now
    > after a
    > few minutes of game play. I can prevent it by turning off AA.
    >
    > Anyone else had a similar problem they have managed to resolve?
    > Framerates
    > seem fine with AA enabled, and this game screams for AA.
    >
    > I am using a Gigabyte board, 1GB RAM, 2.8GHz P4 CPU ATI 4.11 drivers.
    > Audigy
    > Gamer
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > -- Rev

    I've got the exact same problem. hardlock, scratchy sound from the
    speakers
    my system:
    pentium4 2.53GHz
    radeon 9800 pro
    asus motherboard
    1 GB ram
    catalyst 4.11
    audigy 2

    It first happened about 2 weeks after I bought the computer while
    playing warcraft 3, this means its can't be conflicting with something
    i've installed, which means its either windows or hardware related.
    I've seen it happen in Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, The Sims 2, Need for Speed
    UG2, starwars kotor (alot), Sid Meier's Pirates (even more, like after 2
    minutes of play without fail), Age of Mythology, Shogun: total war, jedi
    academy. If someone could figure out what all those games have in
    common it might help.

    some games that run without problem are:
    far cry, doom 3, evil genius, GTA, GTA vice city, the sims 1, deus ex
    2, gangland, homeworld 2, neverwinter nights, morrowwind

    (goddamn, i play to many vids)

    When I first started seeing the problem I was using a Radeon 9200, I
    later upgraded to a Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro 256mb, hoping to get rid
    of the problem, it got worse.

    I found with some games, the sims 2 is a good example, that when you
    turn down the graphics its alot more stable. that doesn't always work
    though. Also i find that the further i get into the game the more
    frequently it crashes. This seems like it might be temperature
    related. But the card is at most warm to the touch, not hot in the
    least. Plus i opened the case and aimed a big desk fan at the card
    with no improvement. This is hard to test for sure without a probe
    though, i still think this is the problem. Appearently the occasional
    radeon card has faulty heat sinks, so the fan could be running but not
    be doing any good.

    I'm pretty sure its not driver related. I was seeing the problem long
    before catalyist came out
    It could be direct x or open GL or something along those lines.

    Its not a very common problem. I've only seen several postings with
    the exact same symptoms, and some of them used nvidia.

    Thats what i know about it
    I'll keep posting what more i find out

    C bass

    --
    Pieth0n

    "Pieth0n" <Pieth0n.1gxp0a@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message
    > Revolvr Wrote:
    >
    > I'm pretty sure its not driver related. I was seeing the problem long
    > before catalyist came out
    > It could be direct x or open GL or something along those lines.
    >
    > Its not a very common problem. I've only seen several postings with
    > the exact same symptoms, and some of them used nvidia.
    >
    > Thats what i know about it
    > I'll keep posting what more i find out
    >
    > C bass

    Get rid of the soundblaster card - it's the #1 culprit for many video
    instability/sound issues.
    Especially a good idea if u have a VIA based chipset. They have no idea how
    to write proper drivers..

Radeon Games ATI Graphics