Anti-Virus, Malware and Anti-Hijacking Programs

I have several anti-virus and spyware programs that I run several times a
week, that include MS Malicious Software Removal Tool, AdAware, SpyBot, SBC
Anti-Spy, McAfee VirusScan, McAfee Stinger, Trend SysClean, and I run a
program in safe mode in DOS after I back up my registery. By the names of
the programs, they all seem to search out viruses, worms and trojans.

On two occasions within the past year, my accounts at two internet sites
that include the transfer of money/selling or buying items have had proven
hijacking attempts.

In addition, and this is just about never heard of, when I was at WinMX
yesterday, 3 songs in a time period of about 5 minutes were added to my list
of songs that I wanted to download. I didn't add the songs to my list, they
"added themselves to my list." They appeared and attempted to download. I
instantly stopped the connection before the songs started to download and did
a complete sweep of my computer using each program named above. It took me
10 hours (Trend SysClean took 8 hours!).

My questions is: Do the above programs also scan for hijacking attempts or
is there another program that I can download/run to see if someone is
attempting to hijack my computer?

I need to determine if someone is attempting to hijack my computer again
because I just recently resumed using the 2 sites where money is involved.
5 answers Last reply
More about anti virus malware anti hijacking programs

    I should also tell you that I have Windows XP and have SP2 installed. In
    addition, all of the anti-virus, malware, etc, programs that I listed have
    the latest updates.

    From: "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I have several anti-virus and spyware programs that I run several times a
    | week, that include MS Malicious Software Removal Tool, AdAware, SpyBot, SBC
    | Anti-Spy, McAfee VirusScan, McAfee Stinger, Trend SysClean, and I run a
    | program in safe mode in DOS after I back up my registery. By the names of
    | the programs, they all seem to search out viruses, worms and trojans.
    |
    | On two occasions within the past year, my accounts at two internet sites
    | that include the transfer of money/selling or buying items have had proven
    | hijacking attempts.
    |
    | In addition, and this is just about never heard of, when I was at WinMX
    | yesterday, 3 songs in a time period of about 5 minutes were added to my list
    | of songs that I wanted to download. I didn't add the songs to my list, they
    | "added themselves to my list." They appeared and attempted to download. I
    | instantly stopped the connection before the songs started to download and did
    | a complete sweep of my computer using each program named above. It took me
    | 10 hours (Trend SysClean took 8 hours!).
    |
    | My questions is: Do the above programs also scan for hijacking attempts or
    | is there another program that I can download/run to see if someone is
    | attempting to hijack my computer?
    |
    | I need to determine if someone is attempting to hijack my computer again
    | because I just recently resumed using the 2 sites where money is involved.

    All the software in the world will NOT make up for not practicing Safe Hex !

    If you go to a web site that anti virus software has no definitions for then you can get
    infected. The most important tool you have to use to prtect yourselof is YOU. When you
    practice Safe Hex you will find that all that software is not needed. Just an active AV
    application properly configured and running "On Access" scanning in the background.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Hi David,

    Thanks for responding to my post. I believe I do practice safe hex (good
    one). The sites are as trustworthy as the MS home page. I don't surf the
    net because of the dangers you mentioned.

    My question is, are there anti-hijacking tool programs that I can download,
    or are virus tools anti-hijacking tools in themselves?

    From: "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Hi David,
    |
    | Thanks for responding to my post. I believe I do practice safe hex (good
    | one). The sites are as trustworthy as the MS home page. I don't surf the
    | net because of the dangers you mentioned.
    |
    | My question is, are there anti-hijacking tool programs that I can download,
    | or are virus tools anti-hijacking tools in themselves?
    |
    | "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    As far as I know, there is no specific "anti hijacking" software. It is a sub-class of both
    anti virus and non-viral anti malware. So it takes a conmbination of both your anti virus
    application and software such as; Ad-aware SE, SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, etc.

    One should *always* check with SpywareWarrior for bad anti malware software.

    I suggest you re-look at your computing habits. I have been on the Internet since the late
    '80's (CompuServe) and having been fighting viruses since ~90 and to date I have never been
    infected with viral or non-viral malware and I "handle" them often.

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    I have learned the hard way to keep away from most internet sites, including
    those that offer free fonts, jokes, etc. The two sites that I mentioned are
    eBay and PayPal. These are sites that are secure where one doesn't or
    shouldn't have to worry about hijacking. However, in the past year, those
    accounts and my email account have been hijacked. After the second attempt,
    I started to change my passwords on a weekly basis to all of my accounts,
    including email, netpassport, and any other sites that require a password. I
    mentioned the numerous spyware and anti-virus programs that I have and I run
    them every evening prior to logging off and I have still had my accounts
    hijacked. Mind you, I'm not rich or even in the middle class so that the
    reason that I have been singled out is a mystery, unless the hijackers like
    the challenge of breaking into accounts that are so solidly guarded. I'll
    download the programs for which you have given me the URL. Thanks again for
    responding and trying to help me.

    Denise

    "David H. Lipman" wrote:

    > From: "denisedenise" <denisedenise@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | Hi David,
    > |
    > | Thanks for responding to my post. I believe I do practice safe hex (good
    > | one). The sites are as trustworthy as the MS home page. I don't surf the
    > | net because of the dangers you mentioned.
    > |
    > | My question is, are there anti-hijacking tool programs that I can download,
    > | or are virus tools anti-hijacking tools in themselves?
    > |
    > | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
    >
    > As far as I know, there is no specific "anti hijacking" software. It is a sub-class of both
    > anti virus and non-viral anti malware. So it takes a conmbination of both your anti virus
    > application and software such as; Ad-aware SE, SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, etc.
    >
    > One should *always* check with SpywareWarrior for bad anti malware software.
    > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    >
    > I suggest you re-look at your computing habits. I have been on the Internet since the late
    > '80's (CompuServe) and having been fighting viruses since ~90 and to date I have never been
    > infected with viral or non-viral malware and I "handle" them often.
    >
    > http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm